What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin? Team X introduces the G5 electronic flight instrument

With this new Garmin and also concerning the G3X touch, can we use the ray allen electric trim servos for the autopilot or should we install the garmin autopilot servos, regardless of using the ray allen for electric trim?

Hello John,

It is two different systems. An autopilot servo performs the same job as the human pilot, but both the autopilot and the human pilot need elevator trim, and for the same reasons. So if you were going to install electric elevator trim already, that will not change if you choose to install an autopilot.

- Matt

This is an exciting competitor to the MGL XTreme and Dynon D10A but it would be really nice if one could connect an OAT sensor and then have it calculate and display wind direction. Calculated wind direction can be very useful.

Disappointing that there's no EMS but not a deal breaker. I would have liked wind though.

This is an exciting competitor to the MGL XTreme and Dynon D10A but it would be really nice if one could connect an OAT sensor and then have it calculate and display wind direction. Calculated wind direction can be very useful.

Disappointing that there's no EMS but not a deal breaker. I would have liked wind though.

Hello CGameProgrammer,

We agree that it would be great to be able to do everything on a 3.5-inch display. However, we intentionally set out to keep the G5 as a very simple, straightforward instrument without a lot of extraneous features that add complexity. Unfortunately a small device the size of an attitude indicator can't realistically incorporate every feature of our larger displays.

Perhaps your needs would be better met by the GDU 450/455 display, which supports flight instruments, engine instruments, autopilot control, and (yes) OAT on a full-featured 7-inch display.

- Matt

Well I'd definitely use some kind of touchscreen all-in-one EFIS as my main instrument, but wind direction in the mini EFIS is useful as well. The MGL unit supports it; it's just an arrow and a number so it doesn't need much space.

Is the lower-right thing a rotary knob, and does it adjust the barometer by default?

Garmin G5-Garmin Team X

When using G5 in HSI mode, can it be connected to a GTN 650 for full vor,loc,gs,GPS approaches and navigation?

I read where one garmin product gn155 I believe could do all listed approaches and navigation through a rs232 wire? Then thought I read where a Garmin 430w needed a GAD 29 arinc 429 connector?

I have a GTN 650 currently using a GI109 indicator would like to dedicate it to the G5 in HSI mode.

Thanks for your time
RV7A -Flying

When using G5 in HSI mode, can it be connected to a GTN 650 for full vor,loc,gs,GPS approaches and navigation?

Hello jcfolck,

Yes, the G5 HSI can display lateral and vertical deviation from both the GPS and VOR/ILS portions of a GTN 650. This does require installation of the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter.

- Matt

I read where one garmin product gn155 I believe could do all listed approaches and navigation through a rs232 wire? Then thought I read where a Garmin 430w needed a GAD 29 arinc 429 connector?

I have a GTN 650 currently using a GI109 indicator would like to dedicate it to the G5 in HSI mode.

Thanks for your time
RV7A -Flying

Same question, but extended to the GNS480, which is our primary navigator. Would be fantastic if full approach guidance were available on the G5 via an RS232 interface, thus making this a true backup to the primary displays.

Same question, but extended to the GNS480, which is our primary navigator. Would be fantastic if full approach guidance were available on the G5 via an RS232 interface, thus making this a true backup to the primary displays.

Hello Canadian_JOY,

Same question, so same answer: The G5 receives lateral and vertical deviation data from an IFR GPS in the same manner that a G3X system does, i.e. via the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter.

- Matt

Thanks for the quick reply, Matt. It looks like you were answering jcfolck while I was typing my question. I guess I'm going to have to spend some more time thinking about exactly how far I can go with my redundancy planning. I do very much like the G5 as a dissimilar backup instrument to my non-Garmin primary displays.

Brian,

I have a GPS 400W and a VAL NAV2000 radio, both with RS-232 output. Will the G5's HSI accept nav data from these instruments?

Thanks,

John

I have a GPS 400W and a VAL NAV2000 radio, both with RS-232 output. Will the G5's HSI accept nav data from these instruments?

Hello John,

Yes, the G5 can display basic VFR navigation data from a GPS 400W or any other Garmin IFR GPS via its RS-232 input, and can display IFR lateral and vertical deviation when used with the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter.

Sorry, we don't know anything about the other instrument you mentioned. If you contact us using the email address below we might be able to help.

Also, keep in mind that the G5 can only supports a single navigation source. This can include both the GPS and VOR/ILS portions of a GTN 650/750 or GNS 430/530 since they are contained within the same unit, but the two separate boxes you mentioned would not both be supported.

- Matt

Will a GSU 73 provide the same ARINC 429 functionality as a GAD 29 (for GTN interface)?

Yes, when a G5 is installed as part of an existing G3X system that includes a GSU 73, the G5 receives navigation data from the #1 IFR GPS or NAV radio via the GSU 73's ARINC 429 inputs.

- Matt

For those interested in using the G5 as a standalone HSI, are there provisions to use the GMU 22 Magnetometer in addition to the GAD 29 ARINC interface? Assuming there's support for a standalone GMU 22, how would you characterise the performance difference between track and heading?

I have a GRT Mini-AP with ARINC interface, is it possible to have both ARINC interfaces connected to a single GNS-430 (non-waas)? How does upstream data (such as OBS) get sorted? Would the G5 be the only device sending OBS and the Mini-AP simply display the localiser and glide slope (in addition to the G5)?

Rh0hZKNIVzcAGVC8iA-Pnt91e-zBYMK4rN4rVt0A0vbYnEoQJsURQjNL6yCBretavc34ZsZusp4Zb--l9ZtTxozkx0bmujIwYQFD4hrE77MfDHQgQQaG2GvlWMRsZY857sOSPY1lvAna2EhlILPDs4ZAt9t1VDM9GnjJNwCQpKeokLMObGgWsRHybPGohP1CWDhP7AmVqSCFjg-sQzvB0Ey0fGDDf7RAofzhiRDe-vi0SpWb8X5-OvVPd2UR5Lff4tAFbsOB37uxvdQC0NRqcunHTOY4TMI65Y8p9sUF1na1GsKmVbRYJEbOIQBWtisWyFwlV1qq4PPJfA2Q1H_UhTdDNrRZWpBkAQ36XWXOaZvCsC_ivF5L-t5tZHV-60Yd16Nfox1Gin9SXWRAyhj1vEDT2fXsuJibgxMWUJ0DorS4gmB4MwYVlVwgCryP5og7VpQQZIlZziXVBq_xRXh6BB8lhYQg6bzgOr-G8LcluOp5W5oJT-vFxxyrMsygy4TxDV7unRQAg4SQEMQ88r4tb-wdnHXIDHyvVI0YPxc55YQRIpgDRAYzR_PIXw-5anrOrS5h=w288-h307-no

looks a little slow... I wonder if they will make a faster version for our RV's:D

For those interested in using the G5 as a standalone HSI, are there provisions to use the GMU 22 Magnetometer in addition to the GAD 29 ARINC interface? Assuming there's support for a standalone GMU 22, how would you characterise the performance difference between track and heading?

I have a GRT Mini-AP with ARINC interface, is it possible to have both ARINC interfaces connected to a single GNS-430 (non-waas)? How does upstream data (such as OBS) get sorted? Would the G5 be the only device sending OBS and the Mini-AP simply display the localiser and glide slope (in addition to the G5)?

Hello jeffk,

At the present time, a G5 installed as a standalone instrument displays only GPS ground track, not magnetic heading.

We don't know anything about the other unit you mentioned, but in general there should not be problem connecting the ARINC 429 outputs from your GNS 430 to the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter and something else. You would still make your OBS course selection on the G5 when performing VOR/ILS navigation, but the G5 does not need to transmit OBS course to the GNS 430. The GAD 29 operates in a receive-only mode since the GNS 430 does not need to receive OBS data for VOR/ILS navigation.

- Matt

looks a little slow... I wonder if they will make a faster version for our RV's:D

Hello Derek,

The G5 supports airspeeds of over 300 knots indicated. That should be plenty unless the RV-15 is a jet!

- Matt

Last edited:
announcement

Thanks for not waiting for today to announce the new product, I would have spent all weekend wondering...

G Limit ?

I have not seen any Max degrees per second in pitch, yaw and roll published. Nor a max sustained G limit.

Just curious what happens when little G encounters heavy G or a 5 turn spin.

I have not seen any Max degrees per second in pitch, yaw and roll published. Nor a max sustained G limit.

Just curious what happens when little G encounters heavy G or a 5 turn spin.

Hello F1R,

Good question. The G5's attitude calculations do not have an acceleration (G) limit. The G5's attitude gyros (pitch/roll/yaw) are rated up to 500 degrees per second. If you exceed 500 degrees per second, the G5 will need to spend a few seconds realigning, and I expect you will also.

- Matt

Looks like a link to the webinar has been added to the first post of this thread for those like me that had to work at 10am yesterday.... :p

Looks like a link to the webinar has been added to the first post of this thread for those like me that had to work at 10am yesterday.... :p

There's an easy solution to that....just get a job where you get paid to watch those webinars at work! 😜

ADS-B position source

Can the WAAS GPS of the G5 be used to provide an "approved" WAAS position source for ADS-B out?

Can the WAAS GPS of the G5 be used to provide an "approved" WAAS position source for ADS-B out?

Hello DoubleA,

No, the internal VFR WAAS GPS receiver in the G5 does not meet the requirements for an ADS-B position source. For aircraft not equipped with a TSO-C146 IFR GPS navigator, we do offer the GPS 20A, which is a rule-compliant GPS position source that satisfies the requirements of the ADS-B Out mandate when connected to a compatible Mode S transponder.

- Matt

But if I installed the GSU 25 and GMU 22 I could get mag heading even if I never have had a G3X connected, right?

(One of the options I now consider is to have a panel with the G5 initially as the primary instrument. And to have the panel wired/prepared for a G3X when my wallet has recovered from the airplane building)

Hello control - Thanks for the detailed questions, and we are happy you are interested in the G5.

Sorry, but the combination of a G5 plus a GSU 25 and GMU 22 without a G3X system is not currently supported. The reason is that you would need a GDU display from the G3X system in order to do the initial calibration of the GSU 25 AHRS and GMU 22 magnetometer. In a full G3X system where the G5 is a backup instrument, the G5 is able to get magnetic heading from the GSU/GMU even without a GDU display present, but that initial calibration and setup has to be done via a GDU. A standalone G5, not installed in conjunction with a G3X system, will always display GPS ground track instead of magnetic heading.

However, you are on the right track with taking a building-block approach. You could even install a pair of GSA 28 autopilot servos and a GMC 307 mode control panel along with your G5, and then reuse these components and their wiring later on when you upgrade your panel to a full G3X system!

- Matt

Date available

Hi Garmin guys....
Is the unit delivering yet? Assume I can purchase from Stein.

Thanks
Gary

Hi Garmin guys....
Is the unit delivering yet? Assume I can purchase from Stein.

Thanks
Gary

Hello Gary,

We expect to be shipping G5 units later this month.

Thank you for your interest,
Steve

Matt,

That looks like it could be a good fit in the back seat of a tandem.

Can it be slaved to the main unit without plumbing in the pitot and static?

That looks like it could be a good fit in the back seat of a tandem.

Can it be slaved to the main unit without plumbing in the pitot and static?

Hello Mark,

If you install a G5 in what we call a "standalone" installation, in other words, not connected to any other displays and operating all by itself, you do have the option to disable the unit's internal air data sensors. In this configuration it is more or less just an attitude indicator, with optional display of GPS altitude, groundspeed, and track. This option is intended for installations where connecting to the pitot/static system is not feasible. Of course this precludes the use of the G5 with our autopilot servos.

If you are referring to installing a G5 as a back-seat display in an aircraft with a full G3X system, then you would need to connect the G5 to the aircraft's pitot/static system. Keep in mind that a G5 provides a backup source of attitude and air data to the GDU displays in a G3X system, so in addition to a redundant flight instrument display you are effectively also getting a redundant ADAHRS for your G3X display.

- Matt

The YouTube G5 video refers specifically to integration to the G3X Touch; does the G5 also integrate with the non-touch G3X ??

The YouTube G5 video refers specifically to integration to the G3X Touch; does the G5 also integrate with the non-touch G3X ??

Hello Larry,

Yes, the capabilities of the G5 and its integration with our full-size displays is identical whether you have an original G3X or G3X Touch system.

- Matt

[Continued?]

Further expanding the utility of a standard back-up display, the G5 electronic flight instrument can be paired with the GMC 307 or GMC 305 autopilot mode controllers and GSA 28 autopilot servos to serve as a standalone autopilot solution, delivering a simple and cost-effective avionics suite. When paired with these systems, the G5 displays autopilot mode annunciation alongside primary flight instrumentation. If paired with a Garmin portable such as the aera? 660 or aera 796/795, the portable can easily be connected via the serial port on the G5 to allow the autopilot to couple laterally to a flight plan and vertically to a VNAV descent profile. The installation would be well set up for future expansion to a full G3X suite if desired.

_n0hrI0JD3xBvSdaDj-dBXkx5dO21gA2nKdE22TUNdo70h4zziNmmoz5bbJruUhZFOsjxj-HCti8DY_WGEim87a7gnR7FQq-TTsAGe5rOnG3Ska2kFtmCdRbV7kq-0QEM6n75zBrLb9nlx5FNY3LhZIrvBMVKKXgxeBlK_oNoRaAQHyH22YYUUR3BIwMuWxkpgfxSZBjpWuj6csu8e7oYplLKlu6iA0DAjbLS7WFcOjNMlz9iAEu6WJATbj8vhCZ3ls7Tl9s4dAdMGkr6syGsSrP865bHBKAo2MCwQ1coeH-g7JCuQiYquK4F1vvxmhpD3XGahzK18fzVaHC-pF5i8SLID8jBQ-LdyqDufSjjB5aOLVfMsc8JUoPj1rZuhdbd32-8bGoz_VIUgv8M39E2T8SGXNvSXwqwsyFzWOaN7EhFsmJJLtItkzE64I8n4lQc4jLxCMnDhuDzR1Ggsl5AWsamY0J2PwEzjmX6cyFE3S_rjQt6aHNY8yefIOSc_Dy9OZ_t1-909iM6_igY6au3evMclWefbfl29YhNLmfa8jFtwq3TrQBpDOH5ud6xk2EuqDh=w624-h510-no

With or without a G3X display, the G5 retains the capability to provide back-up or standalone autopilot functionality, including the ability to fly coupled GPS approaches when paired with a compatible IFR navigator. Additional autopilot modes are selectable from the GMC 307 and GMC 305 including heading, pitch, roll, altitude hold, vertical speed hold and airspeed hold. When the autopilot is engaged, airspeed protection is also provided. Additionally, Level Mode is supported, which engages the autopilot to bring the aircraft to level flight.

As usual, if you have any questions or feedback, please contact a Garmin dealer or reach us directly using the information in our signature line below.

Thanks!
Brian

why can't garmin make this for the certified market i would like this for my taylorcraft

Does anyone know when you can actually purchase and receive one?

Hi David,

A few customers were able to buy them and take them home from Sun-N-Fun.

We have a pretty healthy order backlog that we are working through and have increased production to deal with higher than expected demand.

Thanks,
Steve

Question for Team X,

First of all you guys are doing amazing stuff with avionics and revolutionizing GA flying, the G5 is another example of this, congratulations.

I know you mentioned you wanted to keep the programming code to a minimum for safety and simplicity but would it be possible to write in some additional code to allow the G5 to directly drive a single roll servo via canbus and/or rs-232 via the heading bug on the G5?

What I'm getting at is a simple "wing leveler" autopilot for under $2k, that would be amazing for the ultra simple aircraft on a tight budget with minimal panel space. The competition would have difficulty matching this kind of performance package. The package would simply consist of the G5, GSA-28 roll servo and installtion kits.

I'm ready to order!

Thanks Team X!

(and thanks to VAF Forums for having one of the best GA info forums on the web)

Question for Team X,

First of all you guys are doing amazing stuff with avionics and revolutionizing GA flying, the G5 is another example of this, congratulations.

I know you mentioned you wanted to keep the programming code to a minimum for safety and simplicity but would it be possible to write in some additional code to allow the G5 to directly drive a single roll servo via canbus and/or rs-232 via the heading bug on the G5?

What I'm getting at is a simple "wing leveler" autopilot for under $2k, that would be amazing for the ultra simple aircraft on a tight budget with minimal panel space. The competition would have difficulty matching this kind of performance package. The package would simply consist of the G5, GSA-28 roll servo and installtion kits.

I'm ready to order!

Thanks Team X!

I believe you can get a mini EFIS with one axis autopilot today, from GRT, for close to your target price of $2K.

Last edited:
Question for Team X,

I'm ready to order!

Thanks Team X!

Hello Piperpilot,

Thank you for kind words.

We have you covered with the single axis autopilot. All of our G3X systems, and now the G5 support 1 to 3 autopilot servos, so you may certainly install a single roll axis GSA 28 servo and use only the lateral autopilot functions if you wish.

This is explained on page 42 of the Rev. B G5 User's Manual. The autopilot configuration page on the G5 lets you tell the G5 how many servos you have installed.

Note that you would also need either a GMC 305 (~$750) or GMC 307 (~$1,099) autopilot control panel.

_n0hrI0JD3xBvSdaDj-dBXkx5dO21gA2nKdE22TUNdo70h4zziNmmoz5bbJruUhZFOsjxj-HCti8DY_WGEim87a7gnR7FQq-TTsAGe5rOnG3Ska2kFtmCdRbV7kq-0QEM6n75zBrLb9nlx5FNY3LhZIrvBMVKKXgxeBlK_oNoRaAQHyH22YYUUR3BIwMuWxkpgfxSZBjpWuj6csu8e7oYplLKlu6iA0DAjbLS7WFcOjNMlz9iAEu6WJATbj8vhCZ3ls7Tl9s4dAdMGkr6syGsSrP865bHBKAo2MCwQ1coeH-g7JCuQiYquK4F1vvxmhpD3XGahzK18fzVaHC-pF5i8SLID8jBQ-LdyqDufSjjB5aOLVfMsc8JUoPj1rZuhdbd32-8bGoz_VIUgv8M39E2T8SGXNvSXwqwsyFzWOaN7EhFsmJJLtItkzE64I8n4lQc4jLxCMnDhuDzR1Ggsl5AWsamY0J2PwEzjmX6cyFE3S_rjQt6aHNY8yefIOSc_Dy9OZ_t1-909iM6_igY6au3evMclWefbfl29YhNLmfa8jFtwq3TrQBpDOH5ud6xk2EuqDh=w624-h510-no

You can drive the autopilot will something as simple as a Garmin portable instrument like the new aera 660, or something as sophisticated as a GTN 750.

We hope you also consider installing a pitch servo so you don't miss out on altitude hold and the other great vertical mode capabilities including coupled VNAV descents from cruise altitude to pattern altitude.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks again Team X,

What I was implying in my note was to avoid the GMC/305/307 and have the G5 talk directly to one GSA 28 servo for a "budget autopilot" for the small stuff. I completely understand the installation document and drawings for the "full blown" G5 + GMC 307+ 3x GSA 28`s for the hot rods.

Just wondering if program code could be added for G5 + 1 GSA 28 roll servo only, and of course connected to the portable GPS via rs-232.

Best

I have another question :)

I would like to Install the following devices:
- G3X Touch System
- GMA 245
- GTR-255
- G5

Would it be possible to have a Flight Plan active (GPS) on the G3X and in
parallel the G5 as a HSI with the GTR225 as a NAV Source (via RS-232)?

Or is the HSI on the G3X alsways coupled with the HSI on the G5?

Cheers Yves

I would like to Install the following devices:
- G3X Touch System
- GMA 245
- GTR-255
- G5

Would it be possible to have a Flight Plan active (GPS) on the G3X and in
parallel the G5 as a HSI with the GTR225 as a NAV Source (via RS-232)?

Or is the HSI on the G3X alsways coupled with the HSI on the G5?

Hello Yves,

That particular usage scenario would not be supported by the G5. Here is why:

When a G5 is installed as a backup instrument as part of a G3X system, the G5 cannot display any navigation data as long as any of the G3X system's GDU displays are present and communicating. This is because the G3X system supports multiple different navigation sources, while the G5 is a simple instrument that supports only a single navigation source.

If a G5 is installed as a backup instrument as part of a G3X system, and all GDU displays are removed from the network, then the G5 will display data from its single supported navigation source as part of its backup-instrument duties.

The GDU displays in a G3X system do not provide navigation data to a G5, because the G5's ability to display navigation data only comes into play when all GDU displays are missing.

A single G5 that is installed as part of a G3X system is not able to display the HSI page if no GDU displays are present. That would require the flight instruments to be removed from the screen, which would defeat its purpose as a backup flight instrument. Lateral/vertical deviation and selected course are also displayed on the G5's flight instruments page, so access to the HSI page is not necessary to navigate.

A G5 that is installed as a standalone instrument - in other words, not part of a G3X system - can display the HSI page at any time, and always displays navigation data from its single navigation input.

If two G5's are installed, either as part of a G3X system or as a standalone installation, then one G5 can display flight instruments and one can display the HSI page.

For all G5 installations, both standalone or installed as part of a G3X system, the connected navigation source can be any one of the following:

• A GPS that provides RS-232 data (e.g. portable GPS or older panel-mount GPS)
  • A VOR/ILS NAV radio that provides RS-232 data (e.g. GNC 255 / SL 30)
  • A navigator that provides ARINC 429 data (e.g. GTN 6xx/7xx or GNS 4xx/5xx series). Both GPS and VOR/ILS data are supported from a single ARINC 429 navigation source.

- Matt

In any G3X "system", there is only one HSI, all connected screens mirror each other.

However the magic of an HSI is that you have one CDI and 2 Bearing (or RMI) pointers to use any way you like.

So you can have the main CDI driven by the GPS or the GTR255 VOR/LOC and at the same time be driving the 2 bearing pointers each with a different source.

Hi Brian - Yes, you have it exactly right.

I am not sure how the GTR255 works around the primary and standby NAV channels. The old SL-30 had the ability to monitor the standby and output guidance for that as well. Not sure if the GTR255 works that way or not. If it does, you should be able to have both VOR and LOC info at the same time out of the same box. If not, you would have to have two NAV capable receivers. Maybe TeamX will answer this question.

The G3X system does not display any navigation data from the standby NAV frequency on the GNC 255 or SL 30 radio. So, to display bearing pointers for two NAV frequencies, you would need two NAV radios.

- Matt

Production?

Anyone hear how production is going with the new G5? I was sort of hoping to have the "complete package" of g3x and a G5 all installed in time for the Boone RV Days, but I'm gonna be running out of time if they show up in the next week or so.

Jim

Garmin G5

I order two Garmin G5 and install kit from my Garmin dealer and he told me they were projecting May 18, 2016.

RV7A-Flying

Hey guys at G3expert, any thought on reducing the cost for the yaw servo install kit for the RV 10. I was going to install the yaw servo but was sticker shocked when I found out the price for the install kit was the same price as a servo.

Am I reading correctly that, for a standalone installation, the HSI information must come from a connected GPS navigator, not the internal GPS in the G5 instrument? I presume this would be because the G5 does not carry any database.

If so, is there any thought on the distant horizon to incorporating a database in the G5 to allow it to display limited backup navigation (eg, bearing/distance to airport or navaid) info as a standalone system (a bit like the Avmap Ultra)?

Back