What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photos of Checker cowlings??? Anyone?

Let me know if you'd like to see something more specific.

cowl.jpg

Not an RV, but...

...sorry, couldn't resist :eek:

Checkerbird.jpg

checkerbird2.jpg

It's white and blue now

Last edited:
Here's a link to how I painted my plane. Of interest to this thread is how I used a couple of lasers to lay out perfectly straight checks on the very curvy nose.

Painting

finished%20cowl%20paint%202.jpg

This cowling was on VAF front page. Beautiful thing, eventually deleted from the site, I thought it will live here reposted. Tom Malinchak's RV6.

anothercheckeredcowling.jpg

This one I saw at Bloomsburg RV gathering in 2009.

Bloomsburg09.jpg

This one is made in the Philippines :) I would call it chessboard (I love playing chess) instead of checkers :)

miniandmodel.jpg

Bandit @ U72

Here's a picture of my (former) RV-4 @ U72 in 2005.

"The Bandit" is now owned by "Demo" Castillo.

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Here's mine

Thanks to Vince Frazier at Flyboyaccessories.com for the vinyl 'contrary mary' and warbird markings!

FP02072011A0002L.jpg

Last edited:
I love this plane

Here's a picture of my (former) RV-4 @ U72 in 2005.

"The Bandit" is now owned by "Demo" Castillo.

Smokey
HR2

You know Smokey,

Everyone has told me that this aircraft is just too difficult to built, its so easy to screw up the wings, it takes so long, its not as powerful as the rocket, even your own posts say "If I were to modify the -4 I would do everything that has been done to the rocket"

but honestly I don't know what it is but its just a beautiful classic shape and such a great little plane, even with its cramptness and its old fashioned kit, sometimes old fashioned is just what you want.

I am going to build one of these in my life time.

And your paint design is one of my favourites

Painting

Painting

I describe how to lay out perfect checkerboards in the webpage above, using 2 lasers and a bit of patience. It's actually very easy.

This was 8 years ago. Modern lasers would make this even easier.

My favorite Oshkosh RV

By far, (for me) the best looking RV in the entire RV parking lot! absolutelly gave me the Awwwww factor! Love the paint job design!

Congrats to whom ever it belongs to!

Oshkosh2011369.jpg

and here is to best RV look alike aircraft and display!

Oshkosh2011137.jpg

Last edited:
"Ghosted" checkers

This RV-4 that I purchased is a "Bluenose" tribute, but they "ghosted" subdued checkers everywhere that it's blue to tie in with the checkered rudder.

web.jpg

Checker this out...

Chris,

Here's a better angle of my former RV-4 "The Bandit". I hired an automotive painter to do a "checker fade" on the cowl, rudder and wheelpants.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back