What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another First Flight

atreff

Well Known Member
Another First Flight.....VIDEO ADDED!

Same words, but Video Link added at the bottom...Art

This past Saturday my RV-8 N666AT (Lil' Snorkey) became an airplane. With only my wife, Jesse in attendance, I took a deep breath and pushed the throttle to the stop to see if Bernoulli's Principle applies to the stack of parts that arrived via UPS.

She flew like a wildthing, thanks to the 10:1 IO-360 engine and BA prop. I was so behind the airplane that I didn't notice the VSL, climb speed or anything. I just held the attitude to between 10-15 degrees nose up.

Up at 6000?, I pull back to cruise power and feel a smooth calm rumble thru the aluminum airframe. Lil? Snorkey is living up to her namesake. She runs rough on the ground-barks, farts, shakes and fouls the occasional plug down there. But up here, at altitude, she is smooth as Black Velvet.

In level flight, she flies hands off. No heavy wing, no odd behavior and the skid ball stays between the lines. Response to adding and retarding throttle is predictable, and nothing is startling. We?ve already done turns. Now it?s time to pull the throttle to idle to slow down and observe control inputs as the speed bleeds. No surprises here either.

Once I reach 90 MPH, I firewall the levers and ?Dang!!!!!!!? The rabid beast under the cowl is once again running free. I feel a buzzing as the aluminum comes to life all around me. I hear the prop overshoot the RPM limit, then feel a dull ?thud? as the governor yanks the blades back to the correct pitch. My machine?s teeth find still air and dig in. The acceleration is palpable thru my back, the nose pitches up 20 degrees and my right leg is text-messaging the brain that this little ship has some torque. I?m pushing forward on the stick (which was trimmed for slower speeds), mashing forward on the elevator trim coolie hat...and grinning like an idiot. :D

I did my testing at AVL, which is C airspace, and the tower crew was superb! I called the tower on cell 30 minutes before I was ready to taxi, and I got to speak to the person in the tower who was going to handle me, and we agreed on a plan. Once flying, the tower would ask me how it was handling and what the engine instruments looked like. We were a great team. He also said he'd watch me carefully on climbout and alert me if he saw smoke, fire, or pieces dropping off. I did not feel alone at all.

Oh, and while I was flying the first flight, even people on the radio were offering their congratulations, including a UsAIR crew, who talked to me on Tower freq, then were waiting by the tail of their jet to watch the first landing. I opened my canopy and pumped my Nomex clad fists in celebration. They jumped and shouted in return. Sometimes the closeness of this aviation community of ours makes my eyes wet.

Can't wait to fly her again! I have much more to test and explore with this fine plane, but I couldn't be more pleased. It feels so smooth and nimble, I can't believe it's mine. You tube video soon.

OK Gang, a few days late, but what the heck? Here is the YouTube Video pointer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ZV8GTuphw

Art Treff
Lil' Snorkey
RV-8 Fastback

Last edited:
Every now and then a first flight report can make me a bit emotional. Yours was one of those. Congratulations!

Guy

Great job

Art well done,

Nothing quite like it is there?....:)

Heres to many years of feeling almost the same way!

Frank

Art, congrats and nice work! Don't ya love it when a plan comes together? Now that you're in Phase I operation please test it thorroughly to see what YOUR plane does. And please post some pics, I just love a raised turtledeck -8.

how long?

What kit? QB or long.build,,,..? How many months did you build?
Congrats on your first flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times....

Jay asked about times. Hmm...I stopped keeping track after year one, it was too depressing. And that was almost 7 yrs ago. :rolleyes:

Slow build. Not matched hole, just prepunched. Fastback was Tom Clark's design, he did the bulkheads and welded my windshield frame, and did the mold for the first canopy. I had to figure out the canopy frame, locking mechanism, sliding mechanism and bend up the skirts. Many many mods kept the build time long.

I had the tail and wings done in 6 months working solo. The metal was done quickly, then systems work slowed me down.

thankx for all the kind words out there. I'm editing the video right now. I'll post the link when it's done.

Art in Asheville

Clongratulations Art and great write up! Glad to hear all went smoothly for you. Welcome to the RV-8 flying community.

Rob

Great Job !

That's the best story that I have heard all week!!

Great Job, best of luck.
Mel.

RV - 7 22 hours and counting.

Hello Art!
Congratulations buddy! That is awesome news! I'm so glad to hear it. What a relief huh?! Enjoy. Maybe I could come up and visit with you and see your pride and joy. I'm not very far now, just south of Atlanta near Peachtree City. Take care my friend! Again that is great news!

Jerry:)

Art,

That is great news, congrats!

When do we get to see this bird? AVL isn't that from the rest of us in and around CLT.

BTW, are you on the SERV list? There are a LOT of RV's in the area.

Great..

......to have the tower guys participate.....great idea.

If you'll stay in the air, you'll be in Phase 2 by the time we have our Spring fish-fry-fly-in. You're less than an hour away by RV. (2J3).

Congrats,

Phase 2

......to have the tower guys participate.....great idea.

If you'll stay in the air, you'll be in Phase 2 by the time we have our Spring fish-fry-fly-in. You're less than an hour away by RV. (2J3).

Congrats,

Pierre,

Keep me posted on that date. My chapter pals love to burn gas in exchange for food!

Art

Awesome! the video brings back so many thoughts.

The fun begins. Get her flown off and come on down the Athens, lunch is on me.

Awesome!

Very cool - thanks for the inspiration! I am just finishing my wings and I look forward to the day that you just experienced.
Keep us informed on your new adventures.

Motivation.....!

Well,
Two things have happened this week.

One, My house construction passed the milestone allowing me to return to RV construction. :D

Two, Art has shamed me into "getting ON with it". :D:D It was only a few weeks ago that I helped him put the wings on in the hangar!

I spent all day yesterday opening boxes and organizing my tools. :D

...it was warmer then..

Bill,

Congrats on getting back to building....errr I mean on the house..:D

It was warmer back when we put the wings on. Yesterday the wind chills in the blowing snow outside the hangar door were in the teens. No snow today, but sub-zero wind chills. Yes, I'll be down there, working off squawks.

Yesterday, I recalibrated my fuel qty gages (thanks to a dedicated fuel truck driver), and swapped the Hartzell's position on the hub 180 degrees. I"m hoping to tame some vibration. Today will be hooking up the onboard heat, checking a few smaller squawks, preheating and flying if it's not too gusty.

Stop by when you want to cool off in my hangar....;)

Art

Yesterday the wind chills in the blowing snow outside the hangar door were in the teens. No snow today, but sub-zero wind chills. Yes, I'll be down there, working off squawks.
Congrats on the first flight Art.

The guy who owns the hangar I am renting space in has a 1500 watt radiant heater that he mounted on a telescoping tripod (picture here). It makes all the difference in the world. I don my insulated boots, insulated pants, sweater, winter jacket and toque, and place the heater so it is shining on me. I've worked when it was -17 deg C (1 deg F) in the hangar, and while it isn't comfortable, I can work for several hours without throwing in the towel.

.......seems 2 B workin now

Harland,

Thx for the tip. Seems to be working fine on this end. If you can't get there, just search YouTube for: N666AT.

Art

Back