VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Default Want to get a grip

New builder looking for experienced advice about what you put on your grips.

What functions are best to have at your fingertips all the time?

I see the PTT, Coulee Hat (Pitch/Roll) trim and Autopilot disconnect on some builder photos.

Suggestions for 2 other functions, please?

Will be installing a Garmin 3GX system, IFR use.

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:39 PM

I have CWS and Audio replay on mine.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017 donor and happy to do it.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:00 PM

FWIW, many years ago in my RV-8, I had the following on an Infinity grip:
  • Upper right - start button
  • Coolie hat - pitch & roll trim
  • Upper left - flaps
  • Trigger - PTT
The current (early) thinking for my upcoming RV-14A project, also utilizing Infinity grips:
  • Upper outboard - AP disconnect & CWS
  • Coolie hat - pitch & roll trim
  • Upper inboard - flaps
  • Trigger - PTT
  • Thumb - comm flip/flop
  • Lower - TOGA

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Left wing underway)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Trigger - PTT
Top Right - Flaps
Coolio Hat - Trims
Top Left - TOGA
Thumb - AP Disco/CWS
Low button - Air Horn
Donated for 2018
Old 04-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Radio standby flip/flop

Ident.

Otherwise same as yours.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-21-2018, 02:43 PM

Strictly day VFR, I plan to have a PTT button on my throttle. Nothing, not a single button, on the stick grip.

I am aware that this sort of conflicts with the "add every option possible" mode of thinking, but I learned a long time ago that KISS is the finest possible approach to design. KISS means "Keep It Simple, Stupid," and while it appears simple, it's not. Done right, anyway.

The autopilot (yeah, I know, not simple, sigh) disconnect button will be on the panel, in front of me. Inches away and yet it's not as easily pressed by mistake as a stick grip button would be.

Dave
Old 04-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post

The autopilot (yeah, I know, not simple, sigh) disconnect button will be on the panel, in front of me. Inches away and yet it's not as easily pressed by mistake as a stick grip button would be.

Dave
Before you do this, make sure your A/P doesnt have CWS. It is really nice to have the stick button for this.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM

If you care to look a Tosten, call them, Kevin plans to be at Van’s this coming Wednesday. I’m dropping in with an appointment to “get a grip” after trying them on for size.
PTT, AP disconnect with CWS, ident, freq. flip flop and AP auto level. I have mechanical trims, Kevin said he can cap off the top hat.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:20 PM

I love my new ray allen g407 sticks. I have ptt, a/p disconnect, com flip flop and 4 way trim coolie hat switch. Best of all, they are $169.

http://www.rayallencompany.com/produ...ckgripsG4.html
Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 PM

This is another topic with lots of opinions and preferences, but let me try to add a little logic and history into the mix.

When I worked at Boeing, the phrase was that gadgets had to earn their way into the cockpit. A similar thought could apply to the stick grip. To earn their way onto the stick grip, those functions should:
* Be used frequently;
* Be needed quickly;
* Be safe, so that inadvertent actuation doesn't cause problems;
* Be consistent with other aircraft so that other pilots (or mechanics) operating your plane don't get surprised, or so that you don't build habits that cause you problems in other planes. (This includes new owners when you finally sell);
* Be labeled;
* Have to be on the stick because otherwise you'd run out of hands.

Obvious candidates for going onto the stick are PTT and electric trim.

On my RV-9A, which I bought with a bunch of avionics already in it, the stick has only PTT, but elevator trim is a rocker switch above the throttle so it is very handy, almost as handy as being on the stick.

My autopilot has control wheel steering (or whatever Garmin calls it), but I've never seen any need for it in the -9A. If I really needed it, it would probably go onto the stick. We wound up putting the autopilot disconnect atop the radio stack (with CWS not enabled), and it works fine there -- never needed in a hurry, never hit inadvertently, well labeled.

Similarly, TOGA is adjacent to the throttle. Hard to hit inadvertently, easy to label, never needed in a big hurry.

Frequency swap? Leave that on the radio, it doesn't earn its way onto the stick.

Flaps? Maybe. Sometimes in the RV-8 I'd like to be able to dump the flaps on rollout, and my flap switch is spring loaded to the center in both directions. It is very conveniently located next to the throttle, but even if it would stay in the flaps up position, I'd certainly consider having it on the stick if I were building from scratch.

Historical trivia:
* One vendor, intent on selling his stick grip with everything on it, talked about how great it was to have the starter motor on the switch in case the engine quit right after takeoff. Really? C'mon, now. There's an argument to be made that with the starter on the stick, you don't have to hold the stick back with your knees during engine start, but there's always the risk of hitting the starter inadvertently with the engine running -- unless there is a separate toggle switch to energize the starter switch on the stick. Talk about a learning curve for anybody new to the airplane...
* The LoPresti Swift Fury was trying too hard with their HOTAS (Hand On Throttle And Stick) and they even had the cowl flaps on the stick. Why? Cowl flaps aren't needed frequently, not needed in a hurry, hard to label. Bad idea;
* Not sure I'll get all the details right on this story, but there was a P-38 squadron in the Pacific in which not all the planes had the same switches do the same things. The functions that were inconsistent across the planes were push to talk, drop the external tanks, and fire the guns. One phrase they used was that some pilots were talking through their tanks. Or if you were transmitting instead of shooting, maybe you were supposed to say bang...
* Jets flown single pilot (I think) are still required to have transponder ident on the control wheel. Why? Because years ago, it was common for departure control to ask to the pilot to ident right after takeoff when workload was high. These days, only occasionally am I asked to ident -- it's almost a novelty.

An insidious aspect of human factors design is that there are few things that are obviously, truly bad -- but there are lots of subtle things that occasionally cause accidents. "It's an experimental, and you can do what you want... if you're willing to pay a price that you may not know about."

Ed
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."