- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Default A very disturbing discovery in my RV

My RV is sitting at a paint shop waiting its turn to get new colors ,
after months of waiting work finally begun , and all the moving parts were removed , i was called to the shop yesterday , the owner wanted to show me something very disturbing , considering i ferried the bird from Virginia to New york , and did all kinds of maneuvers with a renown RV'er to get familiarized with the airplane , i THANK GOD day and night disaster didn't happen ,
the prebuy was done by someone who weights very heavy in the RV world , i paid over 2K just for the inspection itself , enough said , here are the pictures .

Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159728...posted-public/
Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Yikes!! That wouldn't be good to discover in the air. Ailerons work better when they work.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Waiting for my registration, then it's final inspection time!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Yikes!! That wouldn't be good to discover in the air. Ailerons work better when they work.
Yeah , im still scratching my head , the bolt was put backwards , with no jam nut
how did the bolt even stay in , with gravity ?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibirsky View Post
Yeah , im still scratching my head , the bolt was put backwards , with no jam nut
how did the bolt even stay in , with gravity ?
Actually, I think the photo is upside down so the bolt is correct.

Possibly the only thing that kept it connected.

Correction
I hadn't noticed there was more than one photo so initially I had only looked at the first one.
Now I realize this is probably an RV-9 which has the bellcrank flipped around with the aileron interconnect push/pull rod at the bottom.
First hand example of why specific bolt orientations are specified.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 04-19-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Concerning indeed, especially given that a paid inspection happened.

That said, I'm curious if Scott or anyone else knows what the impact would be if the pushrod became disconnected. Absent it jamming, and acknowledging that you'd effectively lose the up control stop for the opposite (good) aileron, would control authority from the opposite aileron be sufficient to fly?

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 04-19-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Trust but verify Sibirsky. Dang I flew the bird and even gave her a good workout. In spite I gave you the recommendation on the inspector I still have the same opinion on all these pricy pre buys. I voiced offline to you and I stick to it.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Something similar happened to a -10. Builder removed the nut in the pitch control circuit to ‘temporarily’ insert a rigging template. He forgot to re-install the nut. Bolt came out on final, nose first landing did in the nose gear, prop. Fortunately no injuries.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Concerning indeed, especially given that a paid inspection happened.

That said, I'm curious if Scott or anyone else knows what the impact would be if the pushrod became disconnected. Absent it jamming, and acknowledging that you'd effectively lose the up control stop for the opposite (good) aileron, would control authority from the opposite aileron be sufficient to fly?
My theory is that if this particular bolt came out that the push/pull tube would drop away and the aileron would float in trail at some unknown equalirium point that would probably result in some roll imbalance, but I think you would be able to counter that with the opposite aileron and still have an acceptable amount of roll authority (though that is not based on any first hand experience and I am not raising my hand to volunteer to test my theory).

If the bolt for the lateral push/pull tube fell out? Chances are pretty high it would result in jammed ailerons.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Trust but verify Sibirsky. Dang I flew the bird and even gave her a good workout. In spite I gave you the recommendation on the inspector I still have the same opinion on all these pricy pre buys. I voiced offline to you and I stick to it.
Why is there such a color contrast between the pictures?
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Closed Thread