What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop went around about 1,500,000 times yesterday!

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Yesterday was my biggest flying day ever. I put over 10 hours on the -10.

It started with a 5am wake up, filled the tanks, to take my parents from Salt Lake to Kellogg, ID to pick up their new truck. It was just over 3 hours on the Hobb up there, filled the tanks, and a little shorter back as I went around a storm that took me over McCall, ID with a slight tailwind. (6.1)
On the way up I spotted some smoke on the side of the mountain in Idaho and went to take a look. There was one tree that was completely burned up and smoldering from a lightning strike. I hit the GPS button to get the coordinates and called up Boise FSS and reported. When I landed about an hour later in Kellogg there were a few people with their helicopter just waiting to be deployed to the next fire. I told the pilot about the smoke and he thanked me for calling it in. He thought someone would definitely go check it out. We saw many valleys filled with smoke.

I went back to Salt Lake and changed clothes, filled the tanks and added oil for a wedding in St. George. I flew down to Spanish Fork, UT to pick up a couple of friends (.4) and we headed south. We did some sight seeing on the way down and fought a headwind (1.8). The guys I picked up are avid hikers and enjoyed flying over Zion National Park to see all the places they have been. It is interesting to see how large the bowl is that feeds into The Narrows and other canyons. It is easy to see how a rainstorm north of the park can cause flash floods. We went to the wedding at 6pm - 9:00 and headed back to the airport for our flight home. We had a small tailwind on our flight back to Spanish Fork (1.5). I don't like to fly too much at night but it sure can be pretty.
I dropped them off, filled the tanks again and headed back to Skypark KBTF (.4)
My drive home is around 30 min and I arrived at 1:00am.
10.2 hours on the hobbs (a little less when you take out ground time)

B.K. (Before Kids) I rode in the Utah 1088, which is a 24 hour motorcycle endurance ride. One thing you do on that ride is put a lot of fuel through your motorcycle in a day and you would eat while your rode. We would do between 1320 and 1450 miles on the motorcycle. Yesterday brought back memories from those rides. I filled the plane up four times and brought a cooler with food and drinks for the day.
There is a coast to coast to coast motorcycle ride you can do on your own called the 100CCC because you need to finish in under 100 hours. It would be fun to do that ride on the bike, then jump in the plane and do it again by air. I think we need some of these awards for planes.
Next goal, 12 hours of flying in a day, then 24 I guess.
I need autopilot for my BMW motorcycle!

Last edited:
Scott, What a cool day. Only possible with an airplane!
I hope a day will come along when I can use my plane to this extent.

Many Digits

A lot of numbers and calculations in such a short report. You must be an engineer or an accountant Scott :D

Back