What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Critical Comments on Pine Bluff Formation Clinic

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
One of our RV buddies, Alan Buford, who attended the Pine Bluff Formation clinic obviously did some soul searching and posted this on our local RV forum. I asked him if I could post it here. I have heard it said before but never better! He is a no BS guy and if he says it, you can believe it!

He said: that was my first ever clinic to attend, and from the response of everyone, it was the best ever but..... I've got some thoughts that I feel like it is time to express. I have never really been to crazy about this formation stuff. But, it challenged me as a pilot, and I kept fooling around with it, mainly just to appease a certain RV4 driver.

During the airshow, a pilot approached me about the formation stuff and asked how could I fly with such low time pilots? This was after I had been through the clinic. Boy did I bite my tongue.

My response, if I recall, was that I was comfortable at all times with my wingmen. At times I have been uncomfortable around some planes, but I kept an open mind, and a watchful eye. But this clinic puts it all into perspective. These guys are pros, and if you follow, train, and learn from them, then you will be pros.

This is no BS. The curriculum is spot on, you do not stray from the missions goal, and if you do, you are told about it, and it is corrected. I will talk to anyone in more detail about my opinions of this group. I have over 11,000 hours of flight time, and I will saddle up with anyone who has been through one of these clinics. One last thing. This is not about hot shot pilots. This is a place for ANY RV pilot, regardless of your hours.

By Alan Buford (RV4) See you at Petit Jean!

(Note: Alan flys AG every day it's not raining,.. his hours are close to the ground)

Last edited:
Spot on!

I have to agree with Alan. Low total time tells very little about an individual's ability and high total time cannot be presumed to have developed a super safe pilot. I've given many guys transition training and some of the lowest total time guys were the real quick-studies vs. some high time guys who couldn't find their rear ends with both hands:)

Best,

Not sure why this comes to mind now, but one of the benefits that I haven't seen mentioned of flying formation, is that regardless of whether you built your airplane or you bought it in flying condition, formation puts a large number of RV owners in a position to be looking closely at your aircraft on a regular basis. it also gets you in touch with other RV owners who have other experiences with aircraft ownership and maintenance. I think this is a definite safety benefit. If something changes unexpectedly on your airplane, you've got a bunch more eyes looking at it and maybe noticing that there is a problem before it becomes serious.

At least, for me, a 400 hour pilot with only about 75 hours formation time, and a purchased RV-6, I find that to be a huge benefit.

Observations from close trail:
"Lead, you have puffs of smoke comming off your left exhaust pipe every couple of seconds" - oil leak
"Lead, your right wheel fairing vibrates every once in a while" - fairing balance

How long, if ever, would it take to find these things if not flying formation?

And, my stick and rudder skills have increased immensly since I started flying formation. I mean, a lot!

About 280 hours total (about 210 of that in RV's),
About 50 hours RV formation work.

only 3 things wing should ever say:

1. 2's Up
2. Lead, you are on fire
3. Save the f*t one for me

Formation

One of the main reasons I built the -8 and was for formation. Actually, it was also one of the primary reason to build a Vans - so many folks to fly with.
My list of missions in order of priority:
-formation
-acro
-cross country
-formation (did I mention formation?)

In my 20s (I'm 40 now) I was informally trained by a retired Phantom driver and had the opportunity to fly lots of formation. I have missed the challenge and now that I have my airplane flying I can't wait to catch a clinic. I have already done some formation work a few weeks ago and it is awesome to be doing it again!
As it is said - makes you a better pilot in lots of ways.

hours

Some people have the natural ability to dance and they do it well. Most people can learn to dance, but those with the natural abilty do it best.

Some people have the natural ability to shoot and they do it well. Most people can learn to shoot, but those with the natural ability do it best.

You get the idea.

I believe that those that don't have the natural ability to fly will wash out of a formation clinic right away OR they know that they have no business flying so close to another airplane and won't attempt it to begin with. It's all good.

Interesting. I have informally flown loose formation with another plane (neither RV), and didn't have a lot of interest. Plus, it seemed and seems foolish to fly even loose formation without training. So I haven't done that for some time and didn't intend to again.

But this thread might make me change my mind to take a clinic.

I've heard that getting training in any extra flying skill--IFR, gliding, taildragger, whatever---makes one a better pilot. It's all about expanding one's personal envelope a bit. Makes sense.

Observations from close trail:
"Lead, you have puffs of smoke comming off your left exhaust pipe every couple of seconds" - oil leak
"Lead, your right wheel fairing vibrates every once in a while" - fairing balance

Did I say they were said during the flight?
Okay, the first was, the second was in the debrief.

Back