What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MD-RA Inspection Questions

gpblair

In the last few months I have received my RV-7 tail kit, my tools, attended a builder?s course and am now getting into the construction process. I registered online with the MD-RA months ago and was hoping that I would be getting some more documentation from them but to date I have heard nothing.

My horizontal stab is getting close to finished and I have a question related to the "sub-component" inspections that are required. How far can I take the construction process on this component and the others to follow, before they require inspection? I have heard that it is sufficient to leave the skin open on one side and that would be ok. Any comments?

Are there any other "hints" or "tips? out there for the "Canadian? building process that you can pass on? With the wealth of information available on the internet I seem to be more familiar with the process in the USA than here in Canada.

Thanks in advance

Grant

MD-RA inspections

Grant
There are 2 inspections required for metal amateur built A/C in Canada. The first is the "pre-cover" and the last one is "final". You can build as much as you want to as long as the inspector can see ALL the rivets before closing anything up in the pre-cover inspection. The "final" is done at the airport and the plane is ready to fly.
If you contact the MD-RA, I believe they have a guideline for you to follow. You will not receive anything from them until you apply for your first inspection. At that time you will receive a package from them indicating the inspector's name and how to contact him/her. Check with fellow builders in your area for help also.

Good Luck
Peter
RV-9A Flying :)

inspection.

The best thing I can say is get your paperwork into MD-RA and get an inspector assigned. You can then work with your inspector and work out the details on how best to proceed.
When my brother had his RV-7A done It took 2 pre-cover inspections and now he's preparing for his final inspection. On my RV-4 I was able to get it done with 1 pre-cover and will schedule my final when the plane is ready to fly.

When you file your Letter of Intent with MD-RA, and submit the fee, you will receive an information package and an inspector will be assigned to you.

As for the pre-cover inspection on the tail, I left the aft spar of the HS clecoed on until the inspection was complete, and did not close up the skins on the remainder of the components.

The key is.... can the rivets be inspected? As long as a skin or spar is removed or an inspection mirror can *easily* be inserted, then you are fine.

Vern Little
RV-9A C-FVRL

Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate the comments. I filed my letter of intent approx 5 months ago and haven't recieved any information on local inspectors yet. I will give MD-RA a phone call and see if I have missed anything.

As far as the work in progress, I will leave the rear spar for the horizontal stab just clecoed in place and then move on to the rest of the components.

Thanks Again,
Grant

You need to call sometimes to expedite things. The MD-RA service is not what it should be, and many are complaining.

Vern

vlittle said:
You need to call sometimes to expedite things. The MD-RA service is not what it should be, and many are complaining.

Vern
Absolutely. I had to call several times. My inspector was awesome. The guy at headquarters was kinda useless.

MD-RA headquarters has lost and misplaced paperwork for me several times during 2 builds. Keep on them and don't assume your paperwork is in process just because you submitted a request. I can put you in touch with some people to prod national along if required. The local inspectors here in Alberta are awesome, knowledgeable, nice, aviation enthusiasts. Enjoy the build! :)

Back