What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Protecting the rear window

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all.
I am considering to protect my rear window to prevent from fuel spill entering micro cracks in the lexan window what eventually will cause crazing. I am thinking about a UV and fuel resistant thin and highly transparent self adhesive film which gets bonded on the flat window before installing it. I don't know if that idea is of any good or if it is just a waste of time. So any comments on that is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Here's my experience with the RV-12 LEXAN window at 4+ years / 625 hours / 90% mogas 91 with 10% ethanol: I installed the LEXAN window in accordance with Van's plans (i.e., fuel sealant in and around all aft edge screw holes and sealant between LEXAN and aluminum fuselage panels). I have been careful not to spill any fuel near the LEXAN. If you look carefully at my rear window you will find very minor short crazing spikes emanating from 2 - 3 screw holes (maybe due to stress as opposed to fuel). I have seen very heavy crazing on a number of unsealed LEXAN rear windows. I have no experience with overlay films -- my understanding is that the LEXAN we get from Van's has a fuel-resistant coating on the surface but not the edges or in holes thus the need for sealant in these areas.

I had a lot of crazing on my lexan rear window, so at 5 years I decided to bite the bullet and do the aileron bellcrank, window and baggage bulkhead split mods all in one annual. After 18 months I am very happy with the new formed window. It was pricey but worth it.

Hi I had a lot of micro cracks after 18 months so replaced the window and covered with 3m head light protector film and sealed the edges and it is still good 5 years later

Back