What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Software Update 15.3.3

They mentioned it in the Dynon Forum 472 discussion... But they didn't give any information on replacements, just stating that production would begin and they would start shipping again.

From there Feb 28th response...
"If there's a caveat, it's that production numbers are going to ramp over the coming weeks, and there are literally hundreds of people out there that need a -472. Not everyone is experiencing performance issues with what they have, so in the coming days we'll figure out a mechanism for those of you that are especially frustrated to get some of the earlier production. Know that the coming SkyView software update also includes an update for all SV-ADSB-472s, so even before you get the latest hardware, you'll see some improvement from that too (it updates similar to how the transponder does, for what it's worth)"

Hopefully they put out something soon on a replacement plan for those of us that already have the 472.

Last edited:
They mentioned it in the Dynon Forum 472 discussion... But they didn't give any information on replacements, just stating that production would begin and they would start shipping again.

From there Feb 28th response...
"If there's a caveat, it's that production numbers are going to ramp over the coming weeks, and there are literally hundreds of people out there that need a -472. Not everyone is experiencing performance issues with what they have, so in the coming days we'll figure out a mechanism for those of you that are especially frustrated to get some of the earlier production. Know that the coming SkyView software update also includes an update for all SV-ADSB-472s, so even before you get the latest hardware, you'll see some improvement from that too (it updates similar to how the transponder does, for what it's worth)"

Hopefully they put out something soon on a replacement plan for those of us that already have the 472.

Yeah, I saw that when it was posted, but haven't seen anything that says they're ready for users to contact them at this time, which is what led to my question.

Just got our first 472 yesterday and installed it today. Looks like I had better put in the new software before going any further.

Bob

Can anyone confirm that with 15.3.3, Skyview sends ADSB traffic and weather with Foreflight over WiFi? I know that a couple people have seen it work prior to 15.3.3, but it never did for me. Now they say sharing traffic is working, but I can't load the update yet due to a long trip coming up this weekend and a personal policy to make no changes with the aircraft immediately prior to a trip.

So, is traffic working for you? Does weather work too?

From the 15.3.3 release notes:
Fixed: Wi-Fi traffic transmission to supporting apps improved.

I haven't tried it yet. I usually have Foreflight running on my iPhone while flying, but I've never seen traffic or weather transmitted to it from the Skyview Wifi.

Does anyone here know how to set this up?

From the 15.3.3 release notes:
Fixed: Wi-Fi traffic transmission to supporting apps improved.

I haven't tried it yet. I usually have Foreflight running on my iPhone while flying, but I've never seen traffic or weather transmitted to it from the Skyview Wifi.

Does anyone here know how to set this up?

No setup needed that I am aware. Connect to the WiFi dongle with your phone, as you would for loading a flight plan. I had weather in FF previously, as did others, but nobody had traffic.

With traffic and WX on the Skyview, I don't have a need for either in FF but I imagine some back-seat folks would like to see it.

I'd much rather have the map and traffic on my iPad than the SkyView screen, even though I have 2 D700s. My ideal set up is to use screen 2 (MFD) for engine instruments, and my iPad for the charts, weather and traffic. If this works as I hope, it will be huge for me.

Can anyone confirm that with 15.3.3, Skyview sends ADSB traffic and weather with Foreflight over WiFi? I know that a couple people have seen it work prior to 15.3.3, but it never did for me. Now they say sharing traffic is working, but I can't load the update yet due to a long trip coming up this weekend and a personal policy to make no changes with the aircraft immediately prior to a trip.

I'm not sure about ForeFlight, but 15.3.3 works flawless with FlyQ EFB on the iPad/iPhone. I tried it out this morning after updating both Skyview displays on a flight from KLAL to KSEF and had numerous targets on both the Skyview Displays and on the iPad. Accuracy is spot on! So, I'm pretty sure it should work the same with ForeFlight. I'm very happy with this.

john

SkyView traffic and weather.

To give you an accurate update. I was the first to report this back in June through Seattle Avionics, and they took it downstairs to Dynon who did not know about this. I got a report back the next day from SA that Dynon agreed that it was their fault and originates from the new firmware that included the 472 box, and the 470 was still OK, that traffic only was not being sent out via wifi and they would look for a fix. A month or so later, I received a beta copy to test that fixed the traffic on the iPad which worked.

Dynon was at this time, getting many reports of traffic dropping and that they were going to look into it. Well, after many months later with as many beta versions, they have improved both the 472 hardware and software which they just released.

If you want the 472 now, then order. If you want a swap, get on their list and as the receive new units in they will send you an update unit.

Good luck everyone.

To give you an accurate update. I was the first to report this back in June through Seattle Avionics, and they took it downstairs to Dynon who did not know about this. I got a report back the next day from SA that Dynon agreed that it was their fault and originates from the new firmware that included the 472 box, and the 470 was still OK, that traffic only was not being sent out via wifi and they would look for a fix. A month or so later, I received a beta copy to test that fixed the traffic on the iPad which worked.

Dynon was at this time, getting many reports of traffic dropping and that they were going to look into it. Well, after many months later with as many beta versions, they have improved both the 472 hardware and software which they just released.

If you want the 472 now, then order. If you want a swap, get on their list and as the receive new units in they will send you an update unit.

Good luck everyone.

Not sure I understand. My question was relating to Foreflight. Are you saying that Skyview does or doesn't send weather and traffic info to Foreflight?

Foreflight

In my testing of the original beta firmware, it will send both weather and traffic to Foreflight. It always sent weather, but not traffic.

I have tested a couple of the beta versions and they all send weather and traffic to Foreflight, FlyQ Pro and FltPlan Pro from SkyView Classic, SkyView Touch, and HDX units. I am sure it still works with the final released version. I will be home Monday and will be checking it out when I get a chance to install the released version in my system with both Foreflight and FlyQ Pro apps.

If you want an update after I install and check it out, let me know and I will send you an update. My email is [email protected]

Hope that answers your question.

Brian

Follow up on ADSB-472 with Foreflight

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would give you an update on the new SkyView firmware, and firmware update for the ADSB-472 box.

I uploaded the final released firmware, and sat and waited for an aerospace vehicle to enter the airspace around Stead. I got a L29 arriving back into Stead and took a few snapshots. The first one is of my SkyView screen with my iPad, the second one is from Foreflight and the third is from FlyQ Pro. They were all taken with 5 seconds of each other. As you can see, you can see traffic now from SkyView on both of those iPad applications.

Sorry about the weather, but for some reason I could not get the ground station in my hanger with the doors closed, and I was not about to open then do to the temp outside. I have always been able to get weather with the 472 box, both with beta versions I tested and without the new firmware.

I know there has been a lot of questions about traffic from SkyView over WiFi, and I just want to confirm that Dynon has corrected it with this update. Now if I can only get Seattle Avionics to include tail numbers with the traffic over WiFi, we would be a happy camper.

2v3hf7c.jpg

nwkoqd.jpg

2lawsuu.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to update

Sorry Gil, I forgot to update ForeFlight before I went to the airport. You don't have the hash lines when the charts are current.

I will try to do it again tomorrow with current charts. I will also have SkyView in the SEC mode, so they are all the same to compare, and use the snapshot feature of SkyView and not my iPad. I was just trying to show that traffic was coming over WiFi now with firmware 15.3.3.

Brian

Last edited:
Sorry Gil, I forgot to update ForeFlight before I went to the airport. You don't have the hash lines when the charts are current.

I will try to do it again tomorrow with current charts. I will also have SkyView in the SEC mode, so they are all the same to compare, and use the snapshot feature of SkyView and not my iPad. I was just trying to show that traffic was coming over WiFi now with firmware 15.3.3.

Brian

Ahh... that makes sense.

The comparison shots will still be interesting though. the above shows that the "sw created" maps are easier to follow than the true sectionals though. :)

Will do better tomorrow

Gil,

I will get everything updated and redo. I probably cannot get the guy to take his L29 up again, but probably can get someone else to help, unless it is raining or snowing here.

BTW, I am an old friend of the Weiners down there.

Brian

The last I checked late last year, Dynon has provided traffic to Foreflight for some time but Foreflight won?t display it. On inquiry with Foreflight, they don?t seem motivated to implement that. Perhaps a bunch of calls or emails to Foreflight might change their priority.

The last I checked late last year, Dynon has provided traffic to Foreflight for some time but Foreflight won?t display it. On inquiry with Foreflight, they don?t seem motivated to implement that. Perhaps a bunch of calls or emails to Foreflight might change their priority.

My guess is that they have a nice lucrative contract with Stratus that discourages this. I currently have a subscription with both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot, and when it comes to renewing, which ever company displays the traffic info from Dynon will get my business and I'll cancel the other.

Am I missing something or doesn't the screenshot above show Foreflight displaying traffic coming from Dynon?

Am I missing something or doesn't the screenshot above show Foreflight displaying traffic coming from Dynon?

You are not mistaken. It now works with the latest Dynon update, as mentioned in that post. Apparently it was an issue on the Dynon side.

You are not mistaken. It now works with the latest Dynon update, as mentioned in that post. Apparently it was an issue on the Dynon side.

Outstanding news! I am leaving for Fort Lauderdale tomorrow morning and this will be a very welcome improvement for that trip. Nice to have that cleared up. :D

Failed test attempt

After loading the new firmware to the system and 472, my test flight failed to provide traffic on ForeFlight. BUT I did not know how to set it up. So I will try again soon.

I now have read that only when connected to Dynon WiFi does the traffic option in the map layer drop down become available. Click on this to add traffic. I assume the same for weather, I have never tried.

Maybe I am behind the curve, but not alone....

Last edited:
Good news here! I wrote to Foreflight support today, and they got back to me very quickly with a reply that contradicts the notion that they have some sort of exclusive deal going on with Appareo:
=====================

Hey Karl,

We are in fact working with Dynon Avionics to provide support for traffic transfer into ForeFlight. We had been waiting for the 15.3.3 update and now our engineers have this on the radar and will soon begin working to integrate the systems. We hope to have this feature available soon, however, I do not have a timeline for exactly when this will officially be supported.

Blue skies!

Brint
Pilot Support Team
[email protected]
www.foreflight.com

That is really good news and finally I wont have to carry a redundant Stratus ADS-In receiver in the cockpit just for the iPads.

Ugh, what a debacle.

For years, Dynon has pointed the finger at Foreflight and vice versa.

Then Dynon posts generically that their latest software update includes "Fixed: Wi-Fi traffic transmission to supporting apps improved." No mention of which supporting apps, of course.

Now some folks report that Foreflight shows traffic and weather streamed over Wi-Fi from Dynon. Others report that it still doesn't work. And to top it off, Foreflight seems to indicate it shouldn't be working yet but it might at some unknown point in the future.

At least Karl got a considered response from a human at Foreflight. After multiple feature request submissions, all I ever received in return was an automated form letter. Another bonus is that each company pointing fingers at the other seems to have finally stopped.

I really wish we could just carry a Stratux and be done with it, but Dynon refuses to support the industry-standard GDL-90 format.

Last edited:
Net-net: it still doesn?t work. I got no traffic at all on on ForeFlight during my trip down to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday. I don?t know why this is so hard for the companies to work out. Speaking for myself, this is a functionality that I need. Very frustrating:mad:

Net-net: it still doesn?t work. I got no traffic at all on on ForeFlight during my trip down to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday. I don?t know why this is so hard for the companies to work out. Speaking for myself, this is a functionality that I need. Very frustrating:mad:

Confirmed to NOT work here as well. Installed 15.3.3 yesterday, went for a flight, and absolutely no traffic or weather from ADSB-470 was passed to Foreflight. Yet Dynon says they fixed it.

It?s clear that Dynon is in over their heads on this one. So frustrated with their complete lack of customer service I want to rip out my panel and install someone else?s gear. If only I had the time and money...

Last edited:
To be fair, Dynon never said the weather and traffic would work with Foreflight. Foreflight is the one that needs to get their app to work with the data being transmitted by Dynon WiFi. In the past Foreflight limited access to just the Stratus receiver. It is great that they are finally opening up their app to other systems. That said, I want Foreflight to work with Dynon as much as anyone. What I can?t understand is how it can work with some and not with others. I wonder if it is really working with some or if there is some other reason it seems to work.

FWIW I have display WX from my SkyView on my Android FltPlanGo app (using the CUSTOM tab) for about 1yr now. I didn't get traffic but I haven't tried it with the new v15.3.3 firmware update. Next time I fly, I will try it out.

:cool:

Last edited:
The simplest solution would be for Dynon to start supporting GDL90 data streams both in and out.

Stratux (an opensource project that has little to no actual funding) has been sending WX and traffic data to Foreflight for years now, with no issues. Its not a Foreflight issue.....its a Dynon issue.

I see it both ways. Foreflight could program their app to use current Dynon output and it would work. Sounds like that is what they are currently doing. Dynon also could have output a different format that works with Foreflight. To me this means that both companies didn?t want their apps to work together for various business reasons. It?s up to us to keep asking for this interface to work until one or other of the companies give us what we want.

I see it both ways. Foreflight could program their app to use current Dynon output and it would work. Sounds like that is what they are currently doing. Dynon also could have output a different format that works with Foreflight. To me this means that both companies didn?t want their apps to work together for various business reasons. It?s up to us to keep asking for this interface to work until one or other of the companies give us what we want.

I get that, but GDL90 is a pretty industry standard protocol, and one that Foreflight has supported for a long time now. Dynon, however, does not support this protocol. They are pretty much the only big EFIS maker that DOESN'T support this protocol unfortunately. The odd thing... AFS has been supporting GDL90 for a while now. Since Dynon owns them, its odd they don't just...you know...take a peek at that code and see how to do it. :)

And of course, there is a relevant XKCD about standard protocols and companies deciding to make their own instead of using the standard:

standards.png

The simplest solution would be for Dynon to start supporting GDL90 data streams both in and out.

Stratux (an opensource project that has little to no actual funding) has been sending WX and traffic data to Foreflight for years now, with no issues. Its not a Foreflight issue.....its a Dynon issue.

THIS. Garmin, Advanced Flight Systems (a Dynon company), GRT, MGL.... ALL the competitors accept GDL90 over RS232. Dynon, meanwhile, continues dragging their entire customer base down the path of overpriced, proprietary boxes that didn't work correctly for nearly a year and don't talk to other devices. Yet they've never come out to explain why their proprietary box is better than a Stratux.

Works for me

When I flew this past Thursday both weather and traffic displayed fine on ForeFlight. And no I don?t have any other device that sends data to ForeFlight other than Dynon.

Gary

When I flew this past Thursday both weather and traffic displayed fine on ForeFlight. And no I don?t have any other device that sends data to ForeFlight other than Dynon.

Gary

Gary, care to share what software versions you're running on both Skyview and Foreflight? What Dynon ADSB module?

Also, are there other settings you're using? How did you set this up in both Skyview and Foreflight?

I contacted Foreflight this weekend and was told it's not working yet.

My feeling (and it's only that) is that Foreflight has a little bit of an attitude problem here and it's related to their relationship with Appareo. They ought to just admit it and quit pretending that they plan to deal with it. I currently have both a subscription to Foreflight and Garmin Pilot. Both expire in the fall, and if Foreflight hasn't resolved this by then, I am not going to renew with them, and I'll just go forward with Garmin. If I can interface a Stratux box with Pilot, I'll do it, but Foreflight isn't going to be a part of my life moving forward.

I'm just amazed everyone is flying with Foreflight up, when all that weather and traffic is displayed on the pretty Dynon screen. :p

Hopefully it will eventually be displayed on Foreflight, but what we've got is pretty nice.

I'm just amazed everyone is flying with Foreflight up, when all that weather and traffic is displayed on the pretty Dynon screen. :p

Hopefully it will eventually be displayed on Foreflight, but what we've got is pretty nice.

The iPad is a much easier display to use than the Classic D700s that I have, plus the display options from FF and Garmin are much better. What I want to do is use my second D700 display for engine instruments only and have my moving map, etc on my ipad. Three screens instead of two and a much better user interface than the Dynon option. My opinion

And the solution?

THIS. Garmin, Advanced Flight Systems (a Dynon company), GRT, MGL.... ALL the competitors accept GDL90 over RS232. Dynon, meanwhile, continues dragging their entire customer base down the path of overpriced, proprietary boxes that didn't work correctly for nearly a year and don't talk to other devices. Yet they've never come out to explain why their proprietary box is better than a Stratux.

I must have missed the detour on this thread, when it went from solutions and settings to 'whining, rinse and repeat'. If it's productive, then all for it. But the focus of the question raised by the v15.3.3 and 'new' ADSB-472 pertains to why/how some get TIS/FIS with a -470 and others don't. Seems that the 'newly' released -472 and 15.3.3. is expected to work and has a firmware update.

Maybe if the thread focuses on those who say it works, what gear and settings are used? My environment is SkyView 'Classic' D1000 & WiFi to iPad/ForeFlight (current latest SW releases on all). Doesn't work for me, yet. Oh, and ADSB-470. [All Dynon gear]

Maybe the poster(s) who says it worked will enlighten us with the working gear/settings? Or, we can beat the dead horse more and see if it solves the problem.

Someone at FF suggested that it's possibly related to the IP:port assignment, and mentioned Port 4000. Mine shows Port:8384, but find no way to set the port so it's the default.

Nice indeed!!

Yes, it is 'nice indeed' on the SkyView but 10" is not enough for PFD, EMS, and moving map. Would like to use the moving map WITH TIS-B on FF and devote the single SkyView to PFD/EMS (the primary dynamic flight tools). Of course, the Dual Screen EFIS is the new 'minimum' as we move ahead, but poverty limited my choices to one EFIS and FF, FN (e.g. ForNow).

How my grandfather flew in an SE-5 is beyond me. And there was no EFIS in the B-32 which Dad flew. How'd he get home?
We will have a Dynon solution soon ...

Kurt,
I should be flying on Wednesday, will take a few screen shots. That is if it works like it did last week! I always had weather on ForeFlight but traffic didn't appear until I installed the new 472 and Ver 15.3.3

Gary

Yes and No

Kurt,
So the answer is yes and no. When I flew home last Thursday I had weather and traffic on ForeFlight via WiFi from the Dynon. As I was warming up the engine this afternoon made sure the iPad was WiFi connected to Dynon. Before I even took off I had traffic on both the Skyview screen and ForeFlight. The ForeFlight MAP selection tab that brings up VFR Sectional, IFR Low and all the other MAP selections has a new icon that says TRAFFIC, just under Hazard Advisory. You can see the 4 targets. I also have Flight Category on.

2evyee8.jpg
[/IMG]

Flew over to Greenville for fuel, 15 minutes I was back in the air. Figured I would take a few more shots of the traffic and guess what. No TRAFFIC selection on ForeFlight!! I closed the program and restarted, no joy. WiFi was definitely connected. Seems intermittent at this point so definitely not fixed. Not sure if it's Dynon or ForeFlight. I have the latest and greatest 472 and ver 15.3.3.

Gary

Thank you for the update, Gary! I have the ADSB-470 box and have never seen the traffic selection option in that list. Unsure whether that's because of the 470 or I just haven't hit the Dynon-Foreflight ADSB lottery on any flight yet.

Back