What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build RV8

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
Looking at buying a RV8 or RV8A quick build kit. I love the idea of building the whole plane, but I need to be realistic with the commitment. Sounds like QB saves ~30%.

Any disadvantages to QB other the higher $$$?
Workmanship/quality good/constant?
Any horror stories with getting the repairman cert?

Roger

Depends on what you want to build.
If you want to build a very stock or slightly modified aircraft then QB is a good way to go.
If you want to go wild with mods then you will spend time going backwards first before you go forward with a QB. Realistically, you will probably still save time.
I am building a QB and also doing the fastback conversion and I still consider myself ahead of the game where progress is concerned even when undoing some of the factory work. I don't get to spend a lot of time building so I think the QB was the right way to go for me. If I could get an hour or so a day and weekends or if I could get several solid days in a row every couple weeks I probably would have gone with a standard build just to do the little detail things I want. I get an afternoon or one weekend day every few weeks so the QB has been a huge bonus.

I have encountered a few issues in both the QB fuselage and wings but nothing that required huge rework.

RV8 QB

Hi Roger,
It really comes down to "time and $$. Every builder needs to asses that choice according to your personal preference.
I'm building the RV8 Quick Build (wings and fuselage) and have been happy with the quality of the QB construction.
Van's will work with you, particularly if you have a desire to polish your airplane. They will do their best to ship you Wings/Fuselage that have limited scratches.
Best of luck with you desicision, you'll enjoy the experience!

Regards,
Mike Perillo

If you choose QB, order it as early as possible. My lead time turned out to be 8+ months; I'm guessing it's longer than that now. Van's recommends ordering QB wings and fuselage together so they can be matched.

There is absolutely nothing in life you will find that is better value for money time wise than a Vans quick build kit. I built a slow build because the lead time was "so long" on a quick build, but working full time on the standard kit took me longer to get to quick build stage than the lead time on the quick build (...significantly longer). If you are working full time, but want to fly this thing before you turn 80, the quick build can't be beat. If on the other hand you want the project for the sake of just building, then by all means get a slow build.
Don't worry so much about not "building it all" yourself. I didn't build my engine, nor did I fabricate the mainspar (Van's does that for you) or build my instrumentation motherboards from scratch. At the end of the project you will still look back and see it as a massive achievement and will be less likely to have farmed out some of the more interesting and potentially costly parts of the project (wiring, painting, interior) that come at the end. It's a lot more satisfying to complete something than risk it being a never ending thorn in your side if you know you may be time poor. 8 months lead time will go quickly by the time you build a workshop and an empennage and do a little more overtime to pay for that quickbuild.
Hope this helps.
Tom.
RV-7, 90% complete.
Huge quick build fan (because I don't have one).

Mine was the super slow build, but in retrospect, I am glad I did it that way. The skills I learned building mine have served me well in other areas and as a result, I am not scared to take on projects I wouldn't have touched earlier. Having said that, if I was inclined to start another project (and I'm not), I'd go with the QB because what was educational at the time now would be tedious. Age also is important. If you want to fly and you're older, just buy a flying plane and modify it to suit your tastes. That's the real quick build. Lastly, the best way to get a kit up in the air (QB or not) is to stay as standard as you can, and as simple and as light as you can. Going off into the weeds by selecting engines, accessories, etc that are new and unusual is the best way to blow your schedule sky high. Ask me how I know. :p

Back