What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with FltPlan Go app

prkaye

Well Known Member
I just got an Android phone (new ZTE Axon 7) and put the FltPlan Go app on it. I've been having a problem that every time I start the app it says "Internet Required... you need an internet connection in order to setup the app". But I know I have an internet connection (both cellular and Wifi connected).
Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been using FPG for quite a while, both on a Nexus 9 tablet and LG G3 Smartphone and never had a problem like that. iirc, it does need the the internet connection for initial setup, and it's sure needed to download maps, plates, etc., but you must have had that or you couldn't have installed the app in the first place.

email support at fltplan dot com. They are undoubtedly the best support group I've ever dealt with. They get back to you very quickly.

Make sure you enable the app to have access to data via cellular and/or Wifi.

Last edited:
I don't think that's necessary. My tablet has no cell access and I've inhibited it on the phone ...

Certainly not via cellular but it needs some type of access to the internet for downloading content/maps, etc. Once maps are downloaded, they can be used offline, of course. I assume he knows all this already.

Certainly not via cellular but it needs some type of access to the internet for downloading content/maps, etc. Once maps are downloaded, they can be used offline, of course. I assume he knows all this already.

You're right, for sure. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he had established internet connection on the phone but the app didn't recognize it and wouldn't go through setup because of that.

How about trying an uninstall and reinstall?

Odd. I don't recall ever seeing this on either my Nexus 7 tablet or any of a number of Android phones. Maybe something funny during initial installation? Maybe uninstall, reboot, and then re-install to start fresh?

Phil, make sure you haven't got it set up to use the maps online rather than the downloaded ones. Seems to me I saw that config item the other day when fiddling with it on my Samsung Tab A.

I've been using FltPlan Go on my Samsung Tab (and My Nexus 7 before I broke the screen) for a couple of years. I love it. It was a huge bonus going to and from Osh this year, especially when I could bring up the airport diagrams and such in flight before landing. I even make sure I have the latest CFS and procedures on it.

When flying here in Canada, I tether to my Rogers phone so I can get the weather overlays and stuff in flight (when I have data coverage).

Cheers

I just got an Android phone (new ZTE Axon 7) and put the FltPlan Go app on it. I've been having a problem that every time I start the app it says "Internet Required... you need an internet connection in order to setup the app". But I know I have an internet connection (both cellular and Wifi connected).
Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry for the delayed response. Initial installation of the FltPlan Go app requires that you open the app after downloading to allow it to finish installing.

This is only required on the initial installation. Feel free to contact support in the future.

Sorry for the delayed response. Initial installation of the FltPlan Go app requires that you open the app after downloading to allow it to finish installing.
I think if you read the original post again, you'll see that he can't get the app to start up the first time. It wants an internet connection, that the tablet already has. So for some reason FltPlanGo isn't finding the internet connection?

It sounds like a tablet issue not a FltPlanGo issue, but maybe there's been other reports of similar problems that you might be able to search through.

Phil, make sure you haven't got it set up to use the maps online rather than the downloaded ones. Seems to me I saw that config item the other day when fiddling with it on my Samsung Tab A.

I've been using FltPlan Go on my Samsung Tab (and My Nexus 7 before I broke the screen) for a couple of years. I love it. It was a huge bonus going to and from Osh this year, especially when I could bring up the airport diagrams and such in flight before landing. I even make sure I have the latest CFS and procedures on it.

When flying here in Canada, I tether to my Rogers phone so I can get the weather overlays and stuff in flight (when I have data coverage).

Cheers
Apologize for being a bit off topic but, Mark, how does your Samsung compare to the nexus in terms of screen brightness under the canopy? What size/model is it?

Last edited:
Apologize for being a bit off topic but, Mark, how does your Samsung compare to the nexus in terms of screen brightness under the canopy? What size/model is it?

It is an 8" Samsung Tab A. It isn't as bright, and not as fast, but it does do the trick. However, if I could have found a Nexus for a decent price, I would have bought that....

Installation Problems

There were several models affected by a firmware update. Anyone with installation problems should uninstall anything already downloaded and start fresh. A fix has been added to the new release.

I hope this helps. Someone is always available by email.

"Someone is always available by email."

I can vouch for this statement, having had one of my issues resolved on a Saturday. Very impressive.

Yeah, I agree with that. Some of the best service I've run across ...
x3. I've had excellent interactions with them via email as well, they corrected some CFS entries after I contacted them to report some missing pages.

I'm also impressed that they are taking the time to come here and check this forum from time to time.

Back