What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flyleds.com

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
I am going to encourage Paul, the designer of flyleds in Australia to advertise here. After seeing a poster comment here I ordered a stand alone tail LED for my RV. It fills a niche in the world of RV lighting. I have certified LED strobes and Nav lights on the wing tips from Whelen, who do advertise here. The offerings in the market for tail position/strobes is varied. I am mainly concerned with forward lighting for recognition and landing. Wing tips mainly to be seen by traffic coming in at an angle. The rear light is less of a concern for me (well... come on RV's are so fast, nobody usually sneaks up behind me)
So, spending $150 for a bright CREE bulb with an excellent heat sink and driver circuitry was ideal for my plane. Paul customized the strobe to spell out a message in morse just because he can. It has a small aluminum bracket that will get permanently glassed into the tail opening. Then the assembly will mount with the usual two screws. Much better than a modified flashlight bulb from China in my observation. He custom makes the resin dome and it can be polished if the builder would like to do that.

I really like that LED tail strobe!

I am currently using a Whelen and it is the only incandescent lamp on my ship. When it blows, this will be a priority item on my list!

Very nice stuff! Thanks for sharing!

:cool: CJ

Review of the Nav/Strobe kit

I posted this review in another thread but thought it might get lost since that thread focused on the nav only option. Here it is again with a couple pictures.

I'd like to add to the review with the excellent service and product I received from Paul at FlyLEDs. As with many vendors, I received a confirmation email with tracking number shortly after I placed the online order. What surprised me was to also receive an email from Paul when the package made it to the US. Apparently he was tracking the package as well.

The kit was well organized with the parts for each nav light packaged in their own bag. This was helpful since the red and green lights use different resistors. The white strobe lights are in another bag with their resistors and the components for the control board are separated in yet another bag. This makes finding the correct parts very easy and kept me from putting the wrong parts in the wrong places.

The instructions for the kit are excellent. They were exactly what this novice needed. The surface mounted LEDs were fairly easy to install as were the rest of the wing tip components. I did have to use my superman vision (bifocals) to see the tiny +/- symbols on the position LEDs. A simple test with a 9v battery showed they worked as planned.

The control board was a bit more of a challenge but was easier than I anticipated. I sharpened the tip of my soldering iron and got to work. I had to use the magnify app on my phone several times to ensure I didn't bridge some of the terminals as they can be fairly tight, especially for someone like me who's only soldering experience is connecting a few wires together. Another test using the 9v battery showed success. Definitely a testament to Paul's instructions and well planned kit.

A couple of things I noticed while assembling the kit. There are redundant circuits for both the nav and strobe lights. No single component will bring down the entire light, a nice improvement over the single incandescent bulbs. By placing the control board under the seats I will only need to run four wires back from the panel (ground and positives for nav/strobe/wig wag). One reason I bought this kit was to use the strobes as the wig wags instead of my landing lights. Hopefully this will extend the life of the HID bulbs. I also ordered the tail nav/strobe light. It comes pre-built and is the easiest part of the kit.

I highly recommend the FlyLEDs kit.

Brian

RmdscrxMLBXCoBDYFxJpib_PzrcFpFDafQoha1jzway--5YNxzuOfFt6U-KU5m7BAiIvFtcdey5lIdKQOCIWKs8irtDXKl4_StD0EFzc0sFMegyVrgZH-gyIeMgVzWMQ2Xn8fy6az2IyQPif1SVhXd_mfbyyZ3vPgXP7bCfgQadhEtmbqXmeBtKyRXtfQDxNE6-pwAPf4qs9DRsV9NLLihHjfZCUOSOP8ocoyzndCVFNwfTnZuLxkAxU1lIS-0vXoiBKoDWbJ6oNti2vAjg2Eq36fU_Thpk26WHj8DQtSc_CBsXjxRfEpv1xDe02HE_5pdWET_a5cf8KtW0SLfqQuEZZrL0aEMfVBaSWsP-w_RQhnwiUXqKWiMejDCzGRVeiPA9MCwHvqiz0EcP2-BMZDJdLBdCtcH9g2GoDTsIenuYtFl1gWepIz6fv-TSoHEdB3OVgYoeaX-n5PAdSvHHo8RC6uPWjhlaMAGY4oKrv88JVJgoQFRUUq8Dx4OAeVFVR9iI9nPLSE7c-6eumnlbxIjwr8q0eCPMXj7-i2h9Z2V6toD2ZDkoC59sYqzp6BUYdJ8rG=w386-h685-no

3kPZgnB64EXfnHx-3hgMPWFN1fuCQ_jPqC2e5O-WU46U-jYWA0SRT3N4Ucyq83_pirUrwBhlXAUKYGzwPxoapkq38SHuj2a-zoZWvK8FQk9htqQg-i7xhgR400mqyfWLRO20IU2-BP3ohh-0yV5PC4DxktlBe4ETW3vvuWAUAGQlCubNBkP9KsgCGe6il4o8afn7HiM3yjAPwkS8dv7rlDa0N7hAwfNyujcQ3KE3JXNkGBYewlhlLo7KYWaEcRU0MPWT3vUXZygqeVA8H-5fPbONhnwBljUHYfEogvGwZ16gta_nGgGH-Koj32NVRbu7rOr2yPulAmhtBMlmnlXx9wsIYPf_Q8-97W_R10ZPqQKOdCv5Z1mNrZENkzjfgIXiOwap5UhFt2B6VhtCd5VUm-p_SF7pOvGxmpGHg-DF3AXmLa-19ZRuC-0Lz6jJwCoigl2F_SqkTOMOkm3MmIHgyyF5noJ2CfO-j3Wobxgq7dxlGbUq7T9g5p5GBCuctE8oFBDkOatMnAxrB56aaonD8lQ7ZGA2MesrTsi0wDyzMF8PPiR0xfCETTzECNFbzKLvqPcK=w386-h685-no

I too am a big fan of the flyleds.com products. Paul is very responsive and helped me on a few questions I had during assembly. He really makes a nice DIY kit that is easy enough to put together. Frankly an evening at home was all that was needed to solder everything together. The components are easily replaced should one fail. Here are a few pictures of them installed (not functional yet) in my -10.

jr9zqb.jpg

96lx00.jpg

Back