What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument panel questions

noelf

Well Known Member
A friend just brought home his new-to-him RV14A. Nicely done by the way. It has the canopy release ejection handle oriented horizontally as shown in the construction drawings. He needs to rotate the ejection handle to a vertical orientation so that "he" can add a Dynon autopilot control box.

I found in the construction documentation where a temporary ejection rod is fabricated, and where the instrument panel would be found in the "avionics" section. I was guessing that the real ejection handle installation would be described here or somewhere, but I could not find it. His documentation did not include an avionics section or chapter.

I also have an early release of the RV-14 construction CD from Van's, but it is also lacking any mention of the instrument panel or the ejection handle.

Where do I find the information on the installation of the canopy eject handle?

Been flying mine for six months and have yet to see such documents. While at Van's last year I asked to see this set up on their two demos and neither had the finished assemblyinstalled at that time and the employees I asked did not have the details to provide me.

Ejection handle

Call Vans and ask for the kit. It came with the parts and instruction chapter. I cut and rotated mine for a vertical handle.

Page 38-20 Revision 1
Handle is Part number C-01444
Snap bushing SB500-6
Clevis pin MS20392-2C13
Cotter pin MS24665-132

That is the entire kit.

Last edited:
Release Handle

Finish Kit Section Page 38-20 shows the fabrication diagram for a temporary release handle (as I guess you already know about).

My 14A Finish Kit included, what I am guessing, is the permanent release handle. It was powder coated white and the T-handle at the panel end has its two ends bent-formed forward slightly - looks final and finished to me.

I am planning to shorten the handle so that it does not protrude through the instrument panel and can only be actuated to release the canopy after the canopy is raised while on the ground - for accessibility and maintenance purposes. Plus it does not take up what I consider to be very valuable panel space.

I can't envision ever having to, or wanting to, release the canopy in flight; and I'll keep some sort of break-out tool in the cockpit if I have to get out and the canopy won't open.

Edit 170326 - The Page 38-20 (Rev 1: 4/21/16) in my hard copy of the assembly instructions shows part no. C-01444 - 'CANOPY JETTISON HANDLE' (Inventory listed as C-01444-PC) installed and connected to the release linkage.

Last edited:
Back