What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prince Propeller

cranland

I'm New Here
i have a metal Sensenich cruise prop on my RV-8 which i bought from the builder. It cruises at 180 MPH, very happy with that, but sluggish on ground roll. I was all set to put a Whirlwind CS prop on, but I have a O-360 A2A which does not have accessory case for governor :-( Has anyone used the Prince P tip carbon fiber props? Are you happy with it? Does it perform as Prince says? I would appreciate any input.
Thanks, Peter

RV4

I purchased an RV4 that had a carbon fiber Prince P-tip 68 x 76 on a 320. Trouble free for 250+ hours. I liked the prop.

Compared to your metal prop, there is no rev limit and it only weighs 11 lbs. The light weight implies CG and idle issues.

There is a -8 on our field with the Prince P-Tip and he is very happy with the prop in front of his Titan 360 with Superior cold air sump.

I went with a 3 blade Catto due to the Prince prop lead time (at the time) but dealing with the lower cowl installation and removal has me, at those times, wanting a 2 blade prop.

Had a Prince P Tip on my O-360 RV6. Very happy with it. WOT at 3000' would turn 2750 rpm.
Installed a Landol Harmonic balancer which improved static/takeoff rpm by about 40 rpm.
Lonnie Prince will build you whatever you ask for. Very smooth.

Jake

Yes, Yes,Yes and sure.

We have an 8A and run a hand built IO-360 that turns out about 195 BHP. Prince built us a custom 68X79" P tip carbon for that engine, airframe, speed range. We latter found out that we had a little more Hp. than we had planed on and he very nicely tuned it up to 81". It did very well before we re-pitched it and now it jumps off the ground and does a rundown of an RV-7 with an IO-360 with a W,Wind C.S. on it. I know we tried it. He came over the field with me on the end of the runway and was at 3,000 climbing to 4,000. Our 8 was able to run him down with in 10 Nm. We have exactly the 2,300 to 2,320 RPMs static run- up on the ground and can hold 2,760 up through 9,000' D. Alt. The prop does change pitch about 4" as it cones out under heavy load for better climb then relaxes as it get up to speed in level flight after the climb-out. I can take it up to high speed and not think it is going to come apart. It is field repairable, don't ask about the rocks on our taxi ways. I do have a little vibration at from 1100-1350 RPMs but that is not the props fault. We run 9:1 pistons and did not install a counter weighted crank in this engine. In the flight range from 1600 to 2800 RPMs it is smooth and I have no issues with it. Prince props may be a very little slower than some others, but they are lifetime and then some good blades to get more than your moneys worth out of over the life of your aircraft.
Yes I would do it again. Hope this helps, but it is your call and there are a lot of props and different styles of flying out there. What I like and do another will not be happy with for his type of flying.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

P.S. Brad is correct, I have seen his prop and talked to him about it. The Catto three blade like he has is smooth and quiet nice to look at. You will find that a two blade will be most air friendly and cowling friendly and pocket book friendly as well. Most of the prop builders will make you anything you want, getting it to be durable and cost effective is hard to do with the high end C.S. props.

Last edited:
Back