What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fresh wax after too many years - RV-6A

kjlpdx

Well Known Member
after seeing Rian wax his -7 this weekend I was inspired. I used to wax n3773 every annual, but have gotten lax lately. looks pretty good for a 17 yr old plane that has flown the equivalent of 8 times around the world. I had vinyl graphics before vans used it on their -9 proto [they called me with questions]. I switched to round inlets long ago, copying lancairs,[before sam james cowls were avail] after repeated cracks with the stock inlets and reports that air actually flowed out near the center of those rectangular inlets. at one time I tried extending the carb inlet right up to the prop like I had seen on reno racers. high angle of attack brought on a stumbling of a starved engine. that got sawed off real quickly! now my mods are like adding a step for my passenger and, ugg, old 14-01-31 spar cracks [what a pain that was].

Trusted steed!

What a good looking plane. I love to see the ones that have stood the test of time and proven themselves.

.....at one time I tried extending the carb inlet right up to the prop like I had seen on reno racers. high angle of attack brought on a stumbling of a starved engine. that got sawed off real quickly!

Years ago at OSH I parked next to a couple of RVers who had been featured in the mags due to their speed mods, one of which was the extended air intake. At the time it was getting a lot of attention, but it soon faded from public view. I have wondered why we never heard anymore about that mod....maybe we know now. :)

You have a beautiful airplane and that only comes from lots of love. My spam can (Sky Pig I) is a 1968 bonanza that shocks people when I tell them her age. If you keep them in good shape, the planes will provide lots of trouble free service.

chrome pinstripe tape. they warn you not to use it for curves, and I have had problems with it in spots. the yellow and grey is pro quality vinyl and bullet-proof.

we flew to orcas island once before the paint. a lady getting off a Kenmore air flight [amphib] said to my wife, "you flew here in that?". my wife proudly responded, "yes, and it's flies faster than the plane you came in on".

Back