What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Wrap Completed. Photos.

Gash

Well Known Member
After flying a bare aluminum RV-8 for almost two years, I finally got around to finishing it by having my airplane completely vinyl wrapped by AircraftWraps. As you can see by the photos, the results are amazing. For anyone who is "on the fence" trying to make a decision about wrapping versus painting, hopefully this little review will give some details to help with your decision.

Planning. I spent over 6 months working with Craig at Scheme Designers to come up with a detailed plan. He did a great job of taking my inputs, detailed P-51 Mustang photos, and other ideas and adapting them to the RV-8. My goal was to be as historically accurate as possible to a 352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed B@stards of Bodney" P-51D. Colors, dimensions, measurements and placards are all as accurate as we could make them while fitting onto the RV-8 shape. Some placards are excluded simply to avoid looking too cluttered. I did indulge in some non-historical creative license with the name "Lady Katie", actual Vans Aircraft serial number on the tail, and personally significant dates under the five Balkenkreuz kill crosses. One note on the blue color. It is very difficult to find the accurate 352nd Fighter Group blue. Luckily I discovered that the P-51D "Little Rebel" had the actual paint code matched from a paint sample from inside the still standing Bodney Field latrine where extra blue paint was used on the walls of the toilets. Scott from AircraftWraps and I matched that color very closely by holding vinyl samples next to the P-51 paint in daylight until the naked eye could not see a difference. As a result, what you see here is historically accurate.

Decision. I was originally going to paint my airplane. I found several reputable paint shops and got quotes from each. Then when Scott introduced AircraftWraps here on VAF, I was one of the first to contact him to learn about his materials and process. I was very impressed with his description of the material quality, durability, weight savings, cost savings, time savings, and infinite possibilities for applying detail and imagination without the limitations of paint. The decision was for me a "no brainer". My cost to wrap was about 2/3 of the average paint quote. I also saved approximately 20 pounds compared to the weight of paint!

Process. Three days from start to finish. That's right. That's all the time it took for a crew of 4 guys to complete the job. I should note that this is a complete covering vinyl wrap. Every inch from tip to tail is covered in silver and blue vinyl. After watching the AircraftWraps crew working on my plane, my conclusion is that these people are a bunch of Type A, detail oriented uber-craftsmen who love airplanes. They are definitely not just run-of-the-mill vinyl wrappers like you'd find at an automotive vinyl shop. They put seams in aesthetically thoughtful and aerodynamically smart locations, and they have the ability to make the vinyl look great around tough shapes like intakes and the spinner. This is the reason Red Bull and others are knocking on their door now. When my finished airplane was delivered, Scott personally showed me the masterpiece and taught me how to care for a wrap--just 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol in a squirt bottle wiped on with a microfiber cloth to slide the bugs right off the surface. No need to ever wax or polish. Simple and quick.

Results. AircraftWraps far exceeded my expectations. The airplane matches the scheme on paper exactly to the milimeter. Whatever you can dream up on paper, these guys can faithfully and precisely match on an airplane. It's really pretty amazing how this new technology can take complex and detailed plans and cost-effectively bring them to life. My favorite example of this is the exhaust stacks on my airplane. I asked Scott if they could make them look realistic and 3-dimensional. He said "yeah, we can do that" and boy, was he right! I would have paid hundreds of dollars to have an artist airbrush these exhaust stacks, but with vinyl it's as simple as printing and applying. Finally, there's the reduced drag from the way vinyl covers rivets and imperfections. I have not yet precisely measured the airspeed increase from parasite drag reduction, but yesterday I did have a "wow" moment when I pushed all the levers forward and sustained 189 kias in level flight at 2500 MSL on a hot Arizona day with full fuel tanks and 30 pounds of luggage in the back. I hadn't seen that before, that's for sure. Maybe I need to take this thing to Reno next year...

Photos. So now for the important part of this post, the photos!

IMG_7619_zps53ca58a4.jpg

IMG_7627_zpsf0aa9aa8.jpg

IMG_7629_zps03edd3cc.jpg

IMG_7631_zpsabd795a6.jpg

IMG_7633_zps02852dab.jpg

...and the final picture, my wife got to be the first passenger on a lunch date to Chandler Municipal Airport today. It's great to finally be flying in a "finished" airplane!

IMG_7658_zps49dc0a94.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Gash?way cool?just beautiful!

Nice job Scott and Co!

Gash, what's the history on the scheme?bet it's cool!

Early Christmas present?H0, H0 (H0)! ;)

Well done brudda!

Cheers,
Bob

What was the prep? Is there a seam on your spinner or wheel pant nose?

BEE-yootiful!

Nasty, the 352nd Fighter Group was the highest scoring fighter group in the European Theater. The group consisted of three squadrons, the 487th, 328th and 486th Fighter Squadrons. This scheme is from the 487th Fighter Squadron which had blue tails.

The 352nd's aircraft markings followed VIII Fighter Command convention. Both sides of the fuselage behind the cockpit were painted with the national insignia. A two-letter squadron identifier was painted in front of it. The 487th Fighter Squadron's designation was "HO," whereas the 328th's was "PE" and the 486th's was "PZ". I also feel some attachment to "HO" since this was on our jets at Holloman Air Force Base when I was stationed there.

The letter on the P-51 tail was normally the first letter of the last name of the pilot. For instance, George Preddy's aircraft (the top Mustang ace of WWII) had a "P" on the tail. The "G" on the tail of my airplane is the first letter of my last name, in keeping with the historical aircraft marking convention.

There was no "Lady Katie" in the real 487th FS. I decided to name my airplane after my youngest daughter. That was one of the departures from historical accuracy that I allowed myself, since it is my airplane after all. :)

Last edited:
Bill, the prep was pretty basic. The fiberglass parts need to be as finished as you can get them. It's not like a paint shop where they'll do some glass work before painting. You'll need to have all that done before you give it to AircraftWraps. The vinyl fits very tightly to the surface, so if you can see fiberglass weave now, you'll still see it after the wrap is done. I spent lots of time/money on getting this right before turning it over to be wrapped, and I'm glad I did. It looks perfect.

As far as metal prep goes, all they do is scrub it clean. There's no priming or any other surface application needed prior to wrapping. I gave Scott and the guys a clean airplane, so hopefully they didn't have to redo too much in that department.

The area on the leading edge of the wings where the tanks meet the outboard skin has a small gap that needs to be filled in. Scott filled those with bondo, or equivalent (I didn't see exactly what he used), and then sanded it smooth. This avoids having the vinyl bridge a gap that could be damaged by air loads. Side note: would an automotive vinyl shop think of something like this? Nope.

The seams are mostly hidden or at the trailing edges wherever possible. One area that you do see a seam is on the spinner and on the wheel pants. That's unavoidable, but you can't see it until you're standing close, and it doesn't bother me at all.

The only thing that was a pain was removing my belly antennas. Since AircraftWraps believes in doing large one-piece sections, they do not want to cut holes around antennas, as that would disrupt the look and create unnecessarily large openings. I therefore had the pleasure of pulling my seats and cockpit floor panels so that I could remove two comm antennas, and the transponder and ADS-B blade antennas. It wasn't fun drilling out a bunch of rivets, but hey, it was for a good cause! The underside of the airplane looks perfect, so it was worth the effort.

Last edited:
N number?

Beautiful design. Nicely done. The vinyl exhausts look real. How are you addressing the N number requirements?

Thanks David. I forgot to mention that the N numbers are there, I just photoshop'ed them out of these pictures due to my personal penchant for internet privacy. Of course, when I park at airshows, etc. all the plane spotters will add me to their international databases, but there's nothing I can do about that. :rolleyes: See this recent thread on the topic.

Last edited:
That's one of the best looking "paint" schemes I've seen on an -8. I can see why you're happy with it. Congrats on a beautiful airplane!!!

what a beautiful plane. I've used Craig twice on 2 different planes and he really is wonderful at bringing your imagination to life. Absolutely beautiful !

Wow! That looks great! I wondered if they could wrap a compound shape like a spinner without a seam. Sounds like the easy maintenance is a plus!

Really really beautiful plane! I have a George Preddy scheme and was happy to see yours!! Enjoy the bird!

Wrap

That's beautiful. Thanks cor all the tips. I'm working with an artist on my design now.
Did you consider priming before the wrap?

I love it! The exhausts are really over the top and actually look three dimensional!
Are all of the graphics printed in the vinyl or are they stuck on afterwards?

Did you consider priming before the wrap?

Larry, I did not consider priming the metal before the wrap simply because it's unnecessary and would add extra weight. The airplane is sealed up tight like a drum now, so I'm not at all concerned about corrosion.

However, I did prime (and sand, and prime, and sand and...) all the fiberglass parts. When completed, the wrap adheres so tightly to the surface that you will see anything underneath that you left for "good enough."

Are all of the graphics printed in the vinyl or are they stuck on afterwards?

Don, all of the graphics are printed separately and then applied on top of the blue or silver base colors. This is to avoid stretching and possible distortion of graphics that could happen during the application of the base layer vinyl. There are some great advantages to this. First, all of my insignia, placards and other graphics were very precisely positioned on the plane. Second, I can change things! If I ever wanted to sell the airplane, I can carefully remove my name on the canopy skirt and the new owner can put his on. Or I can make myriad additions or deletions to the scheme as time goes by. I'm actually considering adding a fuel cap behind the canopy and a gun camera port on the left wing root. All I need to do is email a picture to AircraftWraps and they can make it.

Looks great

How did they do the area around top edge of the windshield? Do you have any close-ups of the windshield?

The reason I ask, is that this is one area that my paint needs considerable touch-up and I'm not sure that re-painting will hold up any better.

Looks nice Gash. Can't wait to see it. Did they remove any control surfaces? Did you take the weight of the aircraft before and after?

Wow! stunning is the word-

Outstanding Gash! I keep looking for oil drippings or something from the exhaust. Real nice, can't wait to see it up close.

Thank you Karl.

I personally would like to thank my crew for putting in some monster hours while visiting the PHX area.

Getting her done in 3 days was only possible with verrrrry long days. AircraftWraps is also blessed with a crew that enjoys and believes in changing the aviation color scheme standard.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
Currently trying to catch up after being gone for over 3 weeks between Reno and PHX wraps.

Please visit our instagram page listed in the signature. We will be adding content frequently. You may enjoy our professional photo shoot posted there ;)

Last edited:
Wows, thanks for the excellent photos

you are right about the exhaust stacks, could not believe they were flat! Congrats on a gorgeous RV8!

Gash, now you have to install A/C, one because you're AZ based, but two, you need the condenser scoop to complete the look!

Myron, as soon as I can figure out how to recover 90% of the cooling drag by creating exit thrust (just like a real Mustang) I'll do it!

p51-cooling-system_158_zpsebacca99.jpg

How did they do the area around top edge of the windshield? Do you have any close-ups of the windshield?

The reason I ask, is that this is one area that my paint needs considerable touch-up and I'm not sure that re-painting will hold up any better.

Rick, I took a couple closeups of the windscreen fairing area for you today. There is an extra layer of vinyl strip added there so that if there's any damage later on (high speed kamikaze bugs, etc.) it will be easy to just peel away the extra strip and replace. It's really hard to see the seam from the extra strip of vinyl, even in the closeup photos. The line that you can easily see is the edge of the fiberglass where it meets the plexiglass underneath the vinyl. The vinyl wrap overlaps the edge of the fiberglass here a bit to give a clean straight line appearance.

I would recommend giving Scott a call over at AircraftWraps (or maybe he'll answer here?) He's can give a more expert answer on how you might use this to address your problem in this area.

IMG_7659_zps56c1ab16.jpg

IMG_7660_zps282f8ef0.jpg

IMG_7661_zpsf49e9f77.jpg

Did they remove any control surfaces? Did you take the weight of the aircraft before and after?

The flaps and ailerons were removed. The rudder was disconnected. The elevator range of motion was sufficient to get the wrap on without removal.

The pre-wrap weight was 1,096 lbs. Post wrap is 1,109 lbs. Not all of that weight gain is vinyl though. Last week I replaced my cracked aluminum exit air cooling ramp with a 24 gauge stainless steel ramp that I fabricated. I also added a couple sheets of Damplifier mat to the inside of the ramp space to cut down on floor vibration in the cockpit. I estimate that my cooling ramp modification and repair added 2 pounds (it's thick and bulletproof now!) The rest of the weight, 11 pounds, can be attributed to the new vinyl wrap.

Last edited:
Is it impolite to ask how much? Obviously each wrap will be different, etc. etc. but seeing enough finished airplanes next to their costs would give people rough ideas what their project may cost...

Thanks for windshield photos

Interesting the way they do the windshield. I'm sure they get a better bond by having the vinyl extend on to the plexi.

My paint is chipping right along the edge where the fiberglass and plexi meet.

Interesting the way they do the windshield. I'm sure they get a better bond by having the vinyl extend on to the plexi.

My paint is chipping right along the edge where the fiberglass and plexi meet.

Hi Rick,

We (AircraftWraps) like the clean straight line that vinyl onto plexi displays. We can terminate the vinyl either at the edge or as shown. However, the transition from fiberglass to plexi must be smooth enough to allow the vinyl to transition without have voids behind the vinyl. Gash's windshield transition was perfect.

Regards,

Scott

Is it impolite to ask how much? Obviously each wrap will be different, etc. etc. but seeing enough finished airplanes next to their costs would give people rough ideas what their project may cost...

Rob,

Please send us an email at [email protected] with the details you'd like quoted and we'll respond within 24hrs.

*Our customers are currently enjoying very favorable pricing while we try to add vinyl wrapped airframes throughout the market. Exposing others to our product is part of our pricing at this time.

Happy customers, 70% weight savings, increased speeds, completed in a fraction of the time and 25-30% less cost... :eek:

Regards,

Scott

Back