What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2014 AirVenture Survey

N941WR

Legacy Member
This group, being this group, would probably like the opportunity to give the EAA some feedback on AirVenture.

Here is a survey put out by the EAA.

Please leave your comments on the survey, not on this thread.

Last edited:
Actually, a pretty thorough survey.

BTW - I asked for an RV tent for owners, builders and wannabes to congregate, rest, talk etc. Actually, I expanded the suggestion to offer low cost venues like this so type groups could get together.

Better food, more small aviation vendors, less pots/pans/foot massages, better food.

Everything else GREAT.

George, OSH#16

I put my 2 cents worth in... get rid of about half of the speeding scooters and golf carts racing around the grounds and Bring Back Team AeroDynamix!

And a new shower house / restrooms for HBC like the one in N40..

Last edited:
I did comment on the hordes of EAA folk in golf carts nearly running us over repeatedly, while trams & buses would only get us within about 1/4 mile from where we parked.

And yeah, I was getting a little tired of getting accosted by the dozen or so electro back massager outfits. EAA ought to stuff them all into one corner of one hangar and let 'em duke it out.

My only real complaint this year were the "Gate Nazi's", as they were referred to while I was at registration. The bag searches were a little over the top...IMO. The food has gotten better over the years.

I took it and am impressed that EAA is asking this level of questions and giving us the opportunity to give the level of answers we are. Like the above posters, I gave them the changes I would like to see and the things I really don't like. Hopefully EAA will listen and respond. I have a feeling the new management will, been impressed with them so far.

TeamAerodynamix

This years air show was LAMEO compared to last year. These guys knocked it out of the park. The night show was awesome.

TELL EAA TO BRING THEM BACK.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting the link. It was quite in depth. I took the opportunity to provide feedback on my list of 4-5 gripes.

Regards,

Suggested a camping area for builders near the HBC with the goal to have more social interaction between the builders on the campingground.

This year was my first time, but I was surprised at how tall the grass was. We got there on Sun and it was already several inches tall. By Thursday I was reminded of Patagonian Pampas. It was taking a lot of power to taxi which was causing its own problems.
Unless there is some factor I am missing, I think they should scalp the lawns down nice and low right before the arrivals.

As a camper I didn't care, but sitting with my airplane there were several folks who were interested in seeing as many of a particular model of aircraft as they could that mentioned how nice it would be if they were more congregated by type rather than intermingled hither and yon. I know it would be impossible to keep type purity, but they should have a pretty good idea from year to year how many of various types typically show up and set up rows to attempt to keep like models roughly together.

One last gripe while I'm on a roll. Sitting at the aircraft and watching the airshows was nice, but the dad gum tour helicopter made it impossible to hear the show announcer half the time. During mandatory nap time I had reoccurring dreams of a shot gun if not a shoulder fired missile.

All in all though, it was a great experience for this first timer. Wifey and I both developed a taste for Wisconsin Cheese Curds which neither of us had heard of and initially sounded disgusting.

Last edited:
Hope you filled out a survey

This year was my first time, but I was surprised at how tall the grass was. We got there on Sun and it was already several inches tall. By Thursday I was reminded of Patagonian Pampas. It was taking a lot of power to taxi which was causing its own problems.
Unless there is some factor I am missing, I think they should scalp the lawns down nice and low right before the arrivals.

As a camper I didn't care, but sitting with my airplane there were several folks who were interested in seeing as many of a particular model of aircraft as they could that mentioned how nice it would be if they were more congregated by type rather than intermingled hither and yon. I know it would be impossible to keep type purity, but they should have a pretty good idea from year to year how many of various types typically show up and set up rows to attempt to keep like models roughly together.

One last gripe while I'm on a roll. Sitting at the aircraft and watching the airshows was nice, but the dad gum tour helicopter made it impossible to hear the show announcer half the time. During mandatory nap time I had reoccurring dreams of a shot gun if not a shoulder fired missile.

All in all though, it was a great experience for this first timer. Wifey and I both developed a taste for Wisconsin Cheese Curds which neither of us had heard of and initially sounded disgusting.

Everyone .

No matter what your comments are .... good, bad or ugly, please fill out the survey.

They ARE reviewed!!!

Hopefully we will do more of the good, less of the bad, fix the ugly and add some of the missing. But we need to hear from members/attendees.

James

You didn't specifically mention, but I assume your were in homebuilt camping? If so, understand that they (and I'm one of them) do endeavor to keep like types together as much as possible. It's not as easy as you might think, and given that we have very limited space to work with (we came awfully close to filling up this year) that makes it even harder to designate areas for each type.

Plus, this year we rolled out a new procedure (see this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114699) that made the task of keeping like types together even more difficult.

We do keep data on how many of which type show up, but it's more fluid than you think. Particularly on anniversary years the numbers get thrown way off. For example- this being the 50th anniversary of the Breezy, we had 13 show up, which is about 10 more than we normally get. Yes we did put them all together, right by the brown arch. Next year will be some other type's turn to be at the arch.

If anyone is looking for a particular type, they can always stop in at Homebuilt HQ and inquire, and find out if any have registered and what rows they are parked in.

Jeff,

What are you going to do for Van's 40th? There won't be enough room on the field for any other type!

New procedure needs work

Plus, this year we rolled out a new procedure (see this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114699) that made the task of keeping like types together even more difficult.

I appreciate all the hard work of the volunteers but the new procedure was non-existent when we came in Sunday around 1pm. In fact, there were large areas that were wide open that we would have liked but were told they were reserved.

We got parked in the second to last row even though there was lots of space that was closer

Cry? Panic? Find someone to take my job before then?

I'm open to suggestions.

Neal beat me to it- '12 was a banner year, this year we got within 10% of it but it will be a couple years before we see 500 again. In five years, given current growth rates, 500 will be the new norm.

but the new procedure was non-existent when we came in Sunday around 1pm. In fact, there were large areas that were wide open that we would have liked but were told they were reserved.
See post #26 in the other thread. We pulled the plug on this about noon Sunday, so you just missed it. The empty areas you passed were probably one of several- 1) wider rows that we designate for really big stuff (think Murphy Moose with their 75 foot wing spans), 2) areas right off the paved taxiway, which we try to save for the really heavy stuff (freshly fueled Defiants and Lancair 4-P types) and 3) areas that might look good but tend to flood pretty easily with sufficient rain.

Sorry if you didn't get the parking spot you wanted, but hopefully this helps make some sense of why.

Golf Carts

It was a great show.
I did make a note on golf carts this year. Way too many driving around.

If you were in WWII you get a golf cart, everyone else walks!:)

I completed the survey and like many, my main gripe was the golf carts. Oh, and the port-a-pot Doors slamming all hours of the night. :)

Geez, I just realized I'm getting old.

Back