What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plasma II +

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Is there an "easy" way to check the timing on a Plasma II+ using the HAll effect module attached at the Mag pad? The instructions provide a positioning procedure for initially installing the unit on the pad. Also suggest a induction timing lite to check the timing at 25 deg with engine under load.

Can the little green lite either "off or on" as the prop is pulled thru 25 provide some assurance that the 25 deg setting is still good ? Mine seems to flash at around 10. Aside from pulling the unit off and resetting the mechanical position or pulling the MAP line and running the engine at load with a timing lite is all I come up with.

Actually the green light should just come on at No. 1 cylinder top dead center. The 25 degree nominal advance is built into the unit. The check with a timing light is a first time confirmation of proper operation and should indicate at idle as below:

From the manual:
Engines Normally Timed at 25 degrees BTDC -These are usually engines with compression ratios less than 8.7:1.
- At idle the timing display should indicate 40 deg ? 2 deg when the manifold pressure hose is connected and 21 deg ? 2deg when disconnected.

You must set the timing to 0 degrees. The engine will start at 0 degrees, the timing will advance at around 600 ~ 800 RPM. If you set the timing to 25 degrees and the EI advances another 25 degrees you'll be flying dead stick. I knew a guy that did just that. Read the instructions wrong, set the timing at 25 degrees, took off and grenade'd the engine half way downwind.

Thanks Dave, I remember now that the lite is on as approachTDC on # 1 then the lite goes off AT TDC. This is i believe where you lock the unit down. and the electronics takes career of the 25 BTDC . Thanks

Last edited:
Back