What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WTB Parachute

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
WTB backpack style emergency parachute. Currently have one mini softie, but am open to others.

Parachute

Jim, I've got one I might/maybe want to sell. Truth in advertising---I say might/maybe, because its too thick for me in an RV 8. If i wasn't for that, I wouldn't want to part with it. I see you've got a 6, so I'm guessing you'd be fine. Its a Strong brand, its red, and it was manufactured in 2004. Chutes have a 20 year life span, so you'd have 8 years left on it. Repacked in December. I'm up in LZU, and fly down to Mallard's every now and then. Vic S. does my maintenance.

Give me a buzz if you're interested.

Don
H 770 205 2454
C 404 550 2163

Jim, I've got one I might/maybe want to sell. Truth in advertising---I say might/maybe, because its too thick for me in an RV 8. If i wasn't for that, I wouldn't want to part with it. I see you've got a 6, so I'm guessing you'd be fine. Its a Strong brand, its red, and it was manufactured in 2004. Chutes have a 20 year life span, so you'd have 8 years left on it. Repacked in December. I'm up in LZU, and fly down to Mallard's every now and then. Vic S. does my maintenance.

Give me a buzz if you're interested.

Don
H 770 205 2454
C 404 550 2163

FYI:
There is an urban legend out there that states that a parachute has a service life of 20 years. THERE IS NO BASIS IN FACT FOR THIS. Recently, the United States Parachute Association requested clarification on this matter from the FAA. On August 21, 2012 the FAA replied. The FAA stated that any parachute certified under standards TSO- C23b, TSO C-23c and TSO C-23d did not have a maximum service life. Continued service life of any given parachute unit is to be established by a certificated parachute rigger at the time of inspection and repack of the parachute. Some parachute riggers may refuse to recertify your parachute simply because of its age.

Many riggers won?t repack rigs that are from the mid-80's and earlier because of their design and/or materials, not because of their age. Rigs built since the late 80's are almost identical (functionally and materially) to rigs being built today. If you purchase a rig in good condition that is up to 25 years old, it will probably still be serviceable for many more years, as it's design is still the same as ones being made today.

Ron is certianly correct.
To add; Some other countries require a service life on parachutes and their rigs. So some manufactures that sell international choose to give their equipment the same service life (I.E., 20 years) in all countries including the USA. This I have heard is for consistent global policy and because of assumed liability of the manufacture.

So a cautious rigger will follow the manufacture service life or he/she would be assuming all liability in the case of failed operation. For a $50 service I can't blame them to refuse re-packing and certifying an old 'chute.

Ask your rigger before buying too old of a rig would be my humble opinion.

Don is taking the fair and honest path in selling his rig rather than overselling its life.

Last edited:
FYI:
There is an urban legend out there that states that a parachute has a service life of 20 years. THERE IS NO BASIS IN FACT FOR THIS. Recently, the United States Parachute Association requested clarification on this matter from the FAA. On August 21, 2012 the FAA replied. The FAA stated that any parachute certified under standards TSO- C23b, TSO C-23c and TSO C-23d did not have a maximum service life. Continued service life of any given parachute unit is to be established by a certificated parachute rigger at the time of inspection and repack of the parachute. Some parachute riggers may refuse to recertify your parachute simply because of its age.

Many riggers won?t repack rigs that are from the mid-80's and earlier because of their design and/or materials, not because of their age. Rigs built since the late 80's are almost identical (functionally and materially) to rigs being built today. If you purchase a rig in good condition that is up to 25 years old, it will probably still be serviceable for many more years, as it's design is still the same as ones being made today.

Hi Ron, I am not discounting what you say. I got the info from my pararigger. Here's what he said. A parachute could be fine after 20 years, BUT, its made of material. Material can rot tear, just get old. As a pararigger, he would have to go over every square inch of the chute and lines with a microscope just to make sure there was no tears or weakness anywhere that might rip should you use your chute.

Call The Manufacturer

They are in the best position to give you an idea of the service life. Most of the manufactures provide a comprehensive repack, repair, and if applicable can perform maintenance that may extend the useful life.

Hi Ron, I am not discounting what you say. I got the info from my pararigger. Here's what he said. A parachute could be fine after 20 years, BUT, its made of material. Material can rot tear, just get old. As a pararigger, he would have to go over every square inch of the chute and lines with a microscope just to make sure there was no tears or weakness anywhere that might rip should you use your chute.

You are correct. However, a new canopy can be ruined in a matter of weeks if exposed to moisture and improperly stored. So, again, the age of a chute is no determination of it's condition. "Continued service life of any given parachute unit is to be established by a certificated parachute rigger at the time of inspection and repack of the parachute."

You are correct. However, a new canopy can be ruined in a matter of weeks if exposed to moisture and improperly stored. So, again, the age of a chute is no determination of it's condition. "Continued service life of any given parachute unit is to be established by a certificated parachute rigger at the time of inspection and repack of the parachute."

I had previously purchased one that was about 20 yrs old and sent to the manufacturer for their inspection at the advice of my rigger. For about $100 (IIRC) they looked it over and blessed it. Worth a ton to me.

John

What parachute for an RV 8?

OK Ron, I just sold my too thick for an RV 8 parachute. You've got an 8 and a parachute. What's the thinnest skinniest parachute out there for an 8 that doesn't push you 3 1/2 inches forward? ( Would like to keep my knee caps if I actually had to bail out.):eek:

OK Ron, I just sold my too thick for an RV 8 parachute. You've got an 8 and a parachute. What's the thinnest skinniest parachute out there for an 8 that doesn't push you 3 1/2 inches forward? ( Would like to keep my knee caps if I actually had to bail out.):eek:

I fly an 8. I got a Mini-Softie which has a pack thickness of 2.25":

15" wide container is 2.25" thick x 15" wide x 23" long.

You can also get one wider and thinnner:

16" wide container is 2.00" thick x 16" wide x 23" long.

However that one is a little wide for the stock -8 seats.

I remove the back cushion when I wear the chute.

I have a Sofie Mini. Yes, it puts you forward of the normal position but I got used to the new position quickly.

A Good Resource for Emergency Parachutes And Information

Ralph Hatley
cell (503)449-7533
office (503)630-5867

Western Parachute Sales

29388 Se Heiple Rd
Eagle Creek, Oregon 97022

He handles several brands of parachutes and containers an understands the experimental and warbirds needs. There are many other good folks out there and Ralph is highly respected in the parachute industry.

Larosta

I have a "like brand new" Softie Micro

Hi all,

I have a "like brand new" Softie Micro for sale.

This chute looks brand new and works great in my RV-8.

Needs a re-pack.

New was $2495, asking $1900 o.bo.

Shipping extra.

2v3ljd4.jpg

14xcbif.jpg

16ay2cw.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Back