What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Truly Baffling: 47-07

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Issues/Observations (not necessarily in order):

1. Remove all the screws that are in the engine where the CB8-31 pins go in. They are hard to remove if put the baffle in place and you happen to leave one in place. Although it can be done.

1. 47-07 Figure 3--call out on the lower left. AT6-058X3/8X2 (trim to fit). That is bloody useful. It is a hard place to measure, but someone at Van's does have to have digital calipers. Or they could have trimmed to fit, then put the trim to fit measurement in the plans. Apparently not. So after guesstimating a bit long and 20+ minutes of filing, I finally got the little bugger to fit. My final measurement was 1 1/64". Can anyone else confirm this measurement? Needless to say I was a bit irritated by the whole fiasco--it was the second one of the day--#2 came first.

Someone cut the piece to 2", why not the exact measurement? Sure the gap for another engine might be different, but the plane was built for the IO-390.

2. Putting the screws in place that connect the back baffles together to bracket on the engine was sort of a nightmare for me. I had to pull off all the the other screws that held in the rear baffles. Then I had to use the back end of a drill bit of the appropriate size. I slid it thru the top nutplate and then thru the screw holes for the baffles. This allows me to get the bottom screw in place relatively easily. i was able to get the top screw in with only a bit of difficulty. All the other screws for the baffles went in without issue.

3. The nut from the hose clamp on the #3 oil return line bumps into the baffle when you try to put in the SS pins to hold the lower portion of the baffles together. The one that connects to the Aluminum line and not the engine. It is a PITA to unscrew with the baffle in place. Anyway, I rotated it so that I could tighten from the front. It was only off enough to keep the baffle away from the cylinder when tightened down. I guess I could have bent the tab to get it to work without moving the hose clamp. Maybe this is not an issue on the standard 390, but it is an issue on the IO-390. Anyone else experience this?

maybe this stuff needs to go into the gotchas section.

Back