The canopy is taped and thereís plastic on the interior. I used the same 4 mil plastic on the interior that Iíd used for the fairing. The outside plastic is the green cling wrap that AeroCanopy used to ship it. The yellow tape is one of the Frogtape line, for delicate surfaces. This taping is to let me trim the forming flange off the canopy. Wirejock, whoís ahead of me on his RV-7A project, recommended the tape.
I tried a Dremel diamond cut-off wheel. It gave a nice fine kerf but was terribly slow. Maybe I shouldnít have used it to cut aluminum earlier. Then I tried Dremelís cut-off disk and it was somewhat faster, but the ice cream in an ice cream cone would melt on a sub-zero day before that did the job. Next up was a cut-off disk in an air die grinder. That worked. Plus I got to listen to the air compressor the whole time. That Harbor Freight die grinder really gobbles the air.
Now I have these canopy flange cut-offs.
I lifted the canopy fairing off the fuselage and laid it on the canopy. This was an iterative process, since I had to reposition the canopy in its cradle. The canopy, unrestrained, is somewhat wider than the canopy frame that Vanís describes in the plans on Drawing 33. The cradle is cut to match that, but at the exterior surface. The plans shows how the sides of the canopy actually curve inward beyond the semi-circular, and with the canopy in the cradle, mine does too.
Once the canopy was properly positioned in the cradle, I put the fairing back on. Then came an hour of adjusting it this way and that, trying to align the two together.
Fore and aft was easier than I had expected. Lateral was a bit harder, and I'm not satisfied in roll yet. Iíll probably tweak it some before I mark the canopy for trimming.