Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2020, 03:04 PM

I guess if you don't have a lot of work in your area it might be better to go work with the FAA but then again that was back in 2011. Have you seen what they're charging now? A simple Private Pilot checkride is up to $600 in some areas and it's hard to schedule them because the DPEs are busy. Just a few tests a week pays the same as a full time job without the hassles. How much does a DAR inspection for an airworthiness certificate cost today?
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
I received my A&P license 2 years ago using experience from building an RV8 and RV10. Building hours can count for experience. I used my building logs which had date, work performed, and hours worked. EAA put out some guidance a few years back with the details, just google it. The first person at my FSDO said no, but to his credit asked around his office and another person signed me off who was more familiar with experimentals.

Same issue with the practical. Examiner said I was not qualified to take the test. After additional discussion with that FSDO (different than the first) and a conference call with EAA they grudgingly admitted I qualified.

So ultimately got both the A&P at the same time, though it was a lot of studying to get there. Would not have been possible without the King videos.

My advice, stay professional, know the regulations, have them in writing, and educate the FAA personnel as required. EAA is also a resource that can help.

Aaron
Your experience and mine demonstrate what has been already said, it’s a FSDO by FSDO decision. It shouldn’t be but it is. Glad your’s worked out for you.