Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Woodmanroger made a cool storage for his first RV6. The man is a true craftsman. He did several beautiful things for his airplane. He also manufactures wooden siffeners.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Battery box

I did use my old battery box as a tool box after I moved my battery to the firewall. I made a door in the front of the box which allows me to gain access from my seat. I do find it it quite a stretch to reach the box in its current position. If you decide to install one , if possible I would try to keep it a little closer to the spar and make it a little bigger if possible.
Dues Paid
Old 03-25-2020, 10:32 AM

Sorry don't do pictures, too set in my ways to learn how to.
If you take the picture of Vlad's battery box and extend two vertical aluminum walls back towards the spar you will get the general idea of what I did. Vlad's manual elev trim cable kind of infringes on the area I would use as storage, my planes are equipped with elect trim.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Multi purpose storage box

I built a carbon fiber box to hide my fuel pump/filter, cover a PC680 battery, provide some tool storage and glove box, and mount my O2 bottle. When I've got the bottle installed, I put my cannulae in there. If I don't need the bottle for a flight, I save 12 pounds and leave it behind. When baggage is heavily loaded, the bottle helps to keep the CG in limits.

I even put a little led light in there for glove box searching.

Ed Holyoke
Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 PM

Ed,

Thanks. I think what you show there is similar to what I was thinking, and may be like what Ralph was describing.

Hate to pepper with questions, but how tall is your box? If you had to do it over again, would you do it any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
I built a carbon fiber box to hide my fuel pump/filter, cover a PC680 battery, provide some tool storage and glove box, and mount my O2 bottle. When I've got the bottle installed, I put my cannulae in there. If I don't need the bottle for a flight, I save 12 pounds and leave it behind. When baggage is heavily loaded, the bottle helps to keep the CG in limits.

I even put a little led light in there for glove box searching.

Ed Holyoke
2020 Dues paid
Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
Ed,

Thanks. I think what you show there is similar to what I was thinking, and may be like what Ralph was describing.

Hate to pepper with questions, but how tall is your box? If you had to do it over again, would you do it any different?
Howdy,

I think it's about 9 or 10" tall. I sized it based on where my O2 bottle wanted to be, clear of the rudder pedal crossbars. Mine is slightly angled up coming aft from the firewall to put the o2 regulator in a better position for inflight access. If you're not putting a bottle on top of it, it could easily be taller. I have a battery on its side just behind the firewall. I put some of my tools in zipper bags with zip ties hanging out of them so that I can retrieve them when they are shoved all the way forward on top of the battery leaving room behind for more stuff. The assembly is about as wide as it could be which seemed a little restrictive for pilot/co-pilots' legs at first. I got used to it. It wound up that wide to cover the battery and allow for the fuel line and return from purge valve to the firewall. Try mocking it up a little narrower and see if it meets your needs. I made it out of sheets of carbon fiber layed up over some hex core material and vacuum bagged on a flat bench. Once I had the material, I basically just treated it like sheet metal. I put it all together with hinges so I can get in the maintain the battery and the fuel pump/filter assembly. I wound up removing the left side and installing a vertical hinge in it to make it easier to get to the fuel filter during my second annual.

Ed Holyoke
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM

Ed,

Thank you for the extra detail. Great to hear from a been-there-done-that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Howdy,

I think it's about 9 or 10" tall. I sized it based on where my O2 bottle wanted to be, clear of the rudder pedal crossbars. Mine is slightly angled up coming aft from the firewall to put the o2 regulator in a better position for inflight access. If you're not putting a bottle on top of it, it could easily be taller. I have a battery on its side just behind the firewall. I put some of my tools in zipper bags with zip ties hanging out of them so that I can retrieve them when they are shoved all the way forward on top of the battery leaving room behind for more stuff. The assembly is about as wide as it could be which seemed a little restrictive for pilot/co-pilots' legs at first. I got used to it. It wound up that wide to cover the battery and allow for the fuel line and return from purge valve to the firewall. Try mocking it up a little narrower and see if it meets your needs. I made it out of sheets of carbon fiber layed up over some hex core material and vacuum bagged on a flat bench. Once I had the material, I basically just treated it like sheet metal. I put it all together with hinges so I can get in the maintain the battery and the fuel pump/filter assembly. I wound up removing the left side and installing a vertical hinge in it to make it easier to get to the fuel filter during my second annual.

Ed Holyoke
2020 Dues paid