What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installed pitch servo - have a part left over

walkman

Well Known Member
I installed a GRT (really Tru Track) pitch servo in my -6 today. Installed it in the same place as the Tru Track Alt Track I just removed. Its basically the same setup, but a different servo.

Anyway, couldn't really find good installation instructions. Some mediocre drawings on the Tru Track site.

To build the push rod I installed: Rod End, washer, jam nut, rod, washer, jam nut, rod end.

On the servo arm I installed bolt, washer, servo arm, washer, rod end, washer nut.

On the control arm I installed bolt, washer, control arm, 2 large washers as a spacer, then a regular washer, rod end, washer, nut.

It all seems fine, smooth, nothing rubbing or fouling etc. I have a short piece of rod left, about 1/2" long listed as a spacer on the inventory.

I'm inclined to think it might be used in a different installation, can't figure out how to install it on mine. But, thought I'd check here.

In my installation, one of the bolts went through both flanges with an approximately 1" spacer holding the two flanges apart where the bolt went through and into the servo. Couple of different ways it could be mounted depending on model and location. You might not need it, but I agree, a photo of your installation would help. Lot's of guys have been there...

Lee...

I installed a GRT (really Tru Track) pitch servo in my -6 today. Installed it in the same place as the Tru Track Alt Track I just removed. Its basically the same setup, but a different servo.

While the GRT and Dynon servos both look identical they are not manufactured by us nor will they interface to any of our autopilots.

The assumption that GRT's servo's are really TruTrak's is incorrect. Dynon and GRT copied many of TT's physical features but they are not the same.

washers

Large diameter washers should be on the outside of each rod end to prevent separation in the event of failure of a rod end. These should have been supplied.
There should be a spacer or at least two small diameter washers between the bell crank and the rod end sufficeint to ensure that the rod clears the bell crank as it rotates, hard to tell from the picture.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

And the bolts holding the servo to the mount should be safety wired.

Last edited:
In addition to all of the above post, the spacer may be required to properly align the servo arm with the bellcrank arm. I also see that you are using drilled AN hardware with AN365 elastic stop nuts. The proper bolt would be a -A designation and would be un-drilled for that type of bolt.

Back