What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curved WD655 Rudder pedal tube

seattleworm

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just installed the rudder assembly to the fuselage. The fit is good, rudder pedal movement is smooth. However, when I clamped the center support bracket and fit in center bearing block, the block would slide on the bracket when the rudder pedals are rotated. This is due to the rudder tube is not perfectly straight. The curved tube would cause maximum movement of about 3/32" at the center bearing block (will be less for rudder operation range). A quick calculation showed the maximum force on the block due to the 3/32" deflection is about 10lbs, nothing to worry about stresswise.

My concern is smoothness of rudder operation. Anybody have observed this much of momvent at center bearing block? Will this result in a "sticky" rudder? I could find out later, but I don't want to find it the hard way after all the holes on the center bracket are drilled.

I noticed the same thing - the rudder tube was not quite true, and would bind in the bearings when rotated. The solution was to apply pressure on the tube as required to true it. A straight edge showed where the bend was, and I used blocks and clamps as with the slider canopy frame to straighten it.
Bill Brooks
RV-6A finishing kit

Curved Rudder peddle tube

Make sure you have put the end bearings on the correct side. There is a left and right even though they are not called left and right. Take a look at drawing 37. It shows the F-6116 side rudder pedal bearings. The pre-machined holes are at a slight angle. This is to account for the slight taper in the forward fuselage. when you install them you need to have the taper correct thus you end up with a left and right.

Back