What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston to Seattle

vasrv7a

Well Known Member
Would like, and would appreciate route suggestions for a late August trip from Houston to Seattle and back in my RV-7A...

Thanx.

Victor

Are you looking for fastest/safest route, or are you looking for some sight-seeing opportunities?

If you're sightseeing, take a look at 1Z1 located inside the rim of the Grand Canyon for a great B&B at the Bar Ten Ranch (room, steak dinner and huge breakfast = $110/person), then a stop at L06 Death Valley Airport. Plan for a stop at KUAO Aurora Airport for a tour of Van's Aircraft Factory.:D:D:D

You can see my trip write-up for Bar Ten here.

For the return flight, consider flying from Seattle to KJER for cheap gas, then fly down the Wasatch Front (mountain range directly east of Salt Lake City), and then over to Leadville KLSV. Leadville being the highest elevation General Aviation airport in North America, Death Valley being the lowest elevation. Leadville has a couple of Jeeps for airport courtesy cars (keys in the usual location - out in plain site), and there's a great variety of restaraunts just a few miles up the road in town.

Last edited:
Scott,

Thanx for the good info... as a flatlander who will be flying west for the first time (with spouse & luggage... and near max GW), I kind of think I should look for a route that minimizes my exposure to mountainous areas as much as possible. We have a family function in Seattle on 8/25, and expected stops en route are likely to include Las Vegas & San Francisco... I am concerned that August heat will require flying as early in the day as possible avoiding convective activity as much as possible, hence limiting my flying hours per day while trying to arrive in Seattle on time. Therefore, I would be looking to fly the safest route for an inexperienced mountain pilot on the way to Seattle, and maybe if the weather cooperates, I can be more creative on the return.

Thanx.

Victor

The low route may be the Southern route.

Houston - El Paso - Tucson - W. of Phoenix - Blythe - Mojave Desert - Bakersfield - CA Central Valley - Freeway 5 through OR to Seattle

If done it several times both ways out of Tucson and it's the flattest and route with most civilization along it...:)

At late August you will be at the end of the monsoon season in AZ and NM so morning flights only...

You could work your way to the LA basin and up the through central California. You will have the Siskiyou range in Nothern California and the Cascades in Southern Oregon to cross but exposure is relatively limited compared to other routes through the west.
I prefer the Great Basin but it is quite remote with lot's of big mountains and lot's of desert. Much more direct however.
(typing while Gil, posted....what he said.....)

Albuquerque to Grants to Needles to Lancaster to Bakersfield then pick up Hyw 5 and follow it to your destination.

If you enter Calif. at Needles, you will miss all of the restricted areas.

Albuquerque to Grants to Needles to Lancaster to Bakersfield then pick up Hyw 5 and follow it to your destination.

this is a good route, I have flown it in the past.

when I would do dallas to seattle I would go dallas to texico, flagstaff, las vegas, reno, redmond, seattle. that route has only on leg that requires a minimum IFR above the O2 requirement level and there is a dog leg that for that leg that will keep you at 12,500 or below.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I've done portions of that route too.

But, if you start at Houston it's not much shorter (if at all, needs a great circle view to verify) than the El Paso route and certainly is across much higher and rugged territory. This assumes hitting S. CA at Bakersfield.

The most rugged part of the El Paso route is from Ft. Stockton to El Paso across W. TX, but the ground is not that high.

No worries

I wouldn't worry about the mountains in a 7A, especially if you have oxygen. I've flown directly over the Rockies a couple of times, the first time on the way back to Oregon from Michigan after buying my -7, then to and from Oshkosh a year later. Your RV will happily climb to 14500' or higher giving you plenty of clearance over the mountains. It can get pretty bumpy later in the day, which for me is mainly a concern for my wife's comfort level. Thunderstorms do tend to develop later in the day as well. Density altitude is a factor at some fields, but again my experience with an RV even at gross has still never been a big issue, and that's without a lot of hours (now over 300, but only about 180 when I bought the RV). Teton Pass is spectacular, and flying by the Cascade volcanoes is awesome!

If you want to be close to downtown, Aeroflight at BFI is great and has taken very good care of me and my RV. The Seattle airspace is pretty complex, but I've found the controllers very helpful and friendly, especially if you are on flight following as you approach the area. Expect to see lots of traffic! Have a great trip.

Seattle Flight

Hey Victor, I agree with Gil, on the central CA. route. My wife and I have done that one twice in the last month in our 9A from Central OR. to Phoenix, and the central CA. valley is much prettier then the route up through NV. unless you just like the brown of the desert. And it will keep you lower and clear of the big rocks if that is your goal, We did return through NV. on the first trip down, and maybe saved about 30 minutes off the flight time, so not a big deal. Also far more airports to land at in the central valley of CA then when you are out over the NV desert. So for scenery to keep the wife happy with greener vistas, and lower altitudes the CA route is a good one, from our recent experience. Enjoy the trip, the 7A will do it with ease which ever route you choose. And if you find yourself in the Central OR. area check in with us we are in the RV hotel listing.

Regards

Everyone!!

On behalf of my me and my wife... thank you all for the great information. :) Gil's route is probably our first choice, however should the weather permit, I will crank up the Oxygen and check out views from over the bigger hills. We'll then see if the ipad performs above 10,000ft...:rolleyes:

Thanx again... everyone's great advice is much appreciated.

Victor

Route

Just before you leave take a look at the temperatures along the southern route, including nighttime lows. In late Aug the low temperature in western and southwestern AZ will be 100 degrees, with 115 typical by noon. If you are airborn at sunrise, you might get two legs before it gets so hot you won't want to get back in the airplane.

iPad

Mine worked fine at 15,500 ft.
Make sure you have a canopy cover if you are going to park outside in the heat.

Kent

We're doing a similar trip this Friday--+Sunday, all the way to Canada. Watch Card TV to find out the details.

I learned to fly out of SLC only flying 152's, 172's, Archers and Arrows. Peaks are at 12k, but the front runs N/S with the valley elevation at 4-5k feet. You will have no problem in an RV, even without O2 unless you are planning on flying IFR. If you are flying IFR, there are many routes that keep you below 12k, but it is highly restrictive. To truly fly IFR around the Wasatch front you need O2 for the MSA's around 14-15k.

It is beautiful country, I would definitely recommend flying up from the Grand Canyon over Lake Powell, Moab, Bryce Canyon, and up the Wasatch Front.

Have Fun!

Typically I visualize a straight line ...

Typically I visualize a straight line and take the Jeppesen Lo 1 &2 flight planning chart which can be bought on the internet for around $7 from www.mypilotstore.com and look for the closest conforming route with no dash lines (no supplemental oxygen required). Then I take the appropriate FAA IFR charts (I buy mine from Sporty's) and write up the flight plan with fuel stops at the available locations and range intervals. It is one of the most educational and satisfying parts of any trip. Last week I did that from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Ephrata, Washington and found a new way for me that is through the northwestern mountains via fuel stops at Goodland, Kansas, Sheridan, Wyoming and Missoula, Montana. Awesome scenery, totally different than the typical "California" routes north.

Bob Axsom

If you're looking to avoid mountains and high temps, take the coast - I've done it several times - Oxnard - Monterey -Crescent City - Newport - Astoria - Boeing Field. No O2 required! Scenery ain't too shabby neither....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Back