What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X

infltc2s

Working on the design on my panel and electrical system. Right now I have planned 3 Garmin G3X screens, GMA 347 Audio Panel, GTN 750 GPS/Nav/Com,
SL-30 Nav/Com, and the Tru-Trak Sorcerer A/P, HID Landing Lights, all other light are LED, also defrost blower and Air Flow A/C system.
So here is my question:
Are many people using the VP-X pro system and are you happy with it. Is it reliable? Any known issues?

Questions

Somebody will ask so I'll do it. How far along are you on your build? I know it is fun to plan but things change dramatically. I would wait until you are less than a year from flying then plan the panel. Just a comment as well, the Sorcerer is serious overkill.

I'm putting a VP-X in my new plane. It will meet all of my needs fine. Dual screen 5500's, G750 and more. I know several flying with it with no issues.
Only a few months out.

I know someone in France who's installed a VP-X and is very happy about it.
Saves a lot of time and a bit of weight in the wiring.
I was planning a VP-X as well, but as RV7Guy wrote I'm waiting before ordering anything for my panel/electrical system as these products change very rapidly. For example I saw the VP400 from vertical power not long ago http://verticalpower.com/vp-400/
My only concern is... $8,000 :eek: I may stick with the VP-X and dual Skyviews

Last edited:
I sprung for a Sport model. Maybe I should drive up to Columbus and borrow the terminal crimper you used Bob before I call Marc and rent one. :) Wait - I'd spend more in gas than two months rent.

I agree avionics does change all the time but even though the equipment may change the requirements will be the same. Just want to have a solid general plan how this build will go and would like to use the vp system. Last week a mechanic told me not to use it because of problems so just wanted to see what was the reality was out in the field. I started on a -8 couple of years ago and the wife talked me it to a side by side. She "says" she would like to learn to fly so I sold the 8 and getting ready to start on the 7.

I'm not flying yet, but I do have all my electronics installed and checked out. I have to say that little red VP-X box might be my favorite thing I put in (or behind) my panel.

The wiring logic made a ton of sense to me and the thing just worked. It might be the only thing in my plane that I did not have to tinker with. I just hooked everything up and it works. Enable the flaps in the VP-X configurator and they instantly appear on my G3X screens and work.

Not sure about everyone, but at this stage in the build I really like things that work with out having to mess with them.

Jason

Sorcerer?

I don't tink you need the sorcerer if you couple your ap with the g3x. You can probably save a couple$$$
You can go with a cheaper version of tt done for the g3x

Lan vinh do

a thumbs up

I've got the VP-X Pro, not yet installed or powered up.
The attraction for me was the excellent documentation and planning tools on the website, and the integration with the G3X.
A happy plus has been the excellent and quick support and assistance from Vertical Power with all my questions as I'm designing the panel and electrical architecture.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

I don't tink you need the sorcerer if you couple your ap with the g3x. You can probably save a couple$$$
You can go with a cheaper version of tt done for the g3x

Lan vinh do

I was going to say the same thing. The GX is designed to integrate with the G3X. The money you save will buy a LOT of AVGAS.

Back