What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fitting the cowling

bird

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I am working on my finishing kit now. I am hoping to get my plane nearly complete before buying my engine and prop. Does anyone have an old engine case and crank that I could use/borrow. I am putting in a standard 0-360 a1a. If I could borrow or find an old engine case and crank I would use it to fit my cowling. If I understand the plans correctly I should be able to do this. Any one who has one laying around please contact me and we could work out the details...I would be happy to pay shipping and such. Has anyone done this before? Thanks in advance.

bird

Well Jeff

No feedback at all yet. I'm looking around locally too. Let me know if you find anything! It would be nice to have one to share with other builders as each of us get finished with it.

bird

Great idea

Bird,
Great idea. My local RV guru told me how his $13,500 [1997] sat for 2 years [dead money] on the front of his RV-4 while he finished it. He suggested I build up a "mock up" engine to allow installation of all the FWF stuff, without tying up all that cash. I managed to scrounge up all the parts for an engine [I wanted the weight to be correct for proper motor mount sag]. Some parts were donated by friends. The rest I got for free from the local engine over-hauler [Certified Engines] here in SE Florida.\
I simply stopped by their shop from time to time to see what they had in "red tagged" parts. I explained what I wanted the parts for during my first visit, so that they understood that I had no delusions of installing those parts on a functional engine. Remember, your local engine shop has to worry about liability. Explain why you need the parts, and they will be more helpful.
Good luck
Charlie

This sounds like an opportunity for someone to create a fixture that attaches to the engine mount and has a dummy crankshaft and flange at the other end. Make the product out of PVC (or whatever) and sell 'em to builders who'd like to defer the $20-45k engine expense, but still install the cowl.

Precision Airmotive

advertises "we now have exact replica mockups of parallel valve o/io-360 engines for sale. They're made of molded plastic resin, so they weigh just 25 pounds and the price is $900. The advantage to you the aircraft builder is that you can build your airbox and baffling; position your wiring, fuel lines, and other components; and make other modifications before spending thousands of dollars on your real engine. Also, it's far easier to manipulate a 25-pound plastic mockup engine than a real one which can weigh upwards of three hundred pounds."

On the other hand, engine prices seem to be continuing to go the wrong way.

Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Back