What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Cylinders

CODon

Getting ready to rebuild an O-360 A1D. Leaning toward new lycoming cylinders, but wanted to see if I should further consider ECI or Superior. Any suggestions on any of the many suppliers? Thanks in advance.

Lycoming

Don, I bought new Lyc cylinders for my 6 and have close to 800 hours on them. It is uncanny how close cylinder pressures are to each other. They are all 74/80 to 76/80. Hopefully see you on Fri. Weather is looking very promising.

Steve

I have an 0-360 Superior based engine with ECI cylinders at the suggestion of one of the very well respected engine builders often mentioned on this site. The recommendation was based on excellent experience with the corrosion resistant finish on the ECI cylinders.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

Lycoming is a good choice. Superior and ECi are also good choices.

I have Lycoming nitrided cylinders on my Cherokee - they've done well and have been (knock on wood) trouble free.

I have ECi nickel carbide cylinders on my RV - the rings seated almost instantly and these also have been excellent jugs. I would add that I originally had 4 group "B" cylinders that had to be replaced, and, for me, ECi did a very good job with warranty support.

I think all three can offer pretty good quality - you might look into the differences (nitride vs through hardening vs nickel carbide) and see what approach you feel the best about.

For me, if I were overhauling one of my engines, as good as the experience has been with Lycoming, I'd give some serious thought to ECi.

Dan

You might want to consider rebuilding your cylinders.
A lot of the time they are still in great shape, just needing a freshening up.
When you have the engine pulled down, check them out and get a quote.
I have an O-470 with at least one .015" (fifteen thou) overbored cylinder.
It runs fine. That cylinder must have thousands of hours on it, if it made any normal number of hours between overhauls, and an initial overbore to .005 on the second overhaul etc. etc.
Those cylinders you have aren't just used, they are also 'proofed'. After all, they made it this far, right?
Also, exchange cylinders are a choice. There is a whole industry involved in reconditioning parts, and you plan to recondition your cases and crank right??

I ran Superior cylinders 2,200 hours. Sent out for inspection and all new parts if inspection was good. After 11-hours, they were scrap and engine outfit would NOT stand behind them.

Purchased 4 new ECI STEEL cylinders from AERO before they dropped ECI.

ECI Steel barrel cylinders with 9:1 pistons do not use any oil between oil changes. (40 to 45 hours). I now have about 400 hours on them.

My advise is stay away from overhauled cylinders. New is only about 15% more money and the three major parts manufacturers will stand behind them.

Back