VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM

Default Soft Spot Plenum Lid

RV-8 builders know stuffing an angle valve Lycoming into an RV-8 cowl results in very tight engine to cowl clearance above the front cylinder corners, and down the left side. It gets worse with a plenum lid, a classic case of stuffing six pounds of stuff in five pound sack.

My plenum lid has routinely bumped the inside of the upper cowl. If I look close, I can see some fine spiderweb cracks in the cowling clear coat, so if allowed to continue surely it will develop an ugly spot. In recent times it has not been bumping so much, but that was because the mount isolators were sagging. With new isolators, it was time to fix the bumping.

The problem spot, both sides:

For a first cut, I simply sanded a big flat spot on the lid and glassed it over, in an attempt to lower the height of the lid in the contact area. It wasn't enough to truly cure the problem, so I decided to try an experiment...plenum soft spots.

We've had past conversations about soft membrane lids and similar. These are partials. They are made from two plies of 9 oz plain weave fiberglass cloth, with rolled-in Permatex Ultra Black (Loctite 598) silicone sealant to fill the weave. Process is like the cylinder seal wraps; roll in the silicone between two sheets of 4 mil plastic, cut to shape right through the plastic, peel one side, stick into place, allow cure and peel the other plastic sheet.

Here the forward edge and outboard edge of each soft panel is clamped under fastener strips. The inboard and rear edges are simply 2" overlaps of the plenum glass, and rely entirely on the shear strength of the sealant (which for UB/598 is quite good).

The soft inlet ducts are now at 850 hours and 8 years. They are still doing fine. It's a similar fabrication, a single ply of 9 oz and room temp cure urethane rubber. I'll see how the silicone soft spots hold up, and if generally satisfactory, I may replace them with urethane panels. A very future mod might be to make new inlet ducts with a considerable extension rearward, i.e. make the soft inlet and the soft panel as one piece.

More later.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Default Thanks

Dan,
Thanks for pointing out this problem and actually showing a FIX.
I know you have a 0-390.......but this problem exists even in a 0-360 with vans baffeling. Well may not be exactly the same but......
This was one of many issues that urged me to convert to a James plenum and Cowling. Paying attention to the "corners" in the install. Fixed my issue.
So far anyway....
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB

Last edited by Bob Martin : 02-18-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Curious why you're using fiberglass. In my opinion, it's an obsolete material.
Kevlar would be a better choice in this case. Just an uninvited ombudsman's opinion.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:59 PM

The Five Rules for Good Engineering are:

1. Part of the art of being a good engineer is knowing where to steal good ideas.

2. Get it good enough and get on with it.

3. The best way to solve an engineering problem is to guess the right answer.

4. Any **** fool can figure out another way to do it; i.e., the first solution to a problem is often entirely adequate.

5. If you can't fix it, feature it. There's always a way to market the problem as a benefit.

--- written by Mark Drela.

Seems to me that Dan has hit number two pretty well.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 02-19-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Thanks Dan!

I've been using glass impregnated with black RTV for the RV-8 ducts as you taught us, and also have used it to seal the corners of the flap seal on my 9-A. It's in contact with the upper cowl continuously, and neither the RTV or upper cowl show any abrasion damage after 300 hours.

Now if I could just move on with your cut-and-buff tutorial!

Roger
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Curious why you're using fiberglass. In my opinion, it's an obsolete material.
Kevlar would be a better choice in this case. Just an uninvited ombudsman's opinion.
It would be a better choice, technical speaking. On the other hand, (1) the fiberglass is hanging in there pretty well in the duct application, and (2) I'm too cheap to buy the special scissors which will actually cut kevlar.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Dan, you're the only guy I know with plenum featuring a finish as fine as the outside of your plane... Nice

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 433.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM

From an uneducated, what are the benefits of Kevlar vs fiberglass? and to add to the mix, where does carbon fiber fit (or not) in this specific discussion?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
From an uneducated, what are the benefits of Kevlar vs fiberglass?
Bulletproof.

If you throw a rod...........

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
From an uneducated, what are the benefits of Kevlar vs fiberglass? and to add to the mix, where does carbon fiber fit (or not) in this specific discussion?
Fatigue resistance. Pretty sure they rank (best to worst) kevlar, glass, carbon. I'm too lazy to look up the numbers. If the membrane would be subject to a lot of flexing, it might be worth consideration. Here? Naaa.