What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Meeting the neighbors

bret

Well Known Member
It is amazing who stops by, gets out of their car and says HI! When you have an airplane in your driveway. Been on this street for years and just met the neiborhood this weekend while rigging the wings and emp.
66fcdc76be25e339c88a37c9f07bb6f6_zps0712815f.jpg

What a beautiful aircraft! You would be amazed at the people I have met over the years by just having something aviation in the driveway. My favorite pastime used to be riding the motorcycle to the airport on the weekends and anyone who had a hangar door open I would stop and talk to. What a great bunch of people you meet. Unfortunately out in Denver, Co, this doesn't happen as often. I was at the airport all day Saturday helping a fellow EAA'er with his Lancair and the airport was "quite" other than the turbine guys. I miss meeting local passionate aviation people along with riding out to the airport and seeing the 65 horse Champs flying at dusk on the weekends.

Bret,
I live on a corner with a stop sign in my subdivision. I caused many small "trafffic snarls" with people stopping for a long time to look. Also fielded these questions, "Is that an airplane?" and "Are you going to fly that?" I also met a bunch of people that stopped in for a look. I even inspired one guy to start flying. He recently finished his PPL and stopped by just to tell me that I was his inpiration to get his license. I told him now he needs to start building!
Everyone who saw it while being built now asks me " how does it fly" as they walk by and see me outside. I always tell them better than in my dreams! Keep pounding rivets! :)

Ha! I had a lot of the "are you going to fly that?" questions during my build. I always said that if I wasn't going to fly it I was spending a lot of time and money for nothing.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying

The same but different..

For the 2 and half years or so that my project was visible to the public in my garage, I never had anyone just wandering by stop and ask me what I was doing. Then this Fall, after I moved it to the airport, while raking leaves in the yard with a clearly empty gargage in plain sight, I had at least 5 different folks to whom I'd never spoken to before stop me in the yard and ask what had I been working on and what had I done with it. I guess the sounds of tools working and me cussing was enough to keep the curious at bay. :D

I must be unaprochable

I have had mine in my garage for 6 months now, and have not had 1 person come up to me and ask my about it. Even parents dropping kids by for birthday parties have not even asked about it.

I had figgured I would meet a lot of neighbors that way, none so far. Maybe when I pull it out for the wing test fit.

I have had mine in my garage for 6 months now, and have not had 1 person come up to me and ask my about it. Even parents dropping kids by for birthday parties have not even asked about it.

I had figgured I would meet a lot of neighbors that way, none so far. Maybe when I pull it out for the wing test fit.

I built my Sonex in my garage over a two year period. Hundreds of times the garage door was open, and dozens of times the plane was in the driveway. Except for my good friend and neighbor, not a single soul stopped. And I lived in a busy development so there was neighborly traffic by quite often.

I never could figure it out...

Last edited:
During my garage days people on the sidewalk would look but not approach, unless I waived to them and said "hi". Then they all came closer to see what the heck I was doing.

I've had a couple of people walking through the neighborhood ask about it when I was out there with the garage door up. Right now we have remodeling contractors in and out all the time, and some of them (especially the electrician) have been pretty interested.

I can only imagine what will happen when I've got it outside to fit the wings and tail. That should be interesting.

I built my Sonex in my garage over a two year period. Hundreds of times the garage door was open, and dozens of times the plane was in the driveway. Except for my good friend and neighbor, not a single sole stopped. And I lived in a busy development so there was neighborly traffic by quite often.

I never could figure it out...

Its because you didn't build an RV :D

Bret it's a thing of beauty with those painted wings. The wings attracted the neighbors for sure. :)

When I was plugging my wings in, a gent of age from the other block came to see his spy kids blew the whistle. Hi he said. I am a carpenter and I am not easily impressed. But I can tell you now son I am impressed. What is it?

Made my day and it was Saturday. I continued with wings on Sunday. A mayor hopeful and Co. was walking the parish distributing leaflets. Introduced himself, handed a booklet and left. Not a question about riveting. He lost elections :D

RV Flyover

When I had my project out to fit the wings, a neighbor stopped by and asked what it was. As I was explaining, conveniently an RV flew right over my house at about 1000' AGL. Saved a lot of explaining. My house was just between PDX and HIO airspace below the PDX floor, so a major GA corridor.

Now I'm on the West Seattle approach to BFI, but with no room for a build. Guess I keep flying the one I bought.

What a beautiful aircraft! You would be amazed at the people I have met over the years by just having something aviation in the driveway. What a great bunch of people you meet. Unfortunately out in Denver, Co, this doesn't happen as often. I was at the airport all day Saturday helping a fellow EAA'er with his Lancair and the airport was "quite" other than the turbine guys. I miss meeting local passionate aviation people along with riding out to the airport and seeing the 65 horse Champs flying at dusk on the weekends.

Patrick,

Don't know what part of Denver you are in, or what field, but that is not the way it is in my neighborhood. When I was in the garage phase, I met all the neighbors. All the girls would stop in on their way home from school. Interestingly, the boys would stop only if I invited them in. I was at KAPA all day Saturday and had several people stop by.

Jim Berry
RV-10

So, just the girls stopped by, Jim? HaHa! Hey, I was one of those guys that came by and saw your plane not long ago. The weather is getting nice - time for you to head over the hill. Lunch on me!

Bret - I bet it was quite a thrill for you to put those wings on the first time. Having it all painted for the first flight is great!

Patrick,

Don't know what part of Denver you are in, or what field, but that is not the way it is in my neighborhood. When I was in the garage phase, I met all the neighbors. All the girls would stop in on their way home from school. Interestingly, the boys would stop only if I invited them in. I was at KAPA all day Saturday and had several people stop by.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I have often had my garage door open on nice days with people walking or driving by, and very few give more than a passing glance. People don't realize what they're looking at. An airplane in a garage is the last thing on their mind. The few who recognize it for what it is are filled with disbelief. But when I set it up out in the driveway to mate the wings (I don't have room inside for the wingspan), it was a whole different story! Lots of people who were walking by, on bicycles, or driving, took a double-take and came back with eyes wide open, expressing everything from dumbfounded awe to wonderful compliments. Here's a shot from that day back in 2010 when I had the wings on in the driveway. What an experiece that was!

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

Then, just this last Friday afternoon, It was an unseasonably nice warm day. I pulled her out of the garage for some sweeping and spring cleaning of the shop. This time, she's on her gear and sporting her canopy, and the engine on the nose.

164233_10151384069954149_410539934_n.jpg

480809_10151384069964149_217508871_n.jpg

164694_10151384069944149_1222922295_n.jpg

Once again, lots of passersby stopped to stare, offer compliments, congratulate me, or express amazement. One old man, an asian guy who didn't speak a word of english, came by and was uttering something with a big smile on his face. I keep some pictures of finished RV's in my garage for visitors (old Vans calendar pics), so I took him over and showed him what a finished, painted RV looks like. You should have seen the expression on his face and heard the words coming out of his mouth. No english necessary! One other guy drove by, stopped, backed up and parked his car right in the middle of the street, and jumped out to talk to me. Come to find out, his grandfather is the guy who started "Trade-A-Plane" and we had a very nice chat.

It sure is fun! You never know what's going to happen when you do this. :)

Hey Bruce, I have been following your build, I remember when you took it out in 2010, man where have the years gone, I figure I am only 1/3 done, that makes this a 9 year project?

Building an RV on my street goes un-noticed for the most part. About ten houses down the street is a RV-7 builder that started before me. I started my RV-10 and just after I took my kit to the airport, the neighbor across the street purchased a partially completed kit. No, we aren't at an airpark either. The neighbor kids think its normal to have an airplane in your garage.

Although the most remarkable comment came just a few weeks ago. My RV-10 has been at the hangar for just over two years. The garbage man asked my daughter if the plane was flying yet. I don't recall ever speaking to him during the build, but I certainly must have caught his attention while he was picking up the trash every week. Especially since it would have been pretty uncommon for me to be at home at that time. It just amazed me that he would remember and asked questions after such a long period of time.

We live in a small rural township on the fringe of a large city. I've been building for 2 1/2 years now, but the plane hasn't been out on public display. Although the neighbours and a few other people know about it, I had no idea how far word had spread until one day when I was down at the local supermarket/hardware store and the teenage girl at the checkout, who I didn't know said brightly, "And how's the plane going?" So much for trying to keep a low profile. :D

Back