What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing inboard bottom skins

rulmen

All;

I have read somewhere that the first rib on the bottom of the wing has nutplates and screws and not rivets holding the skin on. I cannot find anywhere in the plans where it says this. Did I accidently read it in another forum?

Or asked another way, on a RV-6 the inboard bottom wing skin attaches to the first rib (closest to fuselage) does it attach by rivets or screws and nutplates?

Thanks!

Rich
Dues paid.

Wing root fairing

Been too long since I did it, but it has to do with the root fairing skin that goes on after you mount the wings.

Nutplates!

So it is nutplates! I cant find that anywhere but I read it somewhere. #8 nutplates?

Thanks!

Rich
Dues Paid.

The inboard rib to skin joint (top AND bottom) has both nutplates AND rivets. Unfortunately, SK-48 and SK-50 don't mention that on the rivet callout for the inboard skins. The screws are used to hold the wing fairing and the fuselage belly skin to the end rib/inboard skin.

It is possible to drill out every other rivet, use a strap duplicator to match drill the wing fairing and belly skins to the wing rib holes, and install nut plates. (Ask me how I know :) ).

Top skins.....

Thanks Steve.

RATS!!! I riveted the top skin on the first rib already. So I should drill out every other rivet and put a nutplate in? Darn. I might drill out every other and use sheet metal screws instead.

Anyone think that would be a problem? Otherwise I have to drill out all of those rivets on top to install nutplates. I have prepunched skins and the holes are spaced kinda far apart, I wonder if that is why?

Rich

Dues paid.

Thanks!

Is that rivet line covered by the fairing? If so, I could install the rivnut rivets thru the skin and rib.

Rich
Dues paid.

Yes, the rivets get covered up by the fairing and bottom skin. Only the screws are visible once the wings and fairings are installed.

I had pre-punched skins too, but no instructions to skip every other hole when drilling the skin to the rib. And, my skins matched the 1 1/4" rivet spacing called out on SK-48 and 50 for ALL the wing root ribs. Fortunately, every other 3/32 rivet could be drilled out and the hole opened up for a #8 screw. The nutplates fit between remaining adjacent rivets. No harm - no fowl.

No big deal if you already riveted everything on the top skins. If I were you, I'd leave it for now and deal with it when fitting the wing fairing. As for the bottom skins - make the rivet spacing 2 1/2" on the end ribs.

I recently fit my wings for drilling the rear spar attach. I did not have pre-punched skins.

When I built the wings I laid out the rivets per plans. When the time came to fit the wings I just drilled out every other rivet and then used the strap diplicator to make the hole in the fuselage skin. I would not add the nutplates in advance. It is much easier to use the strap duplicator method than to try and match up the fuselage skin with an existing nutplate.

here is the reference on the plans

These nutplates are shown on Drawing 46 "side view" as spaced at 2 1/2 inches K1100, and mentioned on drawing 21. If you have not run across them, the Frank Justice Supplemental Instructions are an excellent aid for an RV-6 build (and mention these nutplates). They can be found at
http://misc.edt.com/homewing/justice/
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

Back