What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crotch Strap Bracket

MNellis

I'm using the Vans crotch strap bracket by just modifying the side flanges by 1/4" or so to make it fit. The installation went well and I used the .185" gap for the slot. After the fact I realized that I don't have my seat belts yet and the gap looked awful small. My guess is that the gap is based on Vans belts and it might be to small for the Crow Belts that I plan to use.

Can someone who has the Crow belts with the crotch strap let me know what sort of gap was required for their crotch strap belt?

DSC00194.JPG

5 mm

I just did mine on the 7A I am building. I read here that the spacing for the crow belts is 5mm. I made a spacer that thick, clamped em in, and drilled away. Tight quarters with the angle drill.:eek:

Chad

are you sure of the location?

I plan to do a similar install on my 6A, but I am waiting until I have the seats in hand to fix the forward/aft location for the bracket.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

I just did mine on the 7A I am building. I read here that the spacing for the crow belts is 5mm. I made a spacer that thick, clamped em in, and drilled away. Tight quarters with the angle drill.:eek:

I must have missed reading that but 5mm is about .1875 so I'll go with that. I'm installing the second side this morning so if I wanted to fix that distance before making the same mistake twice....if I made a mistake.

I plan to do a similar install on my 6A, but I am waiting until I have the seats in hand to fix the forward/aft location for the bracket.

I've seen examples that were mounted right up next to the cut-out for the lightening hole in the rib (that's where mine is) and I've seen examples that were mounted at the bottom near the rear floor skin. In my case, I wanted to get this task done so I just went with the location on the plans.

I'll be ordering the belts on Monday so I should know soon how it all fits.

The center of the belt gap is 6.5 inches..

straight back from the F604 bulkhead on mine. There is no exact answer. I suspect if you locate your belt gap opening around 6 to 6 1/2 inches back, it would be about right. The vans crotch belt (mine) needed a .125 gap to let the steel anchor plate pass snugly between before bolting it up. I know the crow has a thicker plate, but can't tell you how thick. As you have seen, the forward most vertical flange should fit the rib close to the back of the lightening hole.

I must have missed reading that but 5mm is about .1875 so I'll go with that. I'm installing the second side this morning so if I wanted to fix that distance before making the same mistake twice....if I made a mistake.

I've seen examples that were mounted right up next to the cut-out for the lightening hole in the rib (that's where mine is) and I've seen examples that were mounted at the bottom near the rear floor skin. In my case, I wanted to get this task done so I just went with the location on the plans.

I'll be ordering the belts on Monday so I should know soon how it all fits.

5mm is closer to 0.197

Back