Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
Hudly Classic HUDs is available through GRT.

Ron B
Yes, till they run out of stock....
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Default Advance Flight Systems Data Stream

I canít find info of their data stream in their manuals. Hopefully Rob Hickman or Ken will see this thread and provide some insight.

Since the AFS EFIS supports five serial ports, there are possibilities to have direct connections. With a PFD and MFD youíll have ten ports to choose from. Most of their Port configurations permit selection of devices, which I assume configures the data stream to properly interface with the device.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 622BH View Post
I got excited when the possibility of using glasses for "HUD" was published - quickly that morphed into the current technology.
What interests me even more is the advancement to not requiring an android (or iPhone) interface between the data source and the HUD. A direct serial connection would be simplest and (my opinion) preferred.

Brian - you mentioned Dynon systems were being worked on. Does that include the Advance Flight Systems EFIS as well, or are they still in the "next iteration" phase?
I can't answer your question, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. AFS already provides the required data via WiFi for display for a variety of tablet applications.

My interest is high on this, but unfortunately my available time is pretty committed for awhile.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 622BH View Post
I canít find info of their data stream in their manuals. Hopefully Rob Hickman or Ken will see this thread and provide some insight.

Since the AFS EFIS supports five serial ports, there are possibilities to have direct connections. With a PFD and MFD youíll have ten ports to choose from. Most of their Port configurations permit selection of devices, which I assume configures the data stream to properly interface with the device.
I looked through the AFS docs yesterday and it appears that the data format is configurable. I don't know which format is usable for the project. It looks like the aviation data format would be the most likely but I don't think that's something I could tackle anytime soon.

The documentation is in the installation guide under serial port configuration.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
I looked through the AFS docs yesterday and it appears that the data format is configurable. I don't know which format is usable for the project. It looks like the aviation data format would be the most likely but I don't think that's something I could tackle anytime soon.

The documentation is in the installation guide under serial port configuration.
Stretching my memory but I seem to recall the old AVIATION data format was navigation type data only. I don't remember that having any ADAHRS type data included in it. That protocol definition was around on the web in the past.

I took a quick look at the available options for AFS and I don't see one that obviously meets our needs with this project. Would need more info on what some of the others include.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I can't answer your question, but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. AFS already provides the required data via WiFi for display for a variety of tablet applications.

My interest is high on this, but unfortunately my available time is pretty committed for awhile.
If the AFS supplies WiFi data via the GDL 90 data format, I would think that would work (along with the stratu[sx] and any other compatibles). I don't know what data it will report so some info will likely not be available.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Stretching my memory but I seem to recall the old AVIATION data format was navigation type data only. I don't remember that having any ADAHRS type data included in it. That protocol definition was around on the web in the past.

I took a quick look at the available options for AFS and I don't see one that obviously meets our needs with this project. Would need more info on what some of the others include.
I looked it up briefly and it appears to be a link-level protocol and not really a data level one. If I read the docs correctly, it's a fixed length data packet with variable data in it with three different encodings and one encoding has a couple of variants.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
If the AFS supplies WiFi data via the GDL 90 data format, I would think that would work (along with the stratu[sx] and any other compatibles). I don't know what data it will report so some info will likely not be available.
They supply air data, traffic, and weather via WiFi. The air data feed allows apps like Foreflight, Wingx, etc to mimic a basic efis screen. I think it may be gdl 90 format, but I'm not certain. It would easy enough to validate with Rob, Ken, or Shawn.

There have been quite a few updates to the serial interfaces with V15. I would have to check the manual to see what options are available on a dedicated port.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM

Kivic HUD confirmed to work with the RPi's composite video output.

This thing is fairly compact and looks like it might work well with the tipup canopy. Won't know for sure until I can actually place it on the glare shield and sit behind it.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Default AFS ADAHRS data out

I talked to a friend today, who has an ear with AFS and he told me they are working to give the ADAHRS data out so it can be used with projects like the HUD.

Not sure when it will be available, but they are working on it. So stand by for news hopefully in the near future. Don't ask what the data string will look like as he didn't know either. He did say he thinks they are working with Dynon and since the AF5000 series uses the Dynon ADAHRS it might be the same data string as the SkyView.

Brian