What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank screws?

wnplt

Well Known Member
Can anybody tell me how many fuel tank screws there are on a RV7? My plane is at the paint shop and I want to replace them all. I need to get them ordered but don’t have access to the plane at this time.

Also looking for part number of the tank screw too...

Thanks...

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me how many fuel tank screws there are on a RV7? My plane is at the paint shop and I want to replace them all. I need to get them ordered but don?t have access to the plane at this time.

Also looking for part number of the tank screw too...

Thanks...

AN509-8R8 x 120
Might want a few extra.

MS24694S5

https://catalog.monroeaerospace.com/item/all-categories/an-screws/an509-8r8N Screws
AN509-8R8
MS24694/AN509 100 Degree Flat Head Structural Machine Screws
Request Information

Add To Cart
RFQ
Description
Specifications
Applications
Sold In Per Package
Inventory Note Need additional stock? Call (877) 920-1876 or email
Thread Size 8-32
Material Carbon Steel
Length 17/32 in
Grip 3/32 in
Head Type Flat
Head Angle 100 ?
Industry Standards/Certification AN509
Weight 0.005 lb
Alternate Part Number MS24694S5
Minimum Order Note You must purchase in increments of 1 at a time.
Country of Origin USA
Home | About | About | Products
Copyright ? 2018 | Monroe Engineering LLC

I cant speak as a builder but I am replacing my fuel tanks after resealing and the screws that I took out were huge (at least 1/2 inch grip). I don't have access to my 6 plans but 3/32 grip length sounds small. Again, I'm not a builder, just someone who saw what came off my current tanks.

I was planning on replacing mine with MS24694-S11 with a grip length of 15/32's.

Thoughts?

I just used a website to convert Wirejock's AN- based post to MS. Good catch if spec'd grip does not match the plans, guess we need a hand, my plans are in the hangar distant.

I cant speak as a builder but I am replacing my fuel tanks after resealing and the screws that I took out were huge (at least 1/2 inch grip). I don't have access to my 6 plans but 3/32 grip length sounds small. Again, I'm not a builder, just someone who saw what came off my current tanks.
I was planning on replacing mine with MS24694-S11 with a grip length of 15/32's.
Thoughts?

Grip length refers to the thickness of the material to be clamped. A grip length of 15/32" would require the material to be clamped to be 1/2" thick.
MS24694-S11 are almost 1" long.

I guess when I say "grip length" I mean the length of the bolts thread. So what I have is 15/32 length with a full thread from tip to head. (MS24694-S11)

is that acceptable for a tank install?

D

I guess when I say "grip length" I mean the length of the bolts thread. So what I have is 15/32 length with a full thread from tip to head. (MS24694-S11) is that acceptable for a tank install?
D

The specs I'm seeing for the MS24694-S11 show overall length of 0.9", a thread length of 0.4", leaving a grip length of around 0.5".
If your screws have full thread from tip to head, they should work. But that's not what I see from the specs.

Vans specs

I quoted the part number off the plans. Might want to call Vans for the Official word.

Don't need any grip length. On my 6, it was an 025 or 032 dimpled sheet on top of an 063 countersunk piece with a nut plate under it. Given the counter sinks, fully threaded is perfectly adequate, as shear load, for sheet work anyways, is captured by the dimples and heads, not the screw shanks/surface ID. A 1/2" screw seems plenty long and sounds like what was on my 6. 8R8 is pretty standard for securing two dimpled sheets with a nutplate.

Larry

Last edited:
I guess when I say "grip length" I mean the length of the bolts thread. So what I have is 15/32 length with a full thread from tip to head. (MS24694-S11)

is that acceptable for a tank install?

D

An 8R8 is 1/2" length, meaning top of head to base of threads for a flat head. Pan heads are measured from the bottom of the head. Grip length refers to the length of the bolt or screw that is dimensioned and without threads. The AN numbering refers to screw length, not grip lenght. so an 8R8 is is #8 thread that is 8/16" long. They have standards for how much grip vs. threads. However, below 8 they are fully threaded.

Larry

Last edited:
Yeah, I must be wrong on my NAS number as mine are full thread.

Will have to check when i'm at the hangar.
D

The only "appear" full thread

I bought some to replace my tank screws --- first thought they were full thread/non-structural, but there is a very small shoulder on the 8R8 (1/2inch).

Waiting on my tank to come back from W no M. (on the way!)

Ron

Back