What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter solenoid hits engine mount

8 Builder

I mounted my master and starter solenoid/contactors to the front edge of my firewall mounted battery tray as per my RV-8 plans. There was a surprise when the starter solenoid hit the engine mount tube when mounted in the prescribed position. Assembly of the battery tray seems in order and in the correct position on the firewall. I simply turned the contactor upside down and it fits without hitting anything. Has anyone else seen this? I searched the web and this web site without seeing anyone else with the problem. Don't suppose the contractor cares which way the electricity flows through it. It just closes a starter circuit, right? Has anyone else seen this? Sorry. TinyPic would not upload the picture.

Last edited:
Don't suppose the contractor cares which way the electricity flows through it. It just closes a starter meter circuit, right? Has anyone else seen this? Sorry. TinyPic would not upload the picture.

Electrically it doesn't matter for the start relay (for the master relay it does), but the orientation is specific to avoid the possibility of high G's causing the plunger to move and energize the starter motor.

I am not familiar with an interference problem if mounted per plans.

Thanks for the response Scott. After even more research on the web; and the lack of response to my question; I have come to the realization that hardly anyone mounts it there. There are so many ways to skin this cat that you just have to pick one and run with it. Building on!

Back