What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Blended Airfoil Prop...Aerobatics?

rjbob

Well Known Member
I am tired of thinking about the AD on my C/S prop so I bought a new Blended Airfoil prop for my RV-7...a 74" version.

Not worried about the length as my current prop is also 74".

My question concerns aerobatics with the prop. Does anyone have experience flipping their RV around the sky with this propeller?

Thanks,
Bob

I think the question is more who has not. With a prop that has been around for a decade on RV's and every other aircraft around the world, the answer to your question is yes. Its well proven on these air frames.

Aerobatics

Bob, what's your concern with doing aerobatics with this new prop? How's it different than the last one (other than maker & perhaps weight).

Bob, what's your concern with doing aerobatics with this new prop? How's it different than the last one (other than maker & perhaps weight).

Thanks for the replies, guys.

chazking, Same manufacturer and approximately the same weight. Different airfoil and different blade shape...and a different (although a newer design) hub.

Kahuna, I've found many posts in re a speed increase and a noise decrease but I may have missed an aerobatic discussion.

Thanks again!

while I don't airshow or to the level that Mike and Jerry and the gang fly on almost every flight I have always love acrobatics. I have done lots of Rolls Hesitation rolls, loops, Cuban 8's, reverse cuban eights , immemans, and quite a few spins all with the blended airfoil prop.
probably about 200 flips or more since I completed my build last October
Best part my wife love it too!!!!

Smilin Jack

Thanks for the replies, guys.

chazking, Same manufacturer and approximately the same weight. Different airfoil and different blade shape...and a different (although a newer design) hub.

Kahuna, I've found many posts in re a speed increase and a noise decrease but I may have missed an aerobatic discussion.

Thanks again!

Take the Hartzell prop off your worry list. Go fly. Have fun. Be safe. Smile a lot!

Bob I have the exact same prop on my RV-7a and it does great with it. I do aileron rolls and split S manuevers. no worries

If you're not certain about the entry speed for a split S, just do a loop. Do a quick airspeed check at the top of the loop...that's a good split S entry speed.

Hi Aaron,

Out of curiosity what entry speed are you using for the split S?

Cheers

Eddie I enter it at 120 mph. Be very carefull doing a loop as you want to ensure that you do not have a aft CG present which is more apt to happen if you have a passenger with you and you both are at the 200lb range.

If you can do a split s safely you should be able to do a loop with no problems at the same CG. In either case you want to make sure you're in the aerobatic CG limit.

George

Back