What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASA Seat Mod experience

Loren

After much consternation and deliberation I finally bit the bullet and dove in to the "Almost and RV14" seat mod on my RV7. I watched the video Allen made and found it intriguing and had to agree that more room in my cockpit would be a good thing. I did feel that I was too upright in my airplane and too close to the panel (I'm 6'1"/225 lbs.) The mod seemed to be well thought out and engineered so I felt confident that tearing out a structural bulkhead and replacing with a stainless steel bar would result in a safe modification.
I went ahead and ordered the kit, it was in stock so I received it in 3 days. The parts were labeled "RV9" so I called to confirm that the kit would also work in a -7. I got a very prompt reply to my voicemail and was assured that the parts were correct for a -9 and -7.
In essence the kit was installed as Allan demonstrated with a few minor issues. The "simple" removal of the stock seatback bulkhead is a bit more involved than a few rivets on the top and side. In reality, on a completed aircraft there are several rivets that need to be removed and many are tough to get to.
removal_zps09fead1a.jpg

There are about 15 rivets on each end that you get to deal with. I couldn't get to many of the manufactured heads so I removed the shop heads with creative dremel usage. It took about 1-1/2 hours to remove the old bulkhead and another hour to fit the new one. Once the old parts are taken out the process is simple as shown on the video. All I can add on the installation is that the center/forward bracket needed a little trimming along with the side flap drive covers to allow the new center cap screw holes to line up with the existing nutplates.
centertrim_zpsc921a05d.jpg

Also the left and right decorative covers need some relief cut in to allow for a rivet from the longeron that prevents the cover from sitting in the vertex of the longeron. Alternatively you could remove the offending rivet and put a new rivet through the canopy rail/longeron/cover. Since the covers are cosmetic and the hanger was really hot and humid that day I elected to go the relief route and press on. I painted the aluminum parts to match the interior and polished the stainless and am pleased with the appearance. I am not a big fan of the feel of the seat backs against the steel crossbrace so I installed some bumpers on the forward face of the crossbrace. (Plastic #8 screw covers from the aviation aisle at Home Depot. Three per side. Not shown in the picture.)

rail_zpsbab7fd78.jpg

done_zps6ea9b3aa.jpg

Finally got a chance to fly yesterday and am very pleased with my new airplane. Visibility over the nose while taxiing obviously suffers a bit but that is a small price to pay for the extra room in the cockpit. I do have to lean forward to get to the map box on the far right side of the panel but everything else is still within easy reach. Sight picture on landing is slightly different but I don't anticipate any problems getting used to it. If I did decide that I didn't want a full 4" aft on the seatback it would be very simple to fab a bracket for the seatback that would put the seatback in whatever position I needed. In short, I am glad I did it. I'm sure this modification will make longer trips much more pleasant.

Thanks for the report ... I'm still researching what to build, and after a test flight in a -9A, I found it way too cramped for my liking ... The only way I might consider a -9A at this point is with this mod installed from the get-go, but I'm not sure I'd bet on a whole plane model based on one mod that I might not get to see in real life ...

Did you ever find bumping your head on the canopy in turbulence and such?

Is this a slider? I take it you had to duck quite a bit when open and closing if so?

you HAVE to sit in it to know.....

Hey Kamikaze.....
I have a -9a slider, am about 5'10" ( you'll find lots of old discussions on VAF about this) and am pretty tight to the canopy...bump my head a lot. A 5th point harness will stop some of this problem.
Closing the canopy, you learn to duck, or lose your headset!;)
I'm sure there are -9 or -7 sliders near you, so go sit in one, adjust the cushions etc. until you are happy.
Then, check the schedule and find the -14, and go sit in it.
...and..... get ready to write the check for a -14 kit.:rolleyes:

just my opinion, your butt to noggin ration may vary!

I took a ride in a -9A ... I still like it, but yeah after a few bumps, both in flight, and from the slider, and my elbows being real snug, I'm not so sure anymore ... I do want a little bit more comfort than that I think (My generous host and his wife are shoter than I am, they have no issues).

I might try and find a -9A owned and operated by a 6 foot+ 200 pds+ person, see if they've managed to tweak it somehow to something more enjoyable (such as with the ASA mod), but the narrowness is just not negotiable of course ...

I'll try to see if I can find the -14 nearby, but I'm in Easter Canada, and I don't know that it crosses the border that often, otherwise I'll look out for the North East US!

I'm surprised people tolerate things like "bump my head a lot" ... guess some of us are ready to make greater sacrifices than I for the speed and efficiency of an RV ... But I'm also trying to think of future passengers, who would quite possibly be equally bothered by this ... gotta keep the wife happy and she's about 5'10 ... :p

J.F.,
My guess is that you sat in a RV-9a that was set up for a shorter person. I am 6'-5" and in the last year since completion I have only bumped my head once. That was understandable as it was an inverted entry into a spin. Oops.
Width is not something you can fix without a diet but height should not be a problem with the proper cushions and setup. I have been in a few RV that were uncomfortable for me as they were set up for someone shorter. One had a 2" lower panel extension and I could not get my legs under the panel.

Nice write-up. I was considering this mod, but after positioning the seatback full aft, I'm comfortable with the angle and have a ton of leg room. I'm about 6' 2", 200 lb.

I haven't fit the IP yet?has anyone move the IP forward an inch or two? Just considering all the options.The 9 is a little narrow, but it gives the sports car experience?like an NA Miata or Honda S2000. I'm forgoing any interior panels to maximize elbow room, but I will have padded armrests.

"My guess is that you sat in a RV-9a that was set up for a shorter person. I am 6'-5" and in the last year since completion I have only bumped my head once."

Other than the ASA mod, what does one do to adjust the seating? I'm pretty sure the back of my seat was full aft ... And he did mention that there was some extra cushioning that could be removed, seemed fairly thin though.

This -9A had a panel extension, it wasn't too bad though ... the thing that bothered me as a passenger is there was this angled piece connecting from under the seat to the sidewall, just under my right leg (in the copilot seat) ... I think it covers connections between the front spar and under the seat? I was hitting that a fair bit and couldn't always get my legs comfortable ... of course as the pilot I wouldn't really have that issue, but my passengers might ...

I have the -9A preview plans CD, I can try and look in more detail at the seat build to see if I can understand what's going on there ... Tough to do and visualize with just plans though having never seen an RV in pieces or anything like that (yet!).

"The 9 is a little narrow, but it gives the sports car experience…"

Indeed, that is the main appeal in some ways I suppose :) If I want the performance, this is what I need to do ... The -14 will go nearly as fast, on a fair bit more gas though.

Right now my other alternative is a Glasair Spostman 2+2 ... nice wide cabin, goes everywhere, but is much slower ... What can't I have my cake and it eat to? Oh right, physics ... :p

J.F.
I installed the floor pan rear seat hinge one inch further aft than the plans. I do not have the panel extension. I worked with Luke at Classic Aero Design interiors to get the best fitting seats. The most expensive seats they have are thicker in the seat backs and move you further forward. I went with the Sportsman. I do not have any seat wedges which raise you closer to the canopy and I mounted my rudder pedals as far forward as possible.
All these little things add up to a big difference.
I don't know what angle piece you could be referring to. The A model has a rather large gear bracket at you thigh and then there is the spare cover but I have not had any issues with that. I do think the gear towers would get in the way.

JF - We do have a local 9A guy who is tall - but not heavy. Will email you his name - he's an EAA 245 member. Might be a good idea to hook up with him to see how he fits in his.

The height issue might be easily solved. The width issue is a cat of an altogether different colour!

seat tilt mod

Most of Allan's mods have been spot on for me... and would buy them again.
The seat tilt.... not needed however. I fly a 9A and like the fit just as it is.
Just under 6 ft. and 180. I do duck, when sliding the canopy forward. After that, I can reach everything just fine. I do want to know what Mark was up to when he flat spun the 9???? That would sure get my attention.
Anyway, most RV people will let you test fit and try them out.
Me included, here in the southwest near Sedona.

I installed the ASA seat mod on a 7A slider, with Aero Classic Aviator seats. I'm 6'2" 225lb w/ a 33" inseam. It was the best thing I did in terms of comfort. I have two sons that also fly, one 5' 11" the other 6' 2"+ with long legs. Aero Classic made us up wedges that matched the seat leather so we can adjust for leg length. The headroom has become such a non issue that I put one of the wedges under my seat to raise myself up. Just about every time I get in the plane, it's a 320nm + run and the seat position is much improved for me.

Dale

Back