What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Group "B" ECI Cylinders

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
I have these and am ready to contact ECI for replacements..... What should I expect from them as far as total cash difference?

I did mine 2 years ago. My cost was $485 for all 4 cylinders, I had about 250 hours on the cylinders and the cost was pro-rated against normal cylinder life. If I remember correctly, I also paid shipping to return my old cylinder.

Part of the saving was from a labor allowance that was included in the calculation to determine my final cost.

I did mine a couple years ago. I sent ECI an email and got a response that group B customers were not eligible for any discounts. I stewed on that for a week, then called and spoke with Tara Molyneux. She said I would receive a discount called "Warranty-SB08-1 Parallel Cyl" Retail price for 4 cylinders was $4860. The reduced warranty price was $2,888. This was more than others on VAF were charged, including a guy two hangars down from me that paid about $500 for all four just a few months earlier. Who knows what kind of discount they are now offering. Good luck.
Chuck

Group B Cylinder replacement

I did mine 2 years ago. My cost was $485 for all 4 cylinders, I had about 250 hours on the cylinders and the cost was pro-rated against normal cylinder life. If I remember correctly, I also paid shipping to return my old cylinder.

Part of the saving was from a labor allowance that was included in the calculation to determine my final cost.

I did mine in March 2012 when I bought the airplane and my experience is similar to Rick's. I think my costs were about the same and got the labor allowance computation as part of the reimbursement

No joy here

I have called them 3 times in the last couple of years and have pretty much been blown off. I have never been given the feeling that they care, want to help, or are interested in standing behind their product. I would love to hear if there is a different approach that might serve me better. Otherwise I am about to look at other cylinders.

Any ideas welcome here as well.......thx

I have called them 3 times in the last couple of years and have pretty much been blown off. I have never been given the feeling that they care, want to help, or are interested in standing behind their product. I would love to hear if there is a different approach that might serve me better. Otherwise I am about to look at other cylinders.

Any ideas welcome here as well.......thx

I had the same experiene when I talked with them about re-honing and re-ringing my (1500 hour) group A cylinders last year - no help at all on the phone. based on that, wI went straight to A.E.R.O and bought four new Lycoming assemblies for about $1000 each, and are very happy with them.

At SnF, I managed to catch one of the VP's at the ECI tent, and told him about the experience - he said that they would have taken care of everything...at which point I told him that (A) it was too late, and (B) They need to tell their folks that handle the phone this!

I like ECI, I have supported ECI, and I will probably buy (some) ECI parts in the future - but they need to get their customer service act together to avoid getting a bad reputation.

Group B

If you have Group B then you should be 485.00 for the replacement set of four. Gets confusing over what is Group A and B and why is the warranty coverage different. Group B has a manufacturing problem that started it and Group A didn't have that issue.
I think their warranty boss has changed a few times over the past years too. There's a nice lady named Ruth now who answers the warranty questions. When the AD came out in 2008 they got buried on the phones with frustrated customers and I don't think anyone was happy.

Grub

I would give Joe a call, I have found him responsive and easy to work with.

Joe L. Trampota
Engine Components International
Account Manager Wholesale Accounts
9503 Middlex
San Antonio, TX 78217
PH 800-324-2359 / 210-820-8148
Fax 210-820-8102
www.eci.aero

I just boxed up and shipped all four of my Group B cylinders back to ECI today. At the risk of jinxing it (I don't have my new jugs yet!) I will say that the price I worked out with ECI to replace them is in line with the lower numbers mentioned in this thread. Much better than paying full price for four new ones, anyway.

mcb

Back