What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

the Worst Sound in Building....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
My vote is for the "snap!" the pop-rivet tool makes as it breaks the mandrel when pulling rivets in Plexiglas. Yeah....they're soft aluminum rivets with soft aluminum mandrels...and nope, I haven't broken a canopy with one yet. But man, I hate that sound every time you pull one - because you slowly open your eyes and wait to see that first crack!;)

Other nasty sounds?!

Last edited:
The sound the buffing wheel makes after it grabs the part I am working on and slings it across the shop. :eek:

The clink, clink, clink sound that a nut or washer makes as it falls to the bottom of the engine sump, through the open magneto port that you didn't think to block with a rag.

The sound of a titanium bucking bar.....

when it slips from your grasp inside the fuselage and misses the towel below..

sounds

The sound of a your partners rivet gun hitting before you can get the bucking bar on the rivet.
Don

Someone else did this...

|the sound of opening a tip-up canopy when you leave the clecoes in the top |skin.

It sounds even worse if you have the struts installed!

Yep

The sound the buffing wheel makes after it grabs the part I am working on and slings it across the shop. :eek:

Thank goodness someone else does that to!

The sound of that small and unique part/ harware item dropping onto the concrete floor and you know your going to be on your hands and knees for ages trying find the &%#%^&@* thing

The sound of that small and unique part/ harware item dropping onto the concrete floor and you know your going to be on your hands and knees for ages trying find the &%#%^&@* thing

Hah, that happened to me, twice, just the other night but I was working on a car at the time.

The grinding noise your reamer makes when you final ream the skin to tank baffle holes holes before removing the tank from the wing (took me about 10 holes to figure it out; I thought it was hitting clecos, then remembered there aren't any #@&* clecos in there!:eek:)
DSCN3453.JPG

Gus at Van's said he's seen much worse. He said smooth it out, prime it, and build on. So I did.
DSCN3459.JPG

Garage door

While helping a friend rivet his bottom wing skins on his RV-8 we had the skin held up by fishing line attached to his overhead (open) garage door.

While in the middle of riveting his wife returned and didn't realize the door was already open and activated the door remote from down the street. As the door started down it pulled on the fishing line attached to the bottom skin, I am sure you can picture what could have happened next. Fortunately we acted quickly and cut the line before any damage was done.

Lesson learned, if you attach your skin the overhead garage door, unplug the power unit.

Last edited:
Two off the top of my head:

The sound the air compressor makes when it pops a breaker and shuts down unnaturally. "Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Prang!"

and

"Honey can you [blank]."

Wife Thinking Out Loud

When I'm in one of those "I'll never finish this thing" modes and she voices, "I can't imagine attempting something like this ....it seems so hopeless." Thanks, honey.

No sound at all....

Worst sound for me is the sound of "silence" in my hangar since I can't seem to find the time to 'build' (replace the lower weldments in my RV-4). Sound of "silence" for over a year now. :(

bad sounds

Whilst upside down under the panel with a wrench on a nut, that shearing sound as an improperly trained wife overtorques the bolt......twice.......

The delicate sound of...

...the OPEN caddy with trays of sorted rivets hitting the floor. They just seem to bounce and roll forever...

:mad:

The awful sound of

your electric flap motor grinding to a halt as you lower your flaps on to the step stool poorly positioned below... :mad:

Smile and not the good kind

The sound of the rivet gun when you plug into the wrong air hose with WAY too much pressure and you pull the trigger and make a nice big smiley face right in the middle of the blasted aft fuse! 4 hours later and I’m still BENT!!

The sound of when I accidentally press the trigger of my Sioux air drill and the chuck key rips out of my hand and hits the airplane as I am trying to change drill bits.

The sound a large metal staple makes when the piece of packing case plywood that you knew you should have moved out of the way, scrapes along the side of the fuselage as it fall over.

Why do you do this, Paul? You start these threads that make us all cringe as we read the pain and anguish that others have endured ... ;)

Worst sound

Me: Working away, in the groove, with muffled sounds of radio and match-drilling coming through my hearing protection.
Spouse: Don't you realize what time it is!? Can you please _____________!? (Fill in the blank: Get ready to go, come up for dinner, shut down for the night, cut the grass, go to the store, take a break, etc..)

multiple sounds

All the sounds made when I was using a paint bucket full of flox in the cabin top when I stepped out on the spar attachment and missed it. I fell over like a baby would in a bucket. I threw the flox across the shop while my shin got caught up in the wheel pant attachment and on the way down slapped both hands on the Vertical fin/rudder combo lying on the table and knocking it to the floor as I land on top of it. Wish I had a video...

From a passer by two times a day during couple weeks: How niiiiiiiiiice. :mad: I was building wings at the moment and it was hot I opened garage door. Kept door closed since then no more bad sounds only working noises :D

The absolute worst sound has to be when the inspector says,

"I'm going to write you a letter of denial................."

The horrible squishing sound your finger makes as you accidentally activate the rivet squeezer whilst adjusting the jaws......... :eek:

There's a veritable symphony of awful sounds in my shop.

There's the bandsaw blade breaking, a tray of rivets falling off the back of the bench to the floor behind, and my favorite, which is when I'm deburring the edge of some meticulously iterated part and the wheel catches it because I'm stupid and it makes that 'poomp!' sound, which alerts me to the presence of a new and undesired shape.

Just out of curiousity, Mel, how bad does it have to be to get one of those?

Pretty bad. I've only done 2 out of about 700 inspections.
Typically you must have a safety of flight, or disqualifying issue that you refuse to correct.

The noise the young bloke makes when he wakes up. :mad:

That usually signals the end of my building time and the transition to doting dad. Although I must say as he gets closer to 12 months old he's getting into the spirit of building. He'll sit in his bouncer thingy outside the garage door, looking at the trees and birds and things while I play peek-a-boo around the fuselage and drill or deburr something. :D

"The horrible squishing sound your finger makes as you accidentally activate the rivet squeezer whilst adjusting the jaws......... "

DUDE.. YOU WIN!! Thats just nasty. Heck I cut half my finger off 2 weeks ago but, I rather have that than the squeezer!

and the worst part was: it was a manual squeezer!

okay.. now I'm just laughing! How the heck do you even do that?

Back