What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stein Air harness

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Id call Stein but it's the weekend. Course maybe you'll read this stein!

I bought all my avionics from Stein a couple of years ago and unfortunately I'm just wiring the components together now.

Anyway, the problem. Though I didn't have them do a complete harness, all the components came with very nice semi complete harness not all connected together.

Problem is, the wonderful drawing I received with it showing which wire connects to which pin on the different components doesn't identify wire color used.

For example, I'll have a shielded pair marked "GPS RS232 out A&B".
Inside the shield will be a white wire and a white wire with a blue stripe! It's quite difficult to track down the pin each is connected to as there is a very large bundle of wires to pick through. :(

Does anyone know if they use a convention, such as maybe the A wire is always white and the B wire always has the stripe or something like that?

I'd be cruising right along if I knew.

Thanks gang!

The blue (stripe) is generally "Low" (ground/return), but I would verify before making that assumption. Ring out one of them and then you can be pretty sure the rest will follow the same convention.

wire

If it helps any I think one of Steins recent Kitplanes articles mentions his protocal for colored wires

Wire colors

I recently had to check my GPS wiring to change GPS units. Stein did my prewire and their notes had white as GPS data and blue/white as ground. They were shielded and the shield terminates before the GPS.

Back