What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Koger Sunshade Help

Hello Everyone,

I have a RV8 with a koger sunshade. It seems to keep popping off from either the canopy or the sticky tape. I've had to redo it twice by now and am wondering if there is a better option. What type of sticky tape do y'all use? I'm using 3M sticky tape I believe from the hardware store. Is there a certain sweet spot to place the sunshade on the canopy so it doesn't keep popping off from not having the right bend?

I did in the beginning but it started to pop off. So I went and bought some 3M tape. And that is now starting to pop off. Called the company and they will be sending me some red tape. 3rd time is the charm ;)

you can wipe the canopy down in the center with denatured alcohol it wont effevt the plastic but it will get rid of the grease and dirt..

Jack

you can wipe the canopy down in the center with denatured alcohol it wont effect the plastic but it will get rid of the grease and dirt..

Jack

Thanks Jack. I am not the OP but but your post is very timely as I was just thinking of how to clean the canopy for my newly purchased Kroger Sunshade.

Kroger shade

Before peeling off the tape cover, the shade rail is supposed to be contoured ( bent) to sit against the canopy flush.

On my 7a, no problem in 5 years.

10 years and no problem with original tape!

It is important that you carefully bend the rail to PERFECTLY FIT the contour of the plexiglass. I would even go so far as suggest that you sand the contact areas with 1000 grit sand paper and clean well with alcohol.

Steve

Welcome Jim,

like stated the bending is mosty important, i would not sand the plexiglass canopy on the koger shade I received the tape was already on the metal rail

Mine night fall off tomorrow but it has stayed on extremely well for 2 years in Georgia.
My only wish is that it would be available 2 inches wider than it is now.

Jack

I too bought the shade but for my slider canopy and my question is what do you do with the cable from the canopy latch that runs from front to back on the bottom of the tubing since the shade mounts to the metal tubing also. I see no mention of this in the directions for install. I have it mounted as instructed but I had to relocate the cable and there is always a conflict when trying to slide the shade.
The shade makes a noticeable difference blocking the sun and
Keeping the heat down but it is definitely pricey for what it is. Is it worth it? I guess since I didn't have to Spend the time making my own from scratch but it seems kinda frail to me.

You might want to contact Mr.Koger. He knows and willingly shares the correct way to prepare the canopy and install the shade. I followed this path and my RV8 Koger shade has performed flawlessly.

On the 15-year-old RV-6 that I fly, the builder replaced the consistently failing adhesive tape with a long piece of Velcro tape. This method has worked well. I suspect that the Velcro tape offers enough "give" to accommodate vibration/heat/misalignment of the shade center support. As for my current RV-12 shade installation, I very carefully bent the channel to fit the under-curve of the canopy and thoroughly cleaned all parts with alcohol -- it is working well so far!

Last edited:
Back