What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone install a Dynon autopilot?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Both spars are complete and the ribs are ready to install in my RV-7A wing. So, it's time to start thinking about what I need to do before I close the wing.

I plan on using the Dynon autopilot and servos. I'm just looking to see if anyone here has installed a Dynon servo in the wing. Did you use a servo mount kit from Dynon? Were there any placement issues? Is there anything you learned that will help me install my servo??

Thanks!

I did

Mark

I installed the Dynon AP servos. No problems. Make sure you have a way of getting the required wires to that spot before closing the wings. I installed the servos and used the Dynon mount kit after the wings were closed up. No problems. Their instructions are very detailed.

Thanks Marc! Did you run the autopilot wires in the same conduit as the nav/strobes wires or should I keep them separate?

Dozens of us have.

The physical install is very easy even with a completed wing. Put in a conduit and the wire in during the build if you can.

I ran all my wires together. Follow the instruction very carefully about grounding the shield for the strobes. I haven't experienced any noise issues from wiring in the wings yet.

Download the installation instructions!

You can download the installation instructions from the Dynon website if you want to know what it will take to complete the job. There is one for the pitch as well as the roll.

Thanks all...I just ordered the roll servo and install kit from Dynon! :)

-spending money on airplane parts is fun!

Dynon Auto Pilot

I agree with the other posts. Very straightforward. If you are going to use the Dynon AOA do not forget the the 3 lengths of plastic tubing and the pitot bracket you will need to install in the left wing.

Dynon Autopilot

We installed the Dynon to go with the D100 and also an AP74. True autopilot
functions with the Value button on AP74 serving as 3 different functions, 1. Baro press set, 2, heading bug set (push twice), 3 Altitude set (push 3rd time) and you can change both without using buttons on D100;)
We also coupled the Garmin 496 using the existing plug from the rear of the unit to access the "blue" wire for data into the pin #22 on rear of D100, so we also have course capability from the 496.
We also installed a 4 A CB & disconnect switch next to the D100 and have 0 issues with ease of shutting off. The stick grip is the reccommended location but I really did not want to open up that area unless something is broken and it isn't so I left it alone. You have the luxury/option of doing the stick switch during the build and I reccommend that highly.
Hope the info helps
Blue Skies:cool:

I would suggest installing the servo mount kit. I bought mine from ACS. Like you I wanted to make as much progress as I could with the skins off the wings. My bracket was a piece of cake to install.

The reason I say install the kit and not the servo is that now as time has passed I'm wondering if there is any way I could come up with enough money for an AFS EFIS. All of these systems are changing very quickly these days and who knows what will be available in a year(who am I kidding) or so.

Autopilot photos for Dynon installation?

Does anyone have any photos for Dynon autopilot installation for my "Skyview" in my RV6? :D

Autopilot photos for Dynon installation?

We installed the Dynon to go with the D100 and also an AP74. True autopilot
functions with the Value button on AP74 serving as 3 different functions, 1. Baro press set, 2, heading bug set (push twice), 3 Altitude set (push 3rd time) and you can change both without using buttons on D100;)
We also coupled the Garmin 496 using the existing plug from the rear of the unit to access the "blue" wire for data into the pin #22 on rear of D100, so we also have course capability from the 496.
We also installed a 4 A CB & disconnect switch next to the D100 and have 0 issues with ease of shutting off. The stick grip is the reccommended location but I really did not want to open up that area unless something is broken and it isn't so I left it alone. You have the luxury/option of doing the stick switch during the build and I reccommend that highly.
Hope the info helps
Blue Skies:cool:

Does anyone have any photos for Dynon autopilot installation for my "Skyview" in my RV6?:)

Autopilot servo

Mark,
I installed my autopilot servo in the wing during the wing build and was told by Ken ar Vans that this was okay. Just to remember when putting on the wings and adjusting the ailerons/ flaps you start with the ailerons and the tooling holes, do it first the rig the flap to the aileron and then do the tip since you will to be able to use the aileron jig they supply..

When installing the aileron Dynon recommends that you breakout the red and black ground wires from the d sub connector you can ground the servo at the wing.. You will only wire up 4 wires inthe d sub connector the blue, green, blue white and the green white. The installations manuals tells you which pins are used.
When you get to the fuselage you can use Dynons Network Hub and just plug the servo in and then join the elevator and the aileron servo positive wires together and then run only one power wire to your 12 v buss

I am wiring up my fuselage now and have been hitting the manual hard.

Hope this helps.
Smilin Jack

Back