What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manifold pressure installation for Skyview

PeteP

Well Known Member
Just started studying the manifold pressure sensor for my Skyview system. Dynon doesn't give much advice on the plumbing between the sensor and the engine except to tell you that you need a 1/4" ID hose at the sensor. What has been found to be an acceptable method and material to accomplish said plumbing.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Restrictor, braided hose, firewall fitting to tube, rubber hose

I used a VANS restrictor fitting on the engine -4 braided to the firewall with a flair to 1/4" hose firewall fitting to connect to the MP sensor installed on the cabin side of the firewall.

Later, I installed a T fitting to feed a PMag.

I used a VANS restrictor fitting on the engine

Pete,

There are many threads discussing pulsing or inconsistant MAP readings, without the use of some sort of restrictor somewhere in the line. I didn't have a restrictor at the cylinder, so I modified the fitting at the firewall.

Fitting and Rivet:
201010251144_3_0_m.jpg

Squeez the rivet to match the ID of the fitting... press fit:
201010251150_50_1_m.jpg

Rivet Pressed into fitting:
201010251150_24_3_m.jpg

Drill hole:
201010251150_24_0_m.jpg

Manifold Pressure lines

Found a nice restricter fitting for the engine and have the Vans braided hose that comes with the Vans MP kit. The Dynon MP Sension require a section of 1/4" ID hose to attach to the sensor. Was going to you a short piece of Tygon tubing but I noticed it is rated for 160 degrees max. What kind of flexable 1/4" tubing should I use here?

Pete

MP Connector

I too have the Dynon unit. I recollect the stainless steel terminating at a fitting on the firewall and the rest of the connection done on the inside of the firewall.

Does the P-mag need to see a restricted pressure, or just the MAP sensor?

I just saw this while doing some research for an EICommander customer. While my reply is four years behind, the following is good to have in the archives.

The answer is, Yes.

If the MAP is bouncing around, which it will do without the restrictor being installed upstream of the P-mags, the P-mags will fire where they are directed to based on the RPM and manifold pressure reading. Since you don't know where the pressure is when the sample is taken for the firing angle algorithm, it could be based on high, low, or a negative vacuum. (Positive pressure)

Yes, the MAP lines do see high intensity, short duration positive pressures. This typically happens when the intake valve slams shut and it has caused problems with the P-mags. In fact, it is this issue that caused the problems that lead us to P-mag version 40.

Last edited:
Back