What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosegear fairing - how/whether to trim hole?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Hey, guys,

Starting my nosegear fairing installation, have the brackets on the fork, but it sure doesn't seem like the rear portion of the fairing as it comes from Van's will "slip onto" (as the instructions say) the brackets. Just a quick question before I goober it up and have to fix it (or order another one)...

Did you have to cut the opening for the tire and make it bigger on the stock part as it came from Van's?

I don't want to cut it if it's not necessary, but it sure "don't look right" from my first attempts at getting it on...

TIA, as always!

Steve

I had to cut a lot out of mine to get it to pass the brackets and get the 5/8 inch clearance per side on the tire. I still have to spread the bottom a little to get it on. I must have trimmed an inch per side to get things to clear.

Wheel pants

I agree with Jim. It is another one of those try to put it on, take it off and trim, put it on, take it off and trim jobs. You will probably pinch your fingers a couple of times too.

Steve,
Make sure you trim enough away from the wheel, especially at the rear of the opening. I had a tire that was a little soft flatten enough on a landing that it bit into the rear of the wheel pant and kinda tore it up. I now run with the max air pressure of 70 lbs and check it frequently. I also actually had the rear half split at a forming seam when spreading it enough to pull over the bracket. Not a big deal but I had to beef up the pant from the inside.
I think they all take a bit of finesse to put on and off.

Last edited:
Steve,
Make sure you trim enough away from the wheel, especially at the rear of the opening. I had a tire that was a little soft flatten enough on a landing that it bit into the rear of the wheel pant and kinda tore it up. I now run with the max air pressure of 70 lbs and check it frequently. I also actually had the rear half split at a forming seam when spreading it enough to pull over the bracket. Not a big deal but I had to beef up the pant from the inside.
I think they all take a bit of finesse to put on and off.

I've started trimming it and such to fit, and I see what you're talking about, will do.

It seems to be a real booger to get over the brackets, though. And that doesn't seem to be something that can be changed, as you can't trim the *front*. I really had to pull to spread the thing open, and even then it was difficult to get it over the brackets.

Hope I'm not doing something wrong here...

Back