What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice to those following

Skint

Well Known Member
I have about 6 hours into test flying my RV7a. There are a couple of things I would like to pass along that might help other up and coming builders. Maybe others can add to it....

1) Whilst working in the garage, hang out at the airport with other builders as much as you can. Join the local EAA chapter. Their advice will save you hours of frustration and speed your build.

2) Listen to all the advice ( there will be a lot) but weigh it yourself.

3) The plans are not perfect.

4) If you wake up in the night because something is bothering your latest construction, double back and make it right.

5) Do not yell at your partner because she snapped off two bolts with the torque wrench whilst you were upside down in the footwell holding the other end of the 3/16 bolt. She may be reluctant to return.

6) Yes you will need aileron trim.

7) Keep a count of your bucking bars. When using them inside the wing, put down towels or foam......they make nasty dents when dropped.

8) Expect to have perfectly smooth skin on your arms after working on the wing skins. All lumps, bumps and growths will have been shaved off during the riveting process. Blood is not corrosive.

9) Take lots of pictures. Not just for the DAR but also to lift you up when the going gets rough.

Back