What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing intersection fairing assistance

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
This is for an RV-6A, but RV7-A info may help as well.

For those that have already completed the wing intersrction fairing, I would appriciate a picture of how you finished the aft edge on the top and bottom.

For the top, where is the farthest aft screw, is it still in the rib, or did you try to squeeze one in just forward of the flap?

On the bottom, did you interface with the bottom fuselage skin? Tuck it under or share a screw?

The RV-6A plans leave a lot to the imagination in this area. I'd like to see what has worked for others. Thanks!

On my RV-4 I put a nutplate as far back as I could without the nutplate (with screw) touching the flap.

I had a spare 0.025 sheet of 2024-T3, so fabricated one continuous strip from bottom center fuselage skins over wing tip and back to rear of top skin. I guess the same could be done on RV-6/7.

Finn

The -7 plans have nutplate locations specified. PM me your email and I'll get you a copy of that drawing.

On my RV-4 I put a nutplate as far back as I could without the nutplate (with screw) touching the flap.

I had a spare 0.025 sheet of 2024-T3, so fabricated one continuous strip from bottom center fuselage skins over wing tip and back to rear of top skin. I guess the same could be done on RV-6/7.

Finn

Finn,
Thanks for the info. I have a continuous strip as well, it is really that aft screw I was worried about. Sounds like I can cram one in.

Colin,

My website has a couple of pictures of my wing intersection fairings. Look at them and see if you can get the info that you need. If you do not, let me know and I will go out to the airport and take some close up pictures for you. I installed the wing fairings a couple of years ago and they fit perfectly.

Colin,

My website has a couple of pictures of my wing intersection fairings. Look at them and see if you can get the info that you need. If you do not, let me know and I will go out to the airport and take some close up pictures for you. I installed the wing fairings a couple of years ago and they fit perfectly.

Paul,

I looked through your log (project looks great), the one thing I dont see is how you terminated the aft end of the fairing on the bottom. Did you put it on top of under the fuslage skin, or just trim it to butt up?

Thanks,
Colin

Back