What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 crate dimensions

iamtheari

Well Known Member
It's an exciting day in RV-14 world. My engine has finally shipped. Does anyone know the dimensions of the crates that Lycoming sends these in? I need to plan the safest way to take delivery and transport it into my basement and I need to be ready for it when it shows up on Tuesday.

Options include a pickup box and an aluminum flatbed trailer, both of which have pros and cons as far as getting it into the house. I also could put pallet forks on my skidsteer to transfer it from the mode of transport over the threshold of the basement French door, from where I can get it onto moving dollies on the floor and unpack it before lifting it with the engine crane. However, operating the skidsteer underneath my upstairs deck has its own pros and cons.

The shipping weight says 475 lbs, but if anyone knows the actual weight of the crate I'd certainly like to know that in advance as well.

Thanks, all. Happy building!

It ships on a pallet base so you can pick up with pallet forks. It fits between the wheels in the bed of my F150 pickup. Not sure actual weight, just what the paperwork says. Enjoy, it's an exciting time!!

Not sure of the actual pallet dimensions but it looks like a standard sized pallet.

Last edited:
Is your engine arriving in the timeframe that was originally promised? I have a delivery date for my engine for the end of April - just wondering how much delay to expect.

Is your engine arriving in the timeframe that was originally promised? I have a delivery date for my engine for the end of April - just wondering how much delay to expect.

I had an original "dock date" of 12/13/2018. I was one of the group who had delays due to Lycoming having trouble getting cylinders. As of mid-January, my dock date was moved back to 2/28/2019. No further delays occurred and it was picked up by UPS Freight on 3/5/2019 for delivery to me on 3/12/2019.

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess is that you'll have your engine before Memorial Day.

39" by 44"

32" high
38" high with pallet

It comes in a box and not a crate. it has a no tip gadget on the side of the box, so you will know if it has not been level.

Mine was rolled into garage by UPS guy with a pallet jack. very uneventful.

Back