What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will Dynon HDX Control a Trutrak Digiflite II VS Autopilot v2.43

mfshook62

Well Known Member
I am doing a full panel upgrade on my RV9a. I am installing a Dynon HDX and would like to keep my existing Digiflite II VS autopilot and servos. Will the industry standard full NMEA serial output from the HDX GPS control the Digiflite and typically work without issues? Are there any calibration issues that need to be performed for this installation?
Thanks for your expertise,

Last edited:
Will a Dynon HDX Control a Trutrak Digiflight II VS Autopilot

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I finished the installation and can now answer my own question.

I retrofitted my avionics panel and just installed a new Dynon HDX with ADSB in and out to replace my Garmin 430 stack and assorted gauges. I wanted to save some money and installation time by keeping my existing Trutrak Digiflight II VS Autopilot and servos. I read through the Dynon Installation Manual and it stated that the serial port will output NEMA 0183 data. The Trutrak Installation Manual mentioned it will accept NEMA 0183 serial port data. Before I started this project I got some conflicting reports by a few knowledgeable folks that the HDX should, or would not completely control the Trutrak AP, because Dynon serial Full NEMA out data does not contain an altitude command. As it turns out, those folks who mentioned it would not work were closer to the truth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]After the HDX installation, and configuring the AP serial output port to “Full NMEA” , the flashing “*” appeared on the TT display. The TT autopilot does follow a Dynon course heading and flight plan, but the Dynon does not integrate altitude, pitch, or vertical speed changes with the TT. Fortunately, the autopilot will hold altitude on its own and climb at a manually set vertical speed by following it's static port pressure input. I did have to turn up the vertical activity on the TruTrak from 3 to 10 to get it to respond accurately to pitch changes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I am not an IFR pilot and just use my autopilot to follow a course and altitude setting, while I perform other tasks, so I am somewhat satisfied with the outcome. I would certainly like to have the ability to perform the neat autopilot tricks like go-arounds, VNAV, and ILS approaches. So, if you want to fly an approach and need to have the HDX integrate with a Trutrak Digiflite II autopilot, than you will need to consider a different setup.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back